PDA

View Full Version : North or South for a 12 day hike of Roan Mt in June?

mjmjm
04-18-2017, 23:36
Looking for input on the direction of hiking. I've heard it is a tough hike and wondering about starting north and going south to ease into the climbs. Any suggestions are welcome for a 12 day hike somewhere in this area?

MuddyWaters
04-19-2017, 00:03
Erwin to damascus fits the bill
Go north
Its just average AT

illabelle
04-19-2017, 05:40
If you're hiking for 12 days, it'll be hard to avoid tough climbs, especially when you consider that Roan Mtn is among the highest elevations of the entire trail. Only way to get up there is to climb. Some of them are bound to be tough.

We went north over Roan in 2015. The climb up from the south has faded from my memory, but the descent on the north side is much clearer. I remember that it was extensively switchbacked and gently graded. There was evidence of a lot of trail work, including an erosion control fabric visible under much of the tread. I remember reading somewhere that these relatively new switchbacks replaced a section of trail that was steep and difficult.

bigcranky
04-19-2017, 07:09
A twelve day hike will cover a lot of ground on the AT in this area, Roan Mountain and the surrounding balds will be maybe 2-3 days of that. You could start in Damascus and head south, it's ~70 miles to US19E and the start of the climb up to the balds, so you'd get there in about a week, with a relatively easy start. You can probably get to Erwin in 12 days of hiking at an average pace. That's a nice section.

Rmcpeak
04-19-2017, 07:24
For what it's worth, here's a link to my trip report for the Roan Highlands. We only did a 42 mile section (Indian Grave to 19E). Make the breakfast at Mountain Harbour part of your plan. http://hikingbob.blogspot.com/search/label/Roan

mjmjm
04-19-2017, 23:12
Forgot to ask about shuttle. If we go from Erwin to Damascus (which ever direcction we take) are there shuttles if we leave our car at one end?
Also, planning on the 2nd and 3rd week of June and wondering about what we might need for warm clothes,?

MuddyWaters
04-19-2017, 23:18
Forgot to ask about shuttle. If we go from Erwin to Damascus (which ever direcction we take) are there shuttles if we leave our car at one end?
Also, planning on the 2nd and 3rd week of June and wondering about what we might need for warm clothes,?

Either end can park you and shuttle you
In erwin, park at uncle johnnys and have them arrange shuttle

In damascus...more options, but mount rogers outfitters can do same. Or, others.

Rmcpeak
04-20-2017, 07:49

If it were me, I'd probably call Woodchuck Hostel (http://www.woodchuckhostel.com/) in Damascus -- I had a very good experience with Woodchuck on a section hike. I'd arrange to leave my car there and would ask for help arranging a shuttle. He might be able to shuttle you or will refer you to someone. I'd get shuttled down to Erwin and hike back up to Damascus. That's just how I'd do it. In mid-june in VA I would probably pack only my Houdini UL jacket and a long underwear top for insulation, if that. Last summer in mid-july (I know it's a month later), I packed ZERO insulation other than my quilt. My ONLY extra item of clothing was my Houdini. I hiked half-naked in shorts only most of the time. My shirt was a cap 1 tank which I barely wore. On a June hike I might want just one light insulation layer, for nights and morning -- the long underwear top. Again, that's just me. I'd probably use my UL tarp as "rain gear." It'll be warm and in a pinch I can use my 40 deg quilt as insulation around camp on a cool evening or chilly morning.

Ashepabst
04-21-2017, 11:03
whichever gives you better timing for the Rhodo bloom.

JumpMaster Blaster
04-22-2017, 01:08
12 days at about 10 miles per day will get you from Hot Springs to Roan Mountain. Several bail out points along the way, and some of the best damn hiking you'll find in the south. If you time it right, you can park at Mountain Harbour B&B/Hostel in Roan Mountain, get shuttled to HS, and hike back north in the height of the rhodo bloom. Or, you could shift north a little and start from Erwin and head towards Damascus. That'll get you some really good hiking as well.

Price out leaving your car and shuttles with the hostels and outfitters in either direction (Bluff Mountain Outfitters in HS, Uncle Johnny's/ Tom "10K" Bradford in Erwin, Mountain Harbour in Roan Mtn, Mount Rogers Outfitters/Lone Wolf in Damascus).

Some of the climbs are strenuous coming out of the gaps, but manageable if you go slow and take breaks. For all the big hills I climbed, I remember the declines even more. The climb up Roan is switchbacked so it's really not that bad. The Smokies were far worse by 100%. Here's a link to my blog where I did the Roan Highlands in early July https://justalittlesolitude.com/2014/06/30/rainy-roan-mountain/ and again the next year in June https://justalittlesolitude.com/2015/06/13/roan-highlands-again/

Uncle Cranky
04-22-2017, 15:27
For very inexpensive shuttle service contact NetTrans, the county Dial-A-Ride service, in Johnson City, TN. They provide rides to just about any location in the northeast corner of the state within Carter, Greene, Hancock, Hawkins, Johnson, Unicoi and Washington counties. The catch is they are not an on-call taxi service. They only operate on weekdays (they do not operate on legal holidays) and limited service on Saturday. You can call toll free 800-528-7776 and schedule an appointment any time (it is best to call before 12 noon) at least 24 hours before you need a ride. For Monday service you must call by the prior Friday. Reservations are scheduled on a first come, first served basis and are subject to availability. They do not provide service outside the state but will pick-up/drop-off at the state line. Damascus is less than 2 miles north of the VA-TN state line near the township of Sutherland, TN on TN-133. From Mt Rogers Outfitters on Laurel Ave take South Shady Ave south to the intersection of TN-133 and Davis Road, just over the state line. Make the arrangement with NetTrans to pick-up at that intersection.