PDA

View Full Version : Padding for bail handle on titanium pot

DryFlyHiker
04-19-2017, 10:42
Holding onto a full pot filled with my hot supper is uncomfortable. The bail handles just don't rest well on my fingers when the pot is full. Resting the pot on my leg isn't an option either because it is too hot. I suppose I could create a pot cozy but I was looking for ideas on how to pad the bail handles yet still allow them to fold up against the side of the pot.

Deadeye
04-19-2017, 10:55
this stuff does the trick:

https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/dub/dub222.htm

HooKooDooKu
04-19-2017, 12:53
The problem I had with my Titan Kettle was that the handles would still get too hot to hold comfortably.
Similar to Deadeye's suggestion, I carefully removed the handles and slid two layers of heat shrink tubing on the main part of the handles and replaced them.
The process of removing the handles helped to loosen them up so that there isn't as much heat transfer now, and the two layers of heat shrink tubing provide just enough insulation to prevent the handles from burning me.
I don't own a heat gun (you need something much hotter than a hair drying to shrink the tubing), but I got the job done with either the heat of the stove or my plumbing propane torch (don't recall which).

rocketsocks
04-19-2017, 13:22
Back when my hands were literally fire proof and like leather from years of working with nothing cooler than about 1,900 hundred degrees I didn't use a thing, but since then I've gone soft and girly like (no nails though) domesticated and dish pan handed...so now I just use a bandana.

Jayne
04-20-2017, 10:52
Maybe this is stating the obvious, but I use my pack towel when I grab the handles. Works pretty well and the handles cool quickly enough to hold in my bare hands pretty fast.

The Kisco Kid
04-20-2017, 12:04
Shrink tubing did the trick for me.

QiWiz
04-20-2017, 13:16
silicone tubing is an option to consider; pretty easy to thread over the removed handles

Rhughesnc
04-23-2017, 21:07
Might want to check if there is a heat resistant version of the liquid rubber.

Rhughesnc
04-23-2017, 21:08
http://www.extremeheatprotection.com/high-temperature-heat-resistant-liquid-silicone-rubber-end-dip-sealant-adhesive-paste-paint.html