PDA

View Full Version : New York advice

icebeard
04-19-2017, 13:49
Hello everyone!
Looking to do 5-6 days in New York on the AT mid May. Average to above average experienced backpacker, 12-16 mi days are my norm. Any suggestions for starting/ending points, shuttles, etc? Thanks in advance!

Rex Clifton
04-19-2017, 14:24
There are so many better trails in NY than the AT. If you go up to the Catskills the Escarpment Trail is a good 3 day hike. Then the Whittenberg, Cornel,
Slide loop should round out your itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Kisco Kid
04-19-2017, 16:46
May is a nice time to go. You'll encounter very little crowds. Harriman State Park (NY17 -Arden Valley Road to Kent, CT (just a few miles over the border) or route 22 at the AT train stop. You can connect directly to NYC from there.

Also, New York is just under 90 miles. If you go hike 6 days at your 15 miles a day pace, you've done the whole state. If you're feeling up to a totally doable challenge, go for the whole enchilada!

ATC Shuttle List (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/at-shuttles-parking-amp-vandalism-2017-04-18.pdf?sfvrsn=0)

QuietStorm
04-19-2017, 18:06
Hello everyone!
Looking to do 5-6 days in New York on the AT mid May. Average to above average experienced backpacker, 12-16 mi days are my norm. Any suggestions for starting/ending points, shuttles, etc? Thanks in advance!

Will be there starting at the CT/NY line on 5/20 and hiking SOBO through May 27th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rafe
04-19-2017, 19:23
I've started two separate section hikes from the east end of the Bear Mtn. Bridge. One year it was NOBO into MA, the next year it was SOBO down to Palmerton, PA.

Well, not that it helps you much -- that was a convenient access point 'cuz my sister in law lives very near there. I used commuter rail, bus lines, and private vehicles to complete the loops and return home.

The ridge over Greenwood Lake is fun. A day or so north of that is a section nobody much likes, called "Agony Grind." It's all more or less average difficulty as far as the AT goes. No soaring peaks, and plenty of PUDs.

coach lou
04-19-2017, 21:36
There are many places to camp thru Bear, Harriman, and Sterling Forest. On the east side of the Hudson the trail corridor is barely a corridor and the opportunities are pretty much 'designated'.
The rooms are expensive, but a nero at the Bear Mtn. Inn is nice. If you roll thru during Sunday brunch............in a mile or so, you could stealth nice and sleep it off. Bear Mtn. is crowded from the river to the summit, but the next 30 are much less.

There is merit in what Rex says, but the AT must be checked off.

Say hello if you walk thru a work crew with green shirts:D

Longboysfan
04-25-2017, 13:41
I would start at Bear Mtn. and hike North.