PDA

View Full Version : Konnorock Crew work week

shorembo
04-19-2017, 21:29
I was thinking about doing a week hike on the AT but was having trouble finding hiking companions in my area.

Instead, I am now thinking of just doing a work week, probably with Konnorock Crew.

Anyone have any experience with them and know what it is like? I am 53 but in pretty good shape. I run 3 times a week, road bike once, and lift once or twice. Also, I have done three 5 day AT hikes in the last 5 years.

Thanks for any info...

Acacia
04-20-2017, 05:21
Do it. Very different experiences the two times I volunteered with Konnarock: weather-wise, bear-wise, crews, crew leaders. But both times were near Carvers Gap, which is a beautiful area. I wouldn't do it justice giving a quick description here, so you'll just have to use some imagination, do research, and take the plunge. Here are Konnarock's blogs and photos: http://konnarockcrew.blogspot.com

Also, physically you'll do just fine.

Lauriep
04-20-2017, 05:28
Shorembo,

Do it! Trail crew is really fun and incredibly rewarding and gratifying. It is very hard work, but you'll be guaranteed to sleep well at night. You make wonderful friends, and the satisfaction of building or improving a piece of the A.T. with your own hands is something you can be proud of for the rest of your life.

Trail crew work for me is a lot harder than backpacking, which has been second nature for a long time--especially if I haven't been going to the gym and working my upper body. But many people I know consider it easier than backpacking (especially those who hike with heavy packs). Most trail crew sessions will require you backpack in to a remote site and camp out in one location for several days, although sometimes rustic housing is provided and you just walk in to the site every day.

Working on crew will deepen your understanding and appreciation for the A.T. and the volunteers who work on it. You'll never see the A.T. in the same way again.

Dogwood
04-20-2017, 08:10
Amen.......

JEBjr
04-20-2017, 08:57
Bust Tail, Build Trail! Our club uses the Konnarock base camp for our Spring outings. Hard work but everyone I have ever met that was a member of one of the crews found it very rewarding. Good luck and thank you for volunteering.

soilman
04-20-2017, 11:12
I have done Konnarock, Mid Atlantic, Long Trail Patrol, Maine, and Rocky Top over the last 20 years but keep coming back to Konnarock. Have my reservations for a week in June this year. I have experienced different kinds of trail work and most of it is physically demanding, but extremely enjoyable. Plan on getting sweaty, dirty, and well fed. I would not worry too much about your physical abilities as the crew leaders will not push you to work beyond your capacities. I have worked with people of all ages, from 16 to 76. What I usually do is work a week at Konnarock than do a 2-3 day hike after. Last year I went down to Max Patch. Previous years to Mt. Rogers since it is so close to base camp. I agree with Laurie that after working on crew you have a different perspective of the trail. It was fun on my AT thru hike to walk over some of the trail project I had worked on in the past and see that they were still holding up.

handlebar
04-24-2017, 20:17
Yet another, "Do it!" But, be forewarned: it can become habit-forming. I started with 2 weeks with Konnarock the year before my AT thru and have now logged well over 26 sessions with various AT trail crews. You'll be part of a very age-diverse group of folks and have the satisfaction of seeing your hard work turn into something that will last decades. For my first session, I was 60 and last year I was 71. Haven't booked crew week(s) yet this year, but definitely plan to.

shorembo
04-27-2017, 22:03
I took yall's advice and have signed up for a week.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tennessee Viking
04-28-2017, 11:29
Never did Konnarock personally. But I have worked along side with Konnarock crews as a TEHCC maintainer. Very social group of volunteers. And we loved treating the crews with food and recognition for their help with more of the technical projects; Relos, rock work, bridges, major tread rehab.

When you sign up, you report to Sugar Grove VA for staging and training for each project. Then toward the weekends you shuttle to the project areas. Camp at the site or nearby. Work 2 or 2.5 days depending on the project. Then return back to Sugar Grove.

And you get awesome T-Shirts.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/conservation/advocacy/trail-management/trail-crews/konnarock-trail-crew

soilman
04-28-2017, 20:27
Never did Konnarock personally. But I have worked along side with Konnarock crews as a TEHCC maintainer. Very social group of volunteers. And we loved treating the crews with food and recognition for their help with more of the technical projects; Relos, rock work, bridges, major tread rehab.

When you sign up, you report to Sugar Grove VA for staging and training for each project. Then toward the weekends you shuttle to the project areas. Camp at the site or nearby. Work 2 or 2.5 days depending on the project. Then return back to Sugar Grove.

And you get awesome T-Shirts.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/conservation/advocacy/trail-management/trail-crews/konnarock-trail-crew

Just want to clarify, the work week is 5 days. First day usually is spent traveling, setting up camp, tool safety, and perhaps a half day of trail work. The last day is usually a short day in the field, breaking camp, traveling back to Sugar Grove, and cleaning equipment. I have worked several times with TEHCC, a great trail club. Got my 100 hour patch a couple of years ago.

shorembo
01-07-2019, 21:42
I never updated by experience but I ended up going in 2017 and had a great time. I plan on trying to get back this year.

Dogwood
01-08-2019, 02:02
Konnarock is great. What an atmosphere. If up to it SWEAT CREW and Rocky Top in GSMNP are great experiences. Behind the scenes vibe and insider info and feeling of contribution on croos of this organized caliber are off the hook. Hike and contribute at the same time...way to go. :banana

Dogwood
01-08-2019, 02:04
Working on crew will deepen your understanding and appreciation for the A.T. and the volunteers who work on it. You'll never see the A.T. in the same way again.

That's a Golden Nugget from Laurie.

rmitchell
01-08-2019, 21:13
Frequently there are posts from those with limited funds or experience. Working with a trail crew is an excellent way to gain experience at very little cost. Crews can provide loaner equipment and will provide all the food you can eat.

rmitchell
01-08-2019, 21:26
One caution: trail work is addictive.

I haven't done Konnarock, but have worked on four SWEAT crews and one Rocky Top crew.

If you want to get an intimate view of the Smokies these two crews are a great way to do that. Backpacking you cannot stay but one night at any spot on the AT but the crew will usually be in one area for 5 days.

And get a cool t -shirt and patch.

It is hard work.

Dogwood
01-09-2019, 00:19
Frequently there are posts from those with limited funds or experience. Working with a trail crew is an excellent way to gain experience at very little cost. Crews can provide loaner equipment and will provide all the food you can eat.

...This^^... And, you'll get some physical on trail conditioning. That's a GRREAT WAY to prep for a thru