PDA

View Full Version : Solvitur ambulando — “it is solved by walking.”

Dogwood
04-21-2017, 01:37
Hemingway, Thoreau, Jefferson and the Virtues of a Good Long Walk

Solvitur ambulando — “it is solved by walking.” This phrase refers to the 4th-century-B.C. Greek philosopher Diogenes’s response to the question of whether motion is real — he got up and walked. “It is solved by walking.” As it turns out, there are many other problems and paradoxes to which walking is the solution. For instance: In our culture of overwork, burnout, and exhaustion, in which we’re connected and distracted 24/7 from most things that are truly important in our lives, how do we tap into our creativity, our wisdom, our capacity for wonder, our well-being and our ability to connect with what we really value? Solvitur ambulance.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/arianna-huffington/hemingway-thoreau-jeffers_b_3837002.html

Arianna Huffington wrote this intriguing article. Mrs Huffington nails it in this well written piece!

Leo L.
04-21-2017, 04:56
So true!

BTW, why this phrase from the Greek native Diogenes is delivered in Latin language one can only guess.
And why Diogenes' name is allowed to be mentioned in public in the US, due to him having been the most extreme proponent of, hmmm, lets put it polite, "political in-correctness", I have no clue.

But still his statement is so true!

Deacon
04-21-2017, 05:37
Waking can be very therapeutic.

On December 25, 2014, Christmas Day, our 34 year old daughter was killed in a one car accident. For me, grief was faced best by walking.

I know what Earl Schaffer meant by "walking off the war".

Greenlight
04-21-2017, 06:59
So true!

BTW, why this phrase from the Greek native Diogenes is delivered in Latin language one can only guess.
And why Diogenes' name is allowed to be mentioned in public in the US, due to him having been the most extreme proponent of, hmmm, lets put it polite, "political in-correctness", I have no clue.

But still his statement is so true!

Rome embraced Hellenization and preserved it substantially intact. Latin began as the language of government when Greek was the language of the market, but at a certain point, Latin became the language of The dominant culture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Leo L.
04-21-2017, 08:28
So Diogenes, having been absolutely a man of the market (reportedly he lived on the market square, in his wooden drum, doing all his businesses in the public) would twist in the grave if he read this in Latin.

But I well understand that Latin is the language that is far better known than (ancient) Greek.

But I don't want to drift off topic too far.
The article linked by Dogwood cites Thoreau that at times he felt bad when he couldn't "shake off the village" when he walked in the woods.
Unfortunately I had this happen during my most recent desert trip, when old private problems came up again and again, and I just couldn't help munching on them.
On most other trips just walking did the trick, after a few days out my mind was roaming free, as free as my body was.

illabelle
04-21-2017, 08:42

On December 25, 2014, Christmas Day, our 34 year old daughter was killed in a one car accident. For me, grief was faced best by walking.

What a Christmas! So sorry to hear this. Makes my reasons for walking sound utterly trivial.

saltysack
04-21-2017, 09:53

So sorry......my 25 year old brother was paralyzed in a car accident to just before Christmas that same year....walking sure does help clear the mind and allow one to be at peace.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogwood
04-21-2017, 14:50
But hiking/thru-hiking is a vacation? :rolleyes:

BuckeyeBill
04-21-2017, 16:11
Deacon,

So sad that a day that should be so joyous is easily marred by sadness. Walk strong, walk long.

BuckeyeBill
04-21-2017, 16:12
sorry that should have said marred by tragedy.

Traillium
04-21-2017, 17:55
Hemingway, Thoreau, Jefferson and the Virtues of a Good Long Walk

Solvitur ambulando — “it is solved by walking.” This phrase refers to the 4th-century-B.C. Greek philosopher Diogenes’s response to the question of whether motion is real — he got up and walked. “It is solved by walking.” As it turns out, there are many other problems and paradoxes to which walking is the solution. For instance: In our culture of overwork, burnout, and exhaustion, in which we’re connected and distracted 24/7 from most things that are truly important in our lives, how do we tap into our creativity, our wisdom, our capacity for wonder, our well-being and our ability to connect with what we really value? Solvitur ambulance.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/arianna-huffington/hemingway-thoreau-jeffers_b_3837002.html

Arianna Huffington wrote this intriguing article. Mrs Huffington nails it in this well written piece!

Great piece of writing — though I'm somewhat saddened to see one of my favourite quotes 'ruined' by a (seemingly accurate) explanation. I'm glad Diogenes solved the philosophical conundrum of whether motion is real by the simple act of getting up and walking. But I've long treasured the idea that Diogenes was more in the vein of the others quoted by Huffington in achieving peace and understanding by pensive ambulation. Oh well …

FreeGoldRush
04-21-2017, 18:28

“Idleness is only the refuge of weak minds, and the holiday of fools.”
― Philip Dormer Stanhope, Letters to His Son, 1746-47

Malto
04-21-2017, 19:16

Yes it is, a therapeutic one!