PDA

View Full Version : Caledonia to Pine Grove Furnace

plcd22
04-21-2017, 18:49
Planning a hike with my brother and our wives from Caledonia to Pine Grove Furnace! None of us are big hikers but we enjoy getting out in the woods.

I am havin a hard time finding any information (without buying a guide, but don't plan on doing much just wanted to go for a 2 day hike).

Couple questions:
1. Are there camp sites along that stretch or would we have to stay in the S.P.?
2. If there are sites is there one about half way between Caledonia and Pine Grove Furnace?
3. How far is that stretch and can 4 novices do it in 2 days or maybe more like 1.5 days (leaving Friday from Caledonia around 4pm) in a couple weeks (May 2017)?

I am sure there are other questions but for now that will get me started!

Thanks in advance for your help!

PAHiker
04-21-2017, 19:18
About 20 miles from Caledonia SP to Pine Grove Furnace.

2.7 miles in is Quarry Gap shelter
10.0 miles in at the halfway point is Birch Run shelter.
16.3 miles in is the Toms Run shelter

more info at: www.cnyhiking.com/ATinPA-CaledoniaStatePark

plcd22
04-21-2017, 20:29
Thank you for the quick response PAHiker - do I have to reserve them or pay any fees?

lwhikerchris
04-21-2017, 20:36
That stretch is really enjoyable and easy. You get to walk through a pine forest where the trail is cushiony from all the pine needles. Yes, you can do it in 1.5 days. I would probably walk 10 miles to Birch run and stay there, then the next day walk to Pine Grove Furnace. Be sure to stop in the general store once there and get the hiker burger, one of the best burgers on the entire trail.

plcd22
04-21-2017, 20:38
That stretch is really enjoyable and easy. You get to walk through a pine forest where the trail is cushiony from all the pine needles. Yes, you can do it in 1.5 days. I would probably walk 10 miles to Birch run and stay there, then the next day walk to Pine Grove Furnace. Be sure to stop in the general store once there and get the hiker burger, one of the best burgers on the entire trail.

Thank you!

Do you have to use the "shelters" or are we allowed to camp along the trail and of course LNT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lwhikerchris
04-21-2017, 20:38
Shelters are free. There aren't any caretakers there so you are on your own. But this time of year hikers are starting to come through so you will likely have company. You can tent around the shelters you choose and there are bear hangers for your food at night.

lwhikerchris
04-21-2017, 20:39
There are several campsites along that walk where you could easily set up tents, but you might not have access to water. Shelters are almost always next to water sources.

plcd22
04-21-2017, 20:42
About 20 miles from Caledonia SP to Pine Grove Furnace.

2.7 miles in is Quarry Gap shelter
10.0 miles in at the halfway point is Birch Run shelter.
16.3 miles in is the Toms Run shelter

more info at: www.cnyhiking.com/ATinPA-CaledoniaStatePark

That was funny I was confused because Rt. 30 and 233 intersect at Caledonia so I couldn't figure out how that was considered a section... but I looked at "google maps" and I see what that means now - THANKS again!

SkeeterPee
04-21-2017, 21:19
Birch Run was a nice stop when I went through there. Nice stream, several tent spots, shelter, privy, and bear hanging pole. Room for hammocks.

plcd22
04-21-2017, 21:21
Birch Run was a nice stop when I went through there. Nice stream, several tent spots, shelter, privy, and bear hanging pole. Room for hammocks.

That sounds great we have hammocks and a small tent [emoji1360]

NJdreamer
04-21-2017, 21:55
Birch Run also used to have handmade furniture - benches and tables - near the creek. With your back to the front of the shelter, the furniture is by the creek about a 2 minute walk, walk away from the shelter towards the creek. Look for it. It is beautiful. I was last there in 2014.

plcd22
04-21-2017, 21:57
Birch Run also used to have handmade furniture - benches and tables - near the creek. With your back to the front of the shelter, the furniture is by the creek about a 2 minute walk, walk away from the shelter towards the creek. Look for it. It is beautiful. I was last there in 2014.

Nice [emoji1360] that sound like a good spot for dinner :)

SkeeterPee
04-21-2017, 22:18

is that 2 min along the trail? north or south? I think I missed that aspect. As I recall (2015) that shelter is like 50 ft on one side of the trail and the creek is 50 -100 on the other side of the trail. There was a seating and campfire area on both sides of the trail, but it was not 2 min walk to the creek.

NJdreamer
04-21-2017, 23:19
Here are 3 photos of the furniture. It is not directly on the trail. That shelter has lots of tent areas. I don't know the direction but likely is west or east. Walk with back to shelter and towards creek. AT trail will be continue to right at a diagonal. This was in mid 2014. I checked my shelter photo against the ones on the Internet and am positive it was at this shelter. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170422/5312e3ea4e97577fe88a0b91b6b60b45.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170422/0d245107a06c0d096848cb516881dd67.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170422/f9ee599d0cf132633124f9681fe43c42.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

plcd22
04-21-2017, 23:20
Nice pictures NJDreamer [emoji1360][emoji1360]

SkeeterPee
04-21-2017, 23:40
very cool pictures. I missed that.

To the OP there are a lot of rhododendron in that section. Sometimes you are in a tunnel of the. I expect this is beautiful when they are blooming. I went through in November so that was all that was green.

plcd22
04-21-2017, 23:42
very cool pictures. I missed that.

To the OP there are a lot of rhododendron in that section. Sometimes you are in a tunnel of the. I expect this is beautiful when they are blooming. I went through in November so that was all that was green.

I would imagine that there is a lot of Mountain Laurel along the way too - I am looking more and more forward to this trip with all of this great insight - thank you!

Lyle
04-22-2017, 13:47
I haven't seen where anyone has mentioned the fairly horrendous climb up to the ridge from Caladonia State Park. Very steep and rocky. For first-time hikers, the first mile will be a killer. Nice and easy once you get up there, but you have to get up to the ridge.

plcd22
04-22-2017, 13:48
I haven't seen where anyone has mentioned the fairly horrendous climb up to the ridge from Caladonia State Park. Very steep and rocky. For first-time hikers, the first mile will be a killer. Nice and easy once you get up there, but you have to get up to the ridge.

LOL everyone was probably trying not to scare us away [emoji6]

PAHiker
04-22-2017, 16:22
I have done that section a couple times and never felt that it was all that bad of a climb.

la.lindsey
04-23-2017, 04:54
I did this section SOBO in December. If you're interested in winter pics/my whining, it's covered here, starting at boiling springs:

1-3: boiling springs to deer lick shelter

http://birthdaygirlhikes.com/2016/12/12/1-3-boiling-springs-to/

I evidently didn't know the name of quarry gap shelter, despite it being in one of my pictures.

plcd22
04-23-2017, 22:50
I did this section SOBO in December. If you're interested in winter pics/my whining, it's covered here, starting at boiling springs:

1-3: boiling springs to deer lick shelter

http://birthdaygirlhikes.com/2016/12/12/1-3-boiling-springs-to/

I evidently didn't know the name of quarry gap shelter, despite it being in one of my pictures.

Wow great blog and what an adventure [emoji1360][emoji1360]

dudeijuststarted
04-23-2017, 23:12
My very first section and where I discovered the AT by accident while walking around Caledonia SP! We asked a ranger where the Appalachian Trail was and he just pointed to the white blaze without looking at us. He is now forever idolized in our group as "Hard Ranger." This section also includes my favorite shelter on the AT (Birch Run) which has tons of room to set up camp.

I almost died trying to do PGF to Caledonia in a single day as our first AT outing (although on my thru it was like going for a Saturday AM stoll lol.) Two days you will be fine. It's a beautiful and well maintained section of trail, I hope you enjoy it and fall in love with the trail...

plcd22
04-25-2017, 10:28
My very first section and where I discovered the AT by accident while walking around Caledonia SP! We asked a ranger where the Appalachian Trail was and he just pointed to the white blaze without looking at us. He is now forever idolized in our group as "Hard Ranger." This section also includes my favorite shelter on the AT (Birch Run) which has tons of room to set up camp.

I almost died trying to do PGF to Caledonia in a single day as our first AT outing (although on my thru it was like going for a Saturday AM stoll lol.) Two days you will be fine. It's a beautiful and well maintained section of trail, I hope you enjoy it and fall in love with the trail...

Thank you - plans are coming together for a May 12-13 adventure - probably not getting on the trail till noon or so on Friday, hopefully making it 10 miles to the shelter then finishing up on Saturday at Eagle Rock in PGF

thedom
04-28-2017, 10:17
Hello everyone!!
I am the brother for this trip, BTW. Might I say, awesome info and feedback on this trek!! Very helpful! I am sooo ready to get out into the wild!!

plcd22
04-28-2017, 10:35
Hello everyone!!
I am the brother for this trip, BTW. Might I say, awesome info and feedback on this trek!! Very helpful! I am sooo ready to get out into the wild!!

Hey thedom - welcome to our feed [emoji41]

plcd22
05-06-2017, 22:09
Only 5 days left!

plcd22
05-15-2017, 01:09
Here is a small pic sample of this hike IF ya'll are interested we can post more pics...?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170515/bb093487464da3dc0aaf39ed360e48d5.jpg

SLACPak-AJ
10-10-2020, 11:29
how did it go?
We just did this section in reverse (SOBO) starting in Pine Grove and finishing in Caledonia over 3 days 2 nights. 6 miles, 11 miles & 2 miles. The finish in Caledonia was steep downhill, must have been a tough start for a long 2 days if you did that.

AJ of the SLAC Pak

plcd22
04-16-2021, 00:06
how did it go?
We just did this section in reverse (SOBO) starting in Pine Grove and finishing in Caledonia over 3 days 2 nights. 6 miles, 11 miles & 2 miles. The finish in Caledonia was steep downhill, must have been a tough start for a long 2 days if you did that.

AJ of the SLAC Pak

It was a great first hike for us - since then we have done several more similar trips on the AT and we are planning one hopefully in the next month or so (the south half of MD). Planning a 2 day hike again starting Friday ending Saturday. Then we will have completed all of MD and from the MD/PA line up to Duncanon PA.