PDA

View Full Version : Rain/cold gear leaving Harper's Ferry

Wesgoat
04-22-2017, 09:23
I am leaving May 4 and hiking to Katahdin. I have a Marmot precip rain jacket, a cheap poncho, and a mid weight fleece. I am not taking thermal (Will mail to myself before whites), just long and short sleeve shirts. Walking in shorts.

I have research temps and they average around 70 high 50 low. Of course, we all know there can be extremes in weather. Worrisome is cold rain.

I am definitely taking the poncho. Still undecided about the rain jacket and fleece. Do I really need both? Either?

Would like some thoughts from anyone that has hiked this area around that time.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

egilbe
04-22-2017, 10:48
What do you wear in the area you live when the temps are in the 50's and raining?

Rmcpeak
04-22-2017, 16:27
I am not a thru hiker but I've done sections as long as 150 miles and have done about 600 miles of AT in past two years... with that being said, I find the Precip to heavy unless it is pretty cold outside. I much prefer a Houdini (UL wind jacket with DWR). I like the Houdini over a fleece or UL down and under a Packa. That combo gives me a lot of options. So, my suggestion is swap your Precip for a UL wind shirt or jacket and go.

dcdennis
04-24-2017, 07:24
I am not a thru hiker but I've done sections as long as 150 miles and have done about 600 miles of AT in past two years... with that being said, I find the Precip to heavy unless it is pretty cold outside. I much prefer a Houdini (UL wind jacket with DWR). I like the Houdini over a fleece or UL down and under a Packa. That combo gives me a lot of options. So, my suggestion is swap your Precip for a UL wind shirt or jacket and go.

If you opt for a houdini ive got one in near mint condition for sale here on WB for $70.

moldy
04-24-2017, 07:40
I have done this hike in the late Spring. I say bring the fleece and poncho. The rain jacket is overkill. You need the fleece to warm up at the end of the day if you are all wet. If you get word of an impending snow storm, get out of there and visit a town for a few days because you are not equipped for it.