PDA

View Full Version : Weather forecasts.

Ethesis
04-23-2017, 11:56
I'm hiking from Harpers Ferry to Luray later this week and was looking at the weather forecasts.

It looks pretty warm for my 15 degree bag and I was thinking of taking a lighter quilt instead.

I was wondering how accurate the the weather forecast for that part of the world is.

I'm thinking of just a forty degree quilt instead.

Anyway, appreciate thoughts from those with more experience.

Old Hiker
04-23-2017, 13:05
Which forecast? My Android phone has weather.com and intellicast.com on it. I just looked at the radar, mostly, as townies and hikers alike were pretty inaccurate with upcoming weather.

Biggest surprise in 2016 was the "light rain" predicted at Blood Mt by the locals that turned into over 4 inches of snow. After THAT, radar got turned on almost every day.

Everyone can make mistakes, but radar is hard to ignore.

windlion
04-23-2017, 18:49
I'm hiking from Harpers Ferry to Luray later this week and was looking at the weather forecasts.

It looks pretty warm for my 15 degree bag and I was thinking of taking a lighter quilt instead.

I was wondering how accurate the the weather forecast for that part of the world is.

I'm thinking of just a forty degree quilt instead.

Anyway, appreciate thoughts from those with more experience.
Wunderground has another burst of rain going through northwestern VA at the head of the week, temps 50s to 80s with low winds thereafter. Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

dcdennis
04-24-2017, 07:23
use atweather.org. i found them to be nearly flawless with accuracy.

Turk6177
04-24-2017, 13:27
wunderground.com offers historical weather data to help you make up your mind.

RockDoc
04-24-2017, 13:41
I've found the weather forcasts of big storms in VA-NC to be very accurate, many days in advance. We carry NOAA weather radio (ham bands) and listen as the tracked storms get closer and closer, then BAM! Because of this we have been able to plan decent shelter for times when the storms hit, otherwise we usually tent. You don't want to be caught out in the open when a big storm hits, ask me how I know... However storms of this size are rather rare, maybe one/month or less.