PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know...

IslandPete
04-23-2017, 19:41
If permethrin treated articles would be affected by Scotchguard waterproofing afterward? Or vice-versa? Thinking about shoes/gaiters specifically. After last weeks rain, I was thinking about waterproofing the footwear...
Pete

BuckeyeBill
04-24-2017, 06:11
I know that Insect Shield will not treat clothes that are waterproof or water resistant (DWR).

moldy
04-24-2017, 07:45
It won't hurt a thing to apply both. Start with the permethrin. The scotchguard won't do much good to keep you dry in the rain.

IslandPete
04-24-2017, 08:00
It won't hurt a thing to apply both. Start with the permethrin. The scotchguard won't do much good to keep you dry in the rain.
I was hoping the Scotchguard would help with the rain that falls on my feet while walking. I have trail runners, and wear a poncho, and even without stepping in puddles my feet are soaked...

Leo L.
04-24-2017, 08:06
Up to my experience, all those waterrepellent/-proofing sprays do help only for the first few drops of rain. I sprayed family-sized bottles on my shoes and it did help exactly nothing against real rain.

IslandPete
04-24-2017, 08:36
Up to my experience, all those waterrepellent/-proofing sprays do help only for the first few drops of rain. I sprayed family-sized bottles on my shoes and it did help exactly nothing against real rain.
I was afraid of that...

Rain Man
04-24-2017, 11:39
One or the other, but not both. Permethrin works by soaking in and binding to the fabric, which the insect then comes in contact with. Scotchguard's design and purpose inhibit both of those functions.

saltysack
04-24-2017, 11:44
No real way to keep your feet dry....embrace the misery! No such thing as WP shoes or boots that I'm aware of...apply body glide and change socks often....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Berserker
04-24-2017, 12:08
No real way to keep your feet dry....embrace the misery! No such thing as WP shoes or boots that I'm aware of...apply body glide and change socks often....
Yep, this ^

And I would add to choose footwear that dries quickly. Most trail runners will dry out in a few hours compared to full leather Gore tex boots that will stay wet for days. There's no way to stop water from getting in those Goretex Boots by the way (and if it ain't water it's sweat), so I recommend the trail runners.

IslandPete
04-24-2017, 14:25
I have trail runners, and they do dry pretty quickly. Even so my socks and feet stay wet a while, and I worked up a blister. I was hoping the Scotchguard would work like it does on boat canvas, which can be so old you can see through it but water will bead up.