04-23-2017, 20:22
Anyone has a preference?

Thanks

Tundracamper
04-23-2017, 20:47
For what, exactly?

daddytwosticks
04-24-2017, 07:26
If you are asking north to south or vise versa, I always go south to north on this route. Eliminates the big climb going southbound out of the NOC. More importantly, so nice to finish at the NOC. Secure parking right there, shower, food, beer. :)

Rhughesnc
04-24-2017, 08:56
Sorry, parking at NOC, need a shuttle to Winding Stairs Gap. Thanks

Rhughesnc
04-24-2017, 08:57
Looking for advice on a Shuttle from NOC to Winding Stairs Gap

Uncle Joe
04-24-2017, 09:55
When are you doing this hike? I'm hoping to hit it in May sometime.

Rhughesnc
04-24-2017, 10:56
I was hoping to go the weekend of May 6th, but my partners look like they have called an audible, so now it might be the end of the month, or I might go alone. Let me know if you want to meet at NOC and split a shuttle.

Uncle Joe
05-15-2017, 21:44
I'm thinking Memorial Day weekend. Is there an issue parking at the NOC?

daddytwosticks
05-16-2017, 07:11
I'm thinking Memorial Day weekend. Is there an issue parking at the NOC?

I'm hiking from Deep Gap NC to the NOC from 5/22 thru 5/26. I called ahead to the NOC and inquired about long term parking. Seems like the SOP changes each year. I was instructed over the phone to stop at the General Store and get a parking pass and instructions on where to park when I arrive on Monday to leave my car. Memorial Day weekend is always a zoo at the NOC. I've ended several hikes there in the past over the memorial Day weekend. Never had a parking issue when I followed their instructions. Have a great hike. :)

Uncle Joe
05-16-2017, 09:07
I'm hiking from Deep Gap NC to the NOC from 5/22 thru 5/26. I called ahead to the NOC and inquired about long term parking. Seems like the SOP changes each year. I was instructed over the phone to stop at the General Store and get a parking pass and instructions on where to park when I arrive on Monday to leave my car. Memorial Day weekend is always a zoo at the NOC. I've ended several hikes there in the past over the memorial Day weekend. Never had a parking issue when I followed their instructions. Have a great hike. :)

Great! Thanks for the information. Yeah, I figured it will be a zoo that weekend.

scope
05-16-2017, 11:02
Looking for advice on a Shuttle from NOC to Winding Stairs Gap

Did that hike some years ago, but can't remember who the shuttle was. Remember it was in the neighborhood of $100. I'd call the outfitter at NOC as well as the Hiker Hostel as they likely have some sort of list. Might even try Uber.

Just my 2cents here, of the top 5 or so places I've camped, this route has 3 of them... the shelf at Siler bald halfway up the side trail to the bald; hanging in Wayah tower - or just tenting nearby would be ok as the lights at night and sea of clouds below in the valley are quite a sight; and on top of Wesser tower.

jcollier1971
05-24-2017, 15:04
A friend and I are considering Winding Stairs Gap to NOC on June 8-10. Or NOC to Fontana Dam. Thoughts on which would be better? Thanks. Jeff.

Uncle Joe
05-24-2017, 18:18
I'm about to do that section to. WS to NOC. I'd prefer finishing at the NOC. If I get there hangry there's plenty to eat! :p

MuddyWaters
05-24-2017, 22:58
A friend and I are considering Winding Stairs Gap to NOC on June 8-10. Or NOC to Fontana Dam. Thoughts on which would be better? Thanks. Jeff.

Im not familiar with fire damage from last yr

But ws-noc used to be the epic part of south at.
Siler, wesser, wayah, lookout towers, the jump

Noc-fontana, not so. Really only has cheoah bald.

jcollier1971
05-26-2017, 08:51
Thanks. That sealed it for me. One question. Are there areas off the edge of the balds or nearby to hang a hammock? Thanks. Jeff.

scope
05-27-2017, 15:41
Siler - there is one potential spot at the shelf site, otherwise there's a good grove of trees on the other side of the bald summit trail from where the AT crosses.

Wayah - the tower is about it, but there is a campsite quarter-mile down hill nobo where several hammocks can go.

Wesser - at least one good spot, another several potential spots. But if you're ever gonna be on the ground, being on top of the tower is the thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tundracamper
05-28-2017, 08:55
I just finished Winding Stairs to NOC. Had planned to do all the way to Fontana. However, the hike down to NOC is brutal. The trail is very steep for long sections, some of the steps are quite high, and there are some rocky places. We had heard the trail from NOC north was even worse, so just stopped at NOC.

My only suggestions on hammocks is the last shelter prior to NOC doesn't really have many trees for hammocking. There are a couple, but if someone is already there your hosed. Wayah shelter has several trees for hammocking that are still alive. Just avoid the ones that clearly died from the fire.

Uncle Joe
05-28-2017, 09:55
Was planning this hike this weekend but the storm forecast scared me off. I'll plan another 3-day weekend to do it. Good information. Maybe I tent this section.

daddytwosticks
05-28-2017, 14:46
Was planning this hike this weekend but the storm forecast scared me off. I'll plan another 3-day weekend to do it. Good information. Maybe I tent this section.
I was supposed to do a five day hike starting at Deep Gap and ending at the NOC from this past Monday thru yesterday. I bailed at Rock Gap on Tuesday evening due to the relentless constant cold rain and the predicted storm front which passed thru on Wednesday. In addition, Thursday was another rainy, chilly day down here in the valleys. Two positive notes: Friday I did a day hike from Winding Stairs Gap to Siler' Bald. Awesome weather. Finally, nature seems to be repairing the fire damage all along the trail from Deep Gap thru Carter Gap. There was still evidence of a fire, but the forest floor is fully green and most of the trees were fully leafed out.