PDA

View Full Version : Repacking tent poles and fly stuff sack options

Rhughesnc
04-23-2017, 21:47
Want to go with the MSR Hubba Hubba with poles and fly only. Looks like the fly might fit in the pole bag, but are there better options?

Thanks

Venchka
04-24-2017, 17:04
I have the same tent. I wondered about using the fly alone if I knew, "for sure and for certain", that insects would not be a problem. Give me a shout when you figure it out.
Oh. I ditched the factory MSR nail stakes in favor of (6) 8 1/2" long x 3/8" diameter Easton stakes and 4 ancient aluminum shepherd's hook stakes that I already had. Better holding in varied ground and saved a few grams.
Cheers!
Wayne

Rhughesnc
04-24-2017, 18:29
I have a 4 person Mountainsmith tent. The pole bag for that seems to be about right. Now that I have that figured out, I just saw that the ticks on the trail will be brutal this year....looks like the tent is making the trip!

Venchka
04-24-2017, 19:58
I have a 4 person Mountainsmith tent. The pole bag for that seems to be about right. Now that I have that figured out, I just saw that the ticks on the trail will be brutal this year....looks like the tent is making the trip!

There it is. It's not just the flying insects that a tent provides protection from.
Thanks.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
05-04-2017, 15:50
A simple plastic grocery store bag fits in my pack so much better than the long skinny stuff sacks that come with most tents...

DuneElliot
05-04-2017, 15:54
I have the same tent. I wondered about using the fly alone if I knew, "for sure and for certain", that insects would not be a problem. Give me a shout when you figure it out.
Oh. I ditched the factory MSR nail stakes in favor of (6) 8 1/2" long x 3/8" diameter Easton stakes and 4 ancient aluminum shepherd's hook stakes that I already had. Better holding in varied ground and saved a few grams.
Cheers!
Wayne
You'll be good in the WRR with that set-up. Bug season will be over.

Venchka
05-04-2017, 18:06
You'll be good in the WRR with that set-up. Bug season will be over.

Good to know. I'll have a choice of fly only shelters since the StratoSpire 1 arrived.
Wayne