PDA

View Full Version : Iron Mountain Trail into Damascus (Old AT)

FrogLevel
04-24-2017, 15:24
I've made it my goal this summer to hike as much of the "old" AT as possible and this 45~ mile section is my next on the list. Does anyone have and info on the water situation? Is it comparable to the current Iron Mountain section of the AT? Any other info I should know?

Lone Wolf
04-24-2017, 16:13
the tennessee section from shady valley to damascus is very dry

10-K
04-24-2017, 18:45
I've hiked it. North of Damascus is plenty of water. South of Damascus I remember only 2 water sources - a spring about 8 miles from Cross Mt. Rd and a creek not far after you leave Cross Mt. Rd. There are metal mile markers on the section south of Damascus - pretty cool.

Tennessee Viking
04-24-2017, 19:43
Tick heaven south of 421.

There is also a short walk from the trailhead passed the radio towers and down a faint wooded road to the current AT. But it does require crossing a small bit of private property.

There is also the Holston Mountain Trail it was the original AT

Mr. Bumpy
04-24-2017, 21:41
It is a great trail to hike. I have looped to the north twice, once from Damascus and once from Bear Tree Campground. The shorter loop is from Bear Tree where you can pay a few bucks and leave your car. Swim and shower when you return. There are at least three shelters that I remember on the IMT north of Damascus. It has been half a dozen years though.

Dogwood
04-25-2017, 01:13
Tick heaven south of 421.

There is also a short walk from the trailhead passed the radio towers and down a faint wooded road to the current AT. But it does require crossing a small bit of private property.

There is also the Holston Mountain Trail it was the original AT

Does the HMT end at the old fire tower or can you continue hiking along the ridge on trail, ....? What Nat Geo map is this on? I'm looking for a 200 mile or so loop or end to ender of good scenic diversity involving the IMT probably starting/ending in Damascus or some other large town where I can get a ride, likely public transportation, back to Atlanta.

Tennessee Viking
04-25-2017, 09:51
Does the HMT end at the old fire tower or can you continue hiking along the ridge on trail, ....? What Nat Geo map is this on? I'm looking for a 200 mile or so loop or end to ender of good scenic diversity involving the IMT probably starting/ending in Damascus or some other large town where I can get a ride, likely public transportation, back to Atlanta.The HMT technically starts at the old Holston Mtn FireTower. There is a small road walk to the trailhead from the gate at Panhandle Road on the ridgetop. But you can follow the ridgetop Forest Road passed the TV antennas and FAA beacon. The AT used to follow the horse trails down to TN91 near Hunter community and followed the roads to Watauga Lake.
http://tehcc.org/wiki/Holston_Mountain_Trail.
Holston and Watauga Lake Nat Geo Maps (#783).

I read up on some of the old route from Erwin to Damascus. It used a lot of state, logging and USFS roads. But a lot of it has disappeared now. Only a few trails still exist.

Mr. Bumpy
04-25-2017, 10:26
Does the HMT end at the old fire tower or can you continue hiking along the ridge on trail, ....? What Nat Geo map is this on? I'm looking for a 200 mile or so loop or end to ender of good scenic diversity involving the IMT probably starting/ending in Damascus or some other large town where I can get a ride, likely public transportation, back to Atlanta.

I've never done the south out of Damascus as a loop, but the maps have you being able to connect up with some forest service and county road work. It doesn't look too bad if you time it correctly.
The Nat Geo maps you are looking for are the #786 Mt Rogers and #783 South Houston.
Don't ask me what usgs quads those are, but I probably have them :-?

FrogLevel
04-25-2017, 11:13

I did the HMT last week and its along the ridge pretty much until you get to the Double Springs Shelter. You can park shortly before the towers on Holston. There's one decent source of water half way between the towers and the shelter. The trail is well marked.