PDA

View Full Version : H2O Demands

heyman62
01-27-2006, 10:38
My wife and myself are into our first year of real hiking. We will be taking 2 to 4 day hikes in the White Mountains of NH as well as other areas olong the AT in New England. Have all the gear and was wondering what you non-newbies keep on hand for water per person. I know this can change for all of us. I'm packing pills and a filter. Weight is everything to many of you, so how much water do you carry? We are quite excited about this year and look forward to seeing some of you on the trails.

George:sun

bulldog49
01-27-2006, 10:57
I generally carry a quart of water. If I know there is a long dry stretch ahead then I will carry more. Some folks will carry less and fill up more often
but I prefer to carry a little more and not have to stop as often.

Depending on how much you sweat, the difficulty of the trail and the weather conditions there is really no one answer. It's better to carry a little more than you need until you gain some experience.

Before you leave camp in the morning, drink as much water as you can, and also when you stop at water sources. This will reduce the amount of water you will need to carry.

Footslogger
01-27-2006, 11:47
I start off the day with a full 1.8 Liter Platypus in my pack and a 20oz gatorade bottle attached to my shoulder straps with shock cord.

That combination seemed to work well for me on my thru-hike. I can generally hike 5 miles comfortably on a Liter of water/fluid. Whenever I passed a water source I typically sucked down whatever was left in my 20oz bottle and refilled/purified it so that I alway had that as a reserve if my Platy ran dry.

'Slogger

khaynie
01-27-2006, 12:01
Start the day with a 1.75 lieter platypus. If the next water source doesn't fall within 1/2 of the day's hike, I'll start with the aformentioned plus a 20 oz gatorade bottle. The latter makes a good water scoop...

mingo
01-27-2006, 12:14
drink a lot of water in camp, half-gallon in the summer, then go without water to the next source if it's within 5 miles or so. then drink a lot at the spring (no need to treat) and go without water to the next one assuming it's close enough. if you're not carrying water, you move more effortlessly and, in turn, you don't need as much water. conversely, if you're hauling a lot of water, you sweat and need more water. it's a vicious cycle. bottom line: carry only what you need to make it to the next source. drink a lot at each source so you can carry less water, or none at all, to the next source.

JP
01-27-2006, 13:35
I'am getting old and lazy, so I carry a gallon ziplock bag to use when the water source is not close to the shelter or campsite. Then I only make one trip to water and have enough to start the next day.

vipahman
01-27-2006, 14:09
Hydrate yourself well before the trip starts and you have less to carry. Also hydrate yourself well at each water source. I used to carry 3L of water until I was persuaded to go with 2L or less and follow above advice. 2L works good for me for 20 mile/day hikes. I still carry an empty 1L Platypus for those places where water might be scarce on the trail or far off the trail.

Kerosene
01-27-2006, 17:49
Two liters, supplemented by a 16- or 20-ounce soda bottle if it's really dry. I once ran out on a hot day with 5 miles to go until finding water, so I tend to carry more than I really need.

Peaks
01-28-2006, 18:15
For me, it all depends on how far to the next water source. Generally speaking, I only carry 1 liter. But, depending on the situation, I sometimes carry more.

mweinstone
01-28-2006, 20:29
and if needed i can fill any amount needed into my 6 litre dromdary.at camp the first thing i do is fill my 1.5 litre colapsable nalge and my 6 litre dromlite and my 2 litre cookpot.i need 2 litres to eat ,one to wash ,two to drink while i sleep,two for breakfast,1 to wash in the morn and 1.5 litres to walk away with.this allows me to walk far from water sourses to sleep if i want to sleep up on a high dry place, the pinnical in PA is such a place.

Ridge
01-29-2006, 05:47
I usually carry a 2.5L bladder and a 20 oz bottle for when the bladder runs out to get me to the next water source. So just over 3 L Max at any one time. I wouldn't filter and chem treat, just filter.

jackiebolen
01-29-2006, 12:44
I always "camel-up" before I start the day. This means that I will drink probably 2 L or more in hot weather in the morning with breakfast. Then I will carry 1-3 L depending on heat and water sources. When I get to camp, I would always try to drink another 2 L early in the evening to get hydrated and so I wouldn't be peeing all night. Always check the guidebook and go from there for water.

hustler
01-29-2006, 12:57
I carry about 70 oz, which is probably more than enough most of the time. On really hot days I carry almost 100 oz or so.

partly cloudy
01-29-2006, 23:50
When I did the Whites it was an exceptional week, above 60 daytime. I carryed 3L and ran out half way up Boot Spur. Found a soggy section of land and sucked a waterhole dry. Watch the weather report for central N.H. It will give you a good, but not completely accurate, forecast for rainfall. If it's dry for the week before, carry alot of water. Very dry once you are above the treeline. There are some water sources on the approch trail to "big George" but not many. Be prepared for the worst weather.

I'd rather beg forgiveness than ask permission