PDA

View Full Version : Ankle brace for hiking...

tlbj6142
01-27-2006, 11:58
I had a very serious ankle sprain about 6 weeks ago (playing Wallyball). I'm still in PT, but I expect I'll be "done" in another 2-3 weeks. I seriously doubt it will 100% the next time I hit the trail. Any recommendations on an ankle brace that I could wear 10+ miles per day that provides some stability. I don't expect this brace to prevent an ankle roll like say an Active Ankle brace, just give me a bit more confidence when I hit the trail.

Footslogger
01-27-2006, 12:06
Any type of ankle brace (if worn securely) is going to limit your natural range of motion and cause you to modify your gait and stride. Not suggesting that you go without the brace but my experience tells me you'll end up with referred stress/pain to other muscles/tendons/ligaments on that leg and possible the other one due to the restriction.

A good high top boot may be all you need. I would suggest that you do as much as possible prior to your hike to strengthen the ankle and practice walking with a hiking boot to test the stability of the ankle before resorting to a brace.

'Slogger

Seeker
01-27-2006, 12:54
Any type of ankle brace (if worn securely) is going to limit your natural range of motion and cause you to modify your gait and stride. Not suggesting that you go without the brace but my experience tells me you'll end up with referred stress/pain to other muscles/tendons/ligaments on that leg and possible the other one due to the restriction.

A good high top boot may be all you need. I would suggest that you do as much as possible prior to your hike to strengthen the ankle and practice walking with a hiking boot to test the stability of the ankle before resorting to a brace.

'Slogger

i sprained my ankle skydiving once, and wore some sort of thin ankle support (available in the health aids section of a pharmacy) made of an ace bandage-like material... i could run comfortably in it. didn't seem to effect my stride at all...

Footslogger
01-27-2006, 13:06
i sprained my ankle skydiving once, and wore some sort of thin ankle support (available in the health aids section of a pharmacy) made of an ace bandage-like material... i could run comfortably in it. didn't seem to effect my stride at all...
==================================
The elastic ankle supporters you mentioned are not really braces but may work OK in this case. Depending on the thickness of the support though it might be a tad uncomfortable inside a boot ??

'Slogger

mingo
01-27-2006, 13:20
i used to wear one of those lace-up braces that they sell at drug stores. it worked great

Kerosene
01-27-2006, 17:55
Recognize that, unless you're fully recovered, you are likely to experience ankle soreness and you won't have the benefit of ice to decrease swelling. Ibuprofen will help keep the swelling in check somewhat, but you may want to stop and soak your ankle in a stream periodically.

With a sore ankle and/or enough bracing you can certainly force a change in your stride, to the detriment of other parts of your body. The lace-up braces with side support stabilize the ankle pretty well, but you're likely to get blisters where the sides of the brace rubs against your foot. It would be better if you can find something like this (http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/detail?prodid=151555&previousURI=/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/search?page=1^Query=ankle+brace^ActiveCat=65), with a minimal edge to it.

digger51
01-27-2006, 21:44
I have used one of those slip on elastic supports I got from Dicks Sporting Goods for the past couple of years and it is great. Thin, but enough support that under my boots, or in the off season my golf shoes, that it is very comfortable. My ankle turns very easily and since I started using this I have had no problems with it.

bartender
01-27-2006, 22:26
I shattered my ankle in 2000 to the tune of a metal plate and 6 screws to put it back together. For that reason I wear boots and not trail runners on longer hikes. For the first couple of years after I wore one of the drug store lace up braces while playing softball tennis etc. I really wasn't doing any long distance hiking durring this time. The lace up brace was ok for short term high impact activity but I don't think it would work for five or six hours of walking. They are not very comfortable at all. Talk to your physical terrorist(they like that name) and see what they say, I think a pair of mid-weight boots would work. I wear Vasque Clarions and had no problem at all, then again my LT hike was four years later.

coltleader
07-12-2011, 14:15
I had a very serious ankle sprain about 6 weeks ago (playing Wallyball). I'm still in PT, but I expect I'll be "done" in another 2-3 weeks. I seriously doubt it will 100% the next time I hit the trail. Any recommendations on an ankle brace that I could wear 10+ miles per day that provides some stability. I don't expect this brace to prevent an ankle roll like say an Active Ankle brace, just give me a bit more confidence when I hit the trail.

I know this thread is old, but I would like to reopen the discussion. I'm beginning to think I need an ankle brace. I try to hike 25 miles a week and I believe it is taking its toll on the right top half of my ankle. It really feels like a grinding annoyance, yet it's painful. My hiking partner who joins me on about half of my miles, wears a brace but doesn't remember where he got it. I need some advice on a good brace. I have come across a website called http://www.ultraankle.com but I would like a review before I look into it further. If anyone has used them, please let me know! Thanks!

The Old Boot
07-15-2011, 16:45
I don't go out the door without a pair of T2 Ankle Braces on.

After 45 years of constant sprains, strains and torn ligaments I fell a couple of years ago from the bottom step and broke one ankle and sprained the other. Xrays revealed that I had previously broken the now sprained ankle. I ended up in a wheelchair for 3 months (that really, really sucked!)

I can't recommend the T2 braces enough. They allow full flexibility of my feet without allowing me to roll or invert my ankles.

The only problem I have with them is in the heat of the summer, I tend to get heat rash because the neoprene and hard plastic pieces don't allow evaporation...wool socks help somewhat with that. I just accept that a prickly heat rash is the price I pay for my safety.

I can hike for miles (and do) with these things without the constant worry about when I'll twist another ankle. Rock scrambles are not a problem either.

If anyone has permanent (or even temporary) need of a brace that will absolutely prevent inversion, I'd recommend these over any lace up or wrap style brace.