PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag suggestion for GA trip

fivemillionsteps
04-26-2017, 18:50
I just received my Osprey Exos 48, and it looks it looks like a work of art.

As I predicted my old North Face Cat's Meow won't work... it's huge, even compressed. I thought it would take up too much space, but it actually fills the whole pack!

I need to buy a smaller bag, but hopefully under $100. My first actual trip on the AT will be in Georgia. The majority of suggestions is late September or early October, and I was thinking that something like a Marmot 55 degree, perhaps with an additional flannel liner. It's certainly much lighter, and is supposed to compress to 5.5" x 5.5", although I take that with a grain of salt.

Does this sound reasonable for Fall in Georgia? Any other suggestions for a better bag with limited funds that might even eliminate the need for a liner, but not take up my whole pack?

Thanks!

Randy

skater
04-26-2017, 19:49
Assuming you are hiking the AT or BMT, and will be up in the higher elevations - no, it does not sound warm enough unless you tend to run on the hot side at night. While any given year might run warm, you're likely going to want something in the 30 degree range for that time of year. Remember the temp ratings are survival range, not comfort range. If your budget limits you to this, a liner and extra layers could probably get you through the night, unless it really turns cold.

saltysack
04-26-2017, 19:55
I froze my arse of in early October in a cheap 30* synthetic bag on the Ga AT years ago...hell no!!! Save up for a decent 20 bag/quilt and buy once....it will last many years.....keep eye on used gear section here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rmcpeak
04-26-2017, 20:41
I froze my arse of in early October in a cheap 30* synthetic bag on the Ga AT years ago...hell no!!! Save up for a decent 20 bag/quilt and buy once....it will last many years.....keep eye on used gear section here...

What he said.

MuddyWaters
04-26-2017, 21:11
You could see overnight temps from 30-65

What do you think you should bring to be on the safe side?

I was tramping around in Va for a week in october, forecast was for 40s, maybe high 30s . Several nights were 65. Hottest october I can recall. You just never know.

fivemillionsteps
04-26-2017, 22:37
Well, I guess I have time to save for a better bag. Comfortable sleep is important :-).

Thanks

Maineiac64
04-27-2017, 06:34
Dont forget a good sleeping pad too.

MtDoraDave
04-27-2017, 06:56

I agree with these sort of opinions.
A sleeping bag is NOT the place to try to save money. Going cheap is only going to yield a bulky and heavy sleeping bag... or one not warm enough.

I bought an $80 "down" 32 degree sleeping bag at wally world that stuffs down to the size of a football and weighs 1 lb 12 oz... and it may be okay down to about 40 degrees, but if the temperature drops below that (as is always a possibility in the mountains), it will be a very very uncomfortable and possibly unsafe night. (November in the GA mountains, temps dropped into the 'teens - wearing 3 layers of thermals I was still cold all - night - long! )

If you can find a used one, awesome... but while you're watching for a good used down bag, keep saving money.

bigcranky
04-27-2017, 07:05
Yeah, the Appalachians in October or even late Sept can get chilly a night. I wouldn't bring a 55F rated bag any month of the year in Georgia.

In my personal opinion, based on owning a lot of sleeping bags over the years ranging from cheap synthetics to "good" synthetics through cheap down to the very best down bags, the sweet spot for cost vs quality right now is a quilt from Enlightened Equipment. A 30F rated quilt is about $250 -- expensive, yes, but compared to $450 or more for a similarly made bag from Western Mountaineering, it's a bargain.

As you predicted (and proved), switching to a light pack while using other "traditional" gear doesn't work very well. It's a process :)

MtDoraDave
04-27-2017, 07:06
... I'd rather strap stuff to the outside of the pack than chance going into the mountains in cool weather season without enough sleeping bag.

If going on a week or longer hike, the extended forecast isn't accurate enough to safely judge temperatures 6 or 7 days out. I have had a cold front come in on my last night of a week-long hike that I was unprepared for.

I now carry overkill on the temperature rating of my sleeping bag. I want to KNOW that I can crawl inside my sleeping bag and get/ be warm.

P.S. Even when it's cool/ cold out, don't forget to drink enough water when you hike. Being dehydrated decreases the body's ability to regulate temperature.

saltysack
04-27-2017, 08:01
Yeah, the Appalachians in October or even late Sept can get chilly a night. I wouldn't bring a 55F rated bag any month of the year in Georgia.

In my personal opinion, based on owning a lot of sleeping bags over the years ranging from cheap synthetics to "good" synthetics through cheap down to the very best down bags, the sweet spot for cost vs quality right now is a quilt from Enlightened Equipment. A 30F rated quilt is about $250 -- expensive, yes, but compared to $450 or more for a similarly made bag from Western Mountaineering, it's a bargain.

As you predicted (and proved), switching to a light pack while using other "traditional" gear doesn't work very well. It's a process :)

[emoji106]I've been cold in NC during the summer in my 45-50* JRB quilt....now just carry my 20* EE quilt w lt base layer...the 20* is actually about the same wt as the 45 from JRB....30* would be ideal but not shelling out more $$$.....only reason I'm keeping 45 is for winter layering...I sleep cold...

happypad
04-29-2017, 15:51
I used a Kelty Cosmic down 40 last year in October and was more than comfortable.

Blindwolfoncasters
05-04-2017, 23:36
I really like Marmot bags. Been using a Pinnacle 15˚ 800 fill bag since the 90's. Very warm, pretty small and 2 1/2 lbs. A friend has the Atom. that's a summer bag only. Due to the construction. Sewn-through seams mean warm weather only. The Never Winter might be a good choice for you: 2lbs, 30˚ pretty small stuffing.should be adequate warmth for that area in late spring/early fall, but you may need to layer on cold nights. Don't forget your beanie and your woolies!