PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag packed size vs Osprey Exos 48

fivemillionsteps
04-26-2017, 22:55
Hi -

I'm not new to camping, but am new to backpacking, and can use all of the help that I can get. I've been scrounging & making stuff for the past several months for a backpacking trip and have a good start.

I just got an Osprey Exos 48 and realized how much of the internal space a sleeping bag will take. Is there a general rule of thumb regarding the stuffed size of a sleeping bag relative to the size of your pack? I've started looking for a down filled bag rated 20 degrees (comfortable in low 30's?) that will fit my pack and budget.

A couple of 3 season bags that I saw tonight are these...

1) Kelty Cosmic Down 20 Sleeping Bag $169 Stuff Sack Size 8x14 inches 3 lbs. 1.6 oz
2) The North Face Furnace 20 Sleeping Bag $189 Stuff Sack Size 9x16 inches 2 lbs. 12 oz.

I suppose that obtaining a compression sack would help save space too.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcomed.

Randy

Uncle Joe
04-26-2017, 23:09
Don't use a compression sack. Just stuff the bag into the bottom of your pack. A stuff sack will leave gaps that simply stuffing your bag will fill in. Definitely look at Down for best insulation and compressibility. The Cosmic Down gets good reviews. Take a look at some top quilts as well.

MuddyWaters
04-26-2017, 23:24
It depends
The farther you want to hike, the more room you need for food. All that matters really is your stuff fits.

I abide by this as a rough guide:

AllDownhillFromHere
04-26-2017, 23:44
My synthetic bag (North Face Cats Meow) fills up the 8x15 stuff sack it came in, and I have a silk liner, to keep it clean and to add warmth. I have the same pack; the bag/sack fits neatly into the bottom with plenty to spare. Do you still have the supplied stuff-sack? if not look around for a waterproof one that will tame the volume. Down packs smaller of course - that North Face bag looks pretty good, although if you have tons of money you could get something with a higher fill power, and therefore less space. Avoid the compression sacks, as you'll just destroy the insulation of the bag.

fivemillionsteps
04-27-2017, 00:13
I have checked the new model Cat's Meow with synthetic filler, and the weight is listed as 2 pounds 6 ounces. My Cat's Meow synthetic is over 20 years old, and I found that it's 3 pounds 12 ounces. I just tried stuffing it into the bottom of the pack and there's not much room for anything else in there :-\ The original stuff sack disappeared years ago, but I would imagine that it was larger than yours, that is if yours is one of the newer bags.

I've heard that compression sacks aren't bad for short term use (decompressed nightly), but imagine that never compressing it would be better for the bag.

Thanks

MuddyWaters
04-27-2017, 05:51
I have checked the new model Cat's Meow with synthetic filler, and the weight is listed as 2 pounds 6 ounces. My Cat's Meow synthetic is over 20 years old, and I found that it's 3 pounds 12 ounces. I just tried stuffing it into the bottom of the pack and there's not much room for anything else in there :-\ The original stuff sack disappeared years ago, but I would imagine that it was larger than yours, that is if yours is one of the newer bags.

I've heard that compression sacks aren't bad for short term use (decompressed nightly), but imagine that never compressing it would be better for the bag.

Thanks

Every time you stuff a synthetic, you lose loft.
Every time.
You put crinkles in the synthetic fibers
As little as 50 nights of stuffing significantly degrades a synthetic bag
They have short lifespans

A synthetic shouldnt be over compressed

A compression sack is .......always......bad for a bag. Doesnt matter if down or synthetic. Doesnt matter if only once, for 5 min or 5 weeks. Its always bad because it causes severe crimps in fibers, that reduce loft.

CalebJ
04-27-2017, 08:38
Every time you stuff a synthetic, you lose loft.
Every time.
You put crinkles in the synthetic fibers
As little as 50 nights of stuffing significantly degrades a synthetic bag
They have short lifespans

A synthetic shouldnt be over compressed

A compression sack is .......always......bad for a bag. Doesnt matter if down or synthetic. Doesnt matter if only once, for 5 min or 5 weeks. Its always bad because it causes severe crimps in fibers, that reduce loft.

Couldn't have said it better myself. A compression sack creates -far- more problems than it solves. If pushing the bag down into the bottom of the pack by hand doesn't leave enough space for your gear, I'd seriously consider scrimping and saving to acquire a better bag. If you can swing it, a good down bag will last you a lifetime.

dharmabum2
04-27-2017, 12:51
Hey One Millionsteps I recently purchased the Osprey Exos 48 and coincidentally did some trial packing last night during commercial breaks of the Celtics Bulls game. I am lucky to own a Western Mountaineering terralite bag which is only 29 oz and fits in the bottom of the Exos Chamber just right. On top of that I packed my copper creek UL1 tent and then a Neo Air Mat. There was tons of room remaining for food, clothing etc. The Exos feels luxurious to my Gregory Z40 pack. Seems to me that the issue for you is the bulkiness of the older synthetic bags - I think the Kelty Cosmic is decent ( I purchased it for my wife - I get the Western Mountaineering) choice and should work very well with the Exos.

The Snowman
04-27-2017, 17:50
Put the sleeping bag on the outside of your pack

lumberjaime
04-27-2017, 20:43
I have the same pack. Sleeping bag is a Nemo Salsa, 650 fill down rated to 15*. I've been packing it at the bottom of the pack, no stuff/compression sack. Even with more volume than a standard mummy bag, I haven't had any trouble fitting all of my gear to start a PCT SOBO this season, which will require a LOT of food for the first stretch. Still have room for everything in the pack even without the brain.

With some smart packing, and probably a good deal of trial and error, you shouldn't have any problem fitting everything you need. Even without spending a fortune on all of the smallest and lightest items. Good luck!

NJdreamer
04-27-2017, 22:07
I use the Exos 48 too, and without the brain for short trips. My 2 pound sleeping bag and a liner, plus dry clothes go in a compactor bag at the bottom, takes up about 1/2 or more of the bag, then my UL Nemo Hornet 1P tent, Big Agnes inflatable pad, food, water, etc. This works for me. I have been doing this for 2-3 night trips. For longer, I typically take the brain too. I have more fun since I reduced the weight I carry to 23 or less pounds. Good luck. (I do not use a compression bag for the sleeping bag. Gave that up several months ago. For me, it is an unnecessary packing and unpacking step.)

fivemillionsteps
04-27-2017, 22:11
Thanks for the encouragement and ideas. One of our good sports stores, Bill Jacksons, said to come over to see what sleeping bags they have, and I could bring in my backpack and see how they fit.

saltysack
04-27-2017, 22:23
Thanks for the encouragement and ideas. One of our good sports stores, Bill Jacksons, said to come over to see what sleeping bags they have, and I could bring in my backpack and see how they fit.

Fl stores don't sell what u need...I know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtDoraDave
04-28-2017, 07:04
I've found the people at Bill Jackson's to be helpful and patient... that's the place I tried on 6 pair of hiking boots looking to find the best fit. They even filled up a backpack with stuff so I could walk around the store with some weight on my back while trying on the boots. Most recently, I carried my old (full) backpack in the store to make sure everything fit in the new pack I was buying.
...then again, it was in that store that some wiseguy suggested a good "first hike" on the AT for a week would be the section between the NOC and Clingmans Dome! - and didn't suggest I buy the ATC or AWOL's guide book. But hey, not everyone working in a store has all the information one can learn here on whiteblaze.

tflaris
04-28-2017, 07:58
Don't use a compression sack. Just stuff the bag into the bottom of your pack. A stuff sack will leave gaps that simply stuffing your bag will fill in. Definitely look at Down for best insulation and compressibility. The Cosmic Down gets good reviews. Take a look at some top quilts as well.

Ditto.

Just use a trash compactor bag as a liner.

saltysack
04-28-2017, 08:11
I've found the people at Bill Jackson's to be helpful and patient... that's the place I tried on 6 pair of hiking boots looking to find the best fit. They even filled up a backpack with stuff so I could walk around the store with some weight on my back while trying on the boots. Most recently, I carried my old (full) backpack in the store to make sure everything fit in the new pack I was buying.
...then again, it was in that store that some wiseguy suggested a good "first hike" on the AT for a week would be the section between the NOC and Clingmans Dome! - and didn't suggest I buy the ATC or AWOL's guide book. But hey, not everyone working in a store has all the information one can learn here on whiteblaze.

Agree BJ is a great store as a few others in Fl....such as Black Creek Outfitters here in NFL......should have been more specific in saying if you want light weight gear most Fl outfitters aren't the place to go. You will find your main brands but very limited when it comes to light weight selections....more for your money @ cottage mfg....such as EE...with this said BCO is now carrying Hyper light Mountain gear packs.....if you want your typical REI selection most local outfitters would be sufficient.

tflaris
04-28-2017, 08:42
I switched to a HMG 2400 & 3400 and use their large nano pods for my quilts and a small for my clothes. Allows items to completely fill bag because the are the same shape as the backpack itself.

Really enables me to use a smaller backpack and still satisfy my OCD ADHD issues.

kestral
04-28-2017, 12:13
Florida can be tricky for cold weather gear. One store I really like to put "hands on " before I buy is travel country in Altomonte springs. This is just north of Orlando. People are helpful and not just trying to make a sale. A few long distance hikers employed there. Decent selection. Goods sales at times. They have a web presence, so you can see what you might want to try out before you go.

http://www.travelcountry.com/

My son went to UCF so I enjoyed many visits there. :)

Venchka
04-28-2017, 14:34
Fl stores don't sell what u need...I know

Amen! It was 38 F on my deck yesterday morning. In Texas. How many folks in Florida ever experience 38 F? Or sleep in that temperature?
Y'all are at a serious disadvantage.
Wayne

saltysack
04-28-2017, 14:45
Florida can be tricky for cold weather gear. One store I really like to put "hands on " before I buy is travel country in Altomonte springs. This is just north of Orlando. People are helpful and not just trying to make a sale. A few long distance hikers employed there. Decent selection. Goods sales at times. They have a web presence, so you can see what you might want to try out before you go.

http://www.travelcountry.com/

My son went to UCF so I enjoyed many visits there. :)

+1

saltysack
04-28-2017, 14:51
Amen! It was 38 F on my deck yesterday morning. In Texas. How many folks in Florida ever experience 38 F? Or sleep in that temperature?
Y'all are at a serious disadvantage.
Wayne

**** I'm not sure if we reached freezing once in coastal Ne Fl this winter....many local outfitters have knowledgeable staff just don't have the market to carry much ul gear especially the big 3 items....

Venchka
04-28-2017, 15:01
Way back when I had the same problem in New Orleans. Fortunately REI, Trailwise, LL Bean and others sent out catalogs.
Wayne

MoeTCrow
04-29-2017, 01:12
You may want to take a look at hammock gear's Econ quilts.

Whack-a-mole
04-30-2017, 22:54
Do yourself a favor, buy a the best Western Mountaineering bag that you can afford. One that specifically fits your needs. Many of them come in four different lengths, some models are "bigger" for us XL guys, (thank you!), and they come in a variety of lofts of fit your temp needs. I promise that you won't be sorry. I know they are pricey, trust me, I know, but you won't be sorry. If you take care of it, it will last a long time. Save up! Did I mention that you won't be sorry?

daddytwosticks
05-01-2017, 07:09
I own both an Exos 48 and an Exos 58. Yes, I love these models! I choose the size pack based on trip duration, conditions, etc. I use a Western Mountaineering regular length Megalite for cooler weather trips. Yes, it's very expensive. But like other posters have noted, this bag is well worth the hefty price. :)

Runner2017
05-04-2017, 23:24
IMO Feather Friends has better down bags because Western Mountaineering uses velcro for neck closure, which sucks. On the other hand, down quilts are way to go. Not only they are lighter in weight and smaller in size, but also they are less expensive. Check out Enlightened Equipment's Revelation http://enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk