PDA

View Full Version : Sobo - foolish to try for Abol Bridge Campground on day 1?

lweidner82
04-27-2017, 21:01
Hi there white blaze folks!

I’m preparing to summit Katahdin on either July 23rd or 24th and go SOBO from there. I know that the general consensus is that it is unwise to try and do any more than the KSC – Katahdin - KSC loop on day 1, due to the fact the next available stopping point is Abol Bridge, making for a 20 mile day right off the bat.

While I know most on this board will probably advise against it, my questions are 1) Do you think it's possible? 2) Is the summit hike really that difficult, even with just the rental Day packs?

I’ll be starting in excellent physical shape, as I'm a distance runner and regularly do consecutive 20+ mile days in New York with a much heavier base weight than I'll have for the AT. I’m hoping to average 20+ daily, so I just hate the idea of starting off with just 5.2 trail miles hiked on Day 1.

But I realize that Maine in general and in particular Katahdin will be tougher than what I'm used to, so I'm not above swallowing my pride and spending the night in KSC and making up those miles later. I may even reserve a KSC campground and make a decision day-of, depending on how long the summit hike takes (I realize that this would mean potentially paying for a campsite I won't use)

I’d love to hear any and all advice / brutal honesty. I promise that I'm not looking at the AT through rose-tinted glasses. I know that averaging 20+ is much easier said than done.

Thanks in advance!

-LW

lweidner82
04-27-2017, 21:04
Also, I'm correct in understanding that even discrete hammock camping is a huge no-no and not worth the risk / damage to the reputation of other AT hikers? I won't be "that guy" but that would of course be the easiest option.

Malto
04-27-2017, 21:25
There are many that could do it and nobody that could answer the question whether you could better than you. But generally, my theory "if you have to ask then you probably already know the answer." Have a great hike.

rickb
04-27-2017, 21:42
To be brutally honest, I think a SOBO set on summiting on one of two dates July who has not already secured reservations for one or two nights at KSCC is an idiot.

illabelle
04-27-2017, 22:17
I'm not a distance runner. I'm not in excellent physical shape. I've done 20 miles in a day exactly once. I'm slow and I'm more than twice your age. But I have climbed Katahdin, so maybe I can help you decide.

When we did Katahdin last year, we arrived in the evening, spent the night at KSC, climbed the mountain, spent a second night, then left the next morning. I think this is similar to how most SOBO hikers start out.

First off, the area is beautiful. Even though you're eager to get going, you might want to save some of that eagerness for the less inspiring parts of the trail. Unless you're trying to set a record, plan on enjoying the trek.

Second, the terrain. For me, the climb wasn't as difficult as I imagined it would be. But the descent was steep and went on forever. My knees were so sore! My feet hurt! By the time we hobbled back to our lean-to, it was getting pretty late. I was so glad to be able to eat and lay down. Yeah, I know you're tougher than me. My point is just that the 10.4 up and down is still a good workout, and doesn't feel like a half-day hike. It's a pretty serious mountain.

Oh, and :welcome to the WB community. If you stick around, you'll learn a lot.

Just Bill
04-27-2017, 22:39
It's not impossible at all... not the worst tactic either. Odds are decent you could.

And the rest of your hike you'll pass NOBO hikers who dreamed of BiG K.
And you'll meet folks who would love to visit Baxter at all.

And you'll be tagging up at the most famous trail sign in the world then running out of the park.
And ideally you'll reach the plaque at Springer...

And after the high of the finish wears off..you'll look around at that humble little summit and think back to the start of your hike.

And I'd guess you'll wish you spent a little more time at that brown board soaking it in, on Katadin itself.
And maybe on an a trip on the knives edge followed by a decent stroll through Baxter...

And enjoying the beginning of a trip that ended way to soon.

MuddyWaters
04-27-2017, 23:02
Few do it that way and can really comment
But a reasonably experienced hiker that knows their limits, would know. If you bust out 25 mile days with 5000' vert occassionally, then there you have it. If weather is good, worst that happens is a little darkness falls on you.

Again, whats the rush?

egilbe
04-28-2017, 04:40
Spend the day in the park resting, take your time walking out of the park the next day. It's a beautiful walk. Don't rush it.

peakbagger
04-28-2017, 05:14
If you hang out in the ADKs every weekend and click off great range traverses on a routine basis or head to the whites and do a single day presi traverse sure you can do it. Unfortunately, you haven't established any sort of sort of level of competency in your first post and your second post supports that you probably are much more likely to be a clueless wannabe . Even though you hike a day pack up and down the mountain, you are hauling maximum pack weight of 7 or 8 days of food the final 8 miles. The park keeps a close eye on the AT in and out of the park and its highly likely that you will be busted for stealth camping. Even if you pull it off, unless you are great condition odds are you will end up with zero or near zero the next day to recover. Just as likely you will be hitching back to Millinocket to catch the next bus south.

egilbe
04-28-2017, 05:27
Plan on averaging 10 to 15 miles a day for a few weeks headed South. That should set some realistic expectations. Your first day is the largest single elevation gain on the entire AT in arguably the prettiest state to hike in.

As peakbagger said, you will probably be in Millinocket on day 3 looking for a ride home. Running flat ground translates poorly to rock scrambling.

rickb
04-28-2017, 06:07
It's not impossible at all... not the worst tactic either. Odds are decent you could.
BIll is good to have answered have answered your two questions directly, the first being is your plan possible (of course it's possible) and the second being is the climb itself that difficult.

The second part obviously depends on the person, but the fact that you may we'll see everyone from 10 year old kids to retirees up top doing just fine suggests it's not so bad. MY first hike up was as a heavy smoker with 11 days food in my pack, and my last was 30 years later with 50 pounds extra fat around my middle. While it was hard each time, I managed just fine hiking next day. I am guessing you will find the hike up hard, but not that difficult.

But that misses the point entirely.

Hiking long tough days can be great-- it's having to that sucks. Since you cannot camp along side the trail in Baxter (seriously, remove that plan B from your thinking altogether) your options will be limited if you don't have a reservation at KSCG when you return from the summit.

It would be dumb to put yourself in a position where you have to hike an additional 10 miles whether you wish to or not.

If you have boundless energy and feel stuck at KSCG, you could walk over to the Birches and soak in some of the NOBOs vibe just before they finish thier Thru hikes. You could write letters to loved ones from a very unique perspective. Or pour your heart out in a journal.

Of course if if you don't make reservations at KSCG now, you won't have that option.

Starchild
04-28-2017, 07:02
You can submit, return then decide. Actually it make be wake up and decide, if you get up really early as opposed to sleep late. It's not like Baxter Rangers will force you to stay at the spot you reserved (my peeve about the reservation system for hiking - people don't always use them and causes people not to be able to go, both here and in the Smokies and why a better system is needed). The walk from Abol to KSC is fairly easy and flat but that was after going over 2000 miles to get there, I don't know how it would be on day 1 after Katahdin. It might be a bit of a death march, which are not fun and usually require recovery, and Abol, even with the store which is likely to be closed till the morning, doesn't have much.

Perhaps you can start at the other end of Katahdin, and go over the knife edge and down the AT like a true SoBo should ;). It would give you the feeling of progress, though you will be missing the slack pack - however perhaps a full pack would be more satisfying. You would/should arrive at Abol with time to grab something at the store and push on a few more hours putting a dent into the 100MW (which is again 'easy' for the first half for you, TBW the 100 MW is a mini Maine, hard on the S end easy on the N end). I have personally found the 2nd day of a multi day hike to be the hardest, the time where the body is still feeling the sore/stiffness and the numbness has not set in. For this reason having an easier walk from KSC>100MW is a great cooldown day.

Heliotrope
04-28-2017, 07:22
Make the reservation for KSC. IMO the 10.4 miles of Katahdin feels like a 20 mile day from KSC south. The views are amazing on Katahdin as stated above. But the remaining 10 miles in Baxter are really gorgeous too. It's worth stopping at Niagara Falls and just soaking it all in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moldy
04-28-2017, 08:58
You won't be able to do it. I would hike the mountain then come down via the abol trail, then stick out your thumb and get a hitch just past the tote road gate out of sight of the gate guard, then go well off into the woods and camp. This should take you 15 minutes. The next morning you can hitch back and hike South out of the park.

egilbe
04-28-2017, 09:52
You won't be able to do it. I would hike the mountain then come down via the abol trail, then stick out your thumb and get a hitch just past the tote road gate out of sight of the gate guard, then go well off into the woods and camp. This should take you 15 minutes. The next morning you can hitch back and hike South out of the park.

A sobo needs to come down the hunt trail.

Water Rat
04-28-2017, 10:02
I have climbed Katahdin and hiked out of the park the same day. It CAN absolutely be done. It made for a long day.

With that, I personally would not choose to start a long distance hike that way. To put it in running terms - why start a marathon by sprinting? I understand being eager to get your hike underway, but you improve your odds of finishing a thru-hike if you don't beat yourself up at the beginning. Ya gotta look at the big picture and not just focus on "I can hike more than 10 miles on day 1."

peakbagger
04-28-2017, 14:22
A sobo needs to come down the hunt trail.

Not necessarily as long as they cover the actual AT going up or down there is no rule that says they have to hike every inch of the trail southbound. In Gorham many a Northbound thru hiker does the Shelburne to Pinkham slackpack North to South and I expect many a Sobo hiker goes south to north.

Actually ending up coming down Abol trail has something to be said for it as Abol is a far less popular site with a better chance of getting a campsite. Its usually an easy hitch from Abol to KSC if you time the day hiker rush who all are going to be heading that way in the AM.

Miner
04-28-2017, 15:54
Whether or not you can do it is less dependent on the miles involved but rather the total amount of climbing and descending on very steep trail. If one has done plenty of training that involved significant climbing, then it should be fine.

I will say this about my experience going SOBO though this is coming from someone who was over 40. Coming from out west where trails are normally less steep with switchbacks, the steep descent from the peak killed my knees and had me ready to quit a few hours earlier than I normally would have stopped for the day. This was despite doing plenty of climbing out west prior to starting. Though having been convinced to leave my poles down below since they would be allegedly useless in the middle part didn't help. My mileage to southern NH was shockingly lower per day then any hike I've done previously including the PCT.

chiefduffy
04-28-2017, 16:37
............Yes.

TJ aka Teej
04-28-2017, 16:47
July's very busy. Katahdin Stream is just about sold out for your dates.
Make your rez first thing tomorrow morning.

The Sobo’s guide to Baxter and Katahdin for 2017 (https://baxterinfo.wordpress.com/2017/01/09/the-sobos-guide-to-baxter-and-katahdin-for-2017/)

TJ aka Teej
04-28-2017, 16:50
To be brutally honest, I think a SOBO set on summiting on one of two dates July who has not already secured reservations for one or two nights at KSCC is an idiot.
Or just woefully uninformed.
And why Abol Bridge Campground? Stay at Abol Pines instead.

TJ aka Teej
04-28-2017, 16:55
Also, I'm correct in understanding that even discrete hammock camping is a huge no-no and not worth the risk / damage to the reputation of other AT hikers?

You are correct, stealth camping in Baxter will negatively impact the already fragile relationship between Thrus and Baxter.

lweidner82
04-28-2017, 17:28
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all of these comments. I've decided to go ahead and book a lean-to at KSCG for the night after Katahdin; I'll get a shuttle in the early morning that day so I won't need one for the night before.

I've also decided to aim for a probably more realistic average of ~15 miles until I get through the Whites, and then I'll try to pick up the pace from there. I only have a little over 120 days to work with, which is why I felt pressure to start off with a bang. That being said, burning out in Maine would cut my hike much shorter than running out of time down south would.

I only just found out that I would be able to make an attempt at a Thru-hike this year work-wise, which is why I'm behind on planning. There's a lot I don't know, which is why I'm so thankful for a helpful community of people like this to help talk me out of my bad ideas :)

-LW

Just Bill
04-28-2017, 19:08
Enjoy your hike :welcome

Lone Wolf
04-28-2017, 19:31

I’m preparing to summit Katahdin on either July 23rd or 24th and go SOBO from there. I know that the general consensus is that it is unwise to try and do any more than the KSC – Katahdin - KSC loop on day 1, due to the fact the next available stopping point is Abol Bridge, making for a 20 mile day right off the bat.

While I know most on this board will probably advise against it, my questions are 1) Do you think it's possible? 2) Is the summit hike really that difficult, even with just the rental Day packs?

I’ll be starting in excellent physical shape, as I'm a distance runner and regularly do consecutive 20+ mile days in New York with a much heavier base weight than I'll have for the AT. I’m hoping to average 20+ daily, so I just hate the idea of starting off with just 5.2 trail miles hiked on Day 1.

But I realize that Maine in general and in particular Katahdin will be tougher than what I'm used to, so I'm not above swallowing my pride and spending the night in KSC and making up those miles later. I may even reserve a KSC campground and make a decision day-of, depending on how long the summit hike takes (I realize that this would mean potentially paying for a campsite I won't use)

I’d love to hear any and all advice / brutal honesty. I promise that I'm not looking at the AT through rose-tinted glasses. I know that averaging 20+ is much easier said than done.

Thanks in advance!

-LW

you're 23. go for it. the climb ain't all that bad. have fun :sun

BillyGr
04-28-2017, 20:35
You can submit, return then decide. Actually it make be wake up and decide, if you get up really early as opposed to sleep late. It's not like Baxter Rangers will force you to stay at the spot you reserved (my peeve about the reservation system for hiking - people don't always use them and causes people not to be able to go, both here and in the Smokies and why a better system is needed).

If one did that (made a reservation to be sure, then decided not to stay that night after hiking up & back down), wouldn't it make sense to let the ranger there know? Not that you would get a refund for the unused site, but don't they allow people (even, say Northbound Thru Hikers if their specific site is filled) coming in to take a regular campsite if it's not already in use? Thus, if they knew you weren't going to use it they could (possibly, anyhow) allow someone else to take that spot, which would help with the issue mentioned about spots going unused.

peakbagger
04-28-2017, 20:54
Contrary to a prior post the park does try to fill empty unused camping slots. The problem is that if someone decides late in the day to head out of the park, its generally too late to fill them by changing the allowable quota at the turnstile at the park boundary. Anyone leaving the park by car drops off a slip at the gate and the staff does try to figure out empty slots as early as possible. One of issues raised by park staff with thru hikers is they don't have a vehicle thus the expectation is that if a spare slot exists elsewhere the rangers have to run a shuttle service to move folks around and inevitably are expected to supply this service in the AM or risk folks hitching on the park roads. I frequently book an "insurance day" at the end of trip up there in case of washout and if I leave early I let the rangers know. There isn't any incentive for me to leave early as the park has a no refund policy. I currently have a group site booked at the park labor day weekend and expect that at least a portion of it will be mostly empty the last night. Its on the other side of the mountain so not much use to a typical thru hiker.

rafe
04-29-2017, 09:06
It's a long day, but certainly doable if you're fit and nothing goes wrong. Bear in mind, the climb up Katahdin is the largest single vertical on the AT. Most hikers take a day pack, no point hauling the whole kit. If you use trekking poles make sure they're foldable/collapsible -- there are sections on Hunt Trail where you'll need both hands.

From Katahdin Stream Campground to Abol Bridge is another ten miles, but most of that is very flat.

My only question would be, why the rush?

Bansko
05-02-2017, 19:52
It can certainly be done, and the flat 9 miles from KSC to Abol Bridge is like sleepwalking after going up and down Katahdin. If you're in great shape, as you indicated, it should be easy. I see that you've decided not to, but I would advise anyone else considering doing it all in a day to make sure to start early, and to not overestimate your fitness level. I as a NOBO and hiked from Abol to Katahdin and then up and down in one day. It wasn't even close to being my toughest day on the trail, mainly because I only carried a light pack up and down Katahdin, as most do. Slackpacking speeds things up considerably.

TJ aka Teej
05-03-2017, 17:11
as a NOBO and hiked from Abol to Katahdin and then up and down in one day. It wasn't even close to being my toughest day on the trail,
Yes, nobos just about fly up and down. Southbounders don't have 2000 miles and months of hiking behind them.
The advice that sobos book at least one night at Katahdin Stream is solid.

lweidner82
05-08-2017, 08:19
I have a lean-to reserved for Saturday, July 22nd. I'll have a ride in first thing that morning to drop off my pack at the ranger station and then drop me at Abol Campground; I'll do the Abol Slide up / Hunt back down. Without rushing, I'll see what time I get to KSCG and how I feel, and may press on if I'm really feeling great, but will likely stay the night in Baxter.

TJ aka Teej
05-08-2017, 20:28
I have a lean-to reserved for Saturday, July 22nd. I'll have a ride in first thing that morning to drop off my pack at the ranger station and then drop me at Abol Campground; I'll do the Abol Slide up / Hunt back down. Without rushing, I'll see what time I get to KSCG and how I feel, and may press on if I'm really feeling great, but will likely stay the night in Baxter.
Your rez is at KSC the 22nd?

lweidner82
05-10-2017, 17:04
Your rez is at KSC the 22nd?

Correct!

AngryGerman
05-24-2017, 10:25
I am sure you could've made it to Abol Bridge on day one but that means day two you'd be laid up at Abol Bridge longer than expected or you'd stay the whole day because you were extra tired or even a bit more sore than expected. Traversing Big K is not that difficult and can be done in five hours; more or less depending on the individual and on what trail you take up and come back down. The walk out to Abol Bridge is not difficult either. Nor is the 100 mile or the whole darn thu-hike! But the thing I noticed about Baxter and Maine in general was the sheer beauty, history and serenity found there. The call of the loons, sights of moose, wilderness lakes that are so chilly and refreshing are all something that must be experienced and time taken to experience. When it was all said and done and I look back at that SOBO thru-hike I realize that Maine is IMO the best part of the thru-hike and the next SOBO thru I complete I will be sure to loaf in Maine much more!
Good luck OP and enjoy it. I've yet to hear from fellow thru-hikers that they hated it and wished they'd never hiked the AT!

LoneStranger
05-24-2017, 11:07
I am sure you could've made it to Abol Bridge on day one but that means day two you'd be laid up at Abol Bridge longer than expected or you'd stay the whole day because you were extra tired or even a bit more sore than expected. Traversing Big K is not that difficult and can be done in five hours; more or less depending on the individual and on what trail you take up and come back down. The walk out to Abol Bridge is not difficult either. Nor is the 100 mile or the whole darn thu-hike! But the thing I noticed about Baxter and Maine in general was the sheer beauty, history and serenity found there. The call of the loons, sights of moose, wilderness lakes that are so chilly and refreshing are all something that must be experienced and time taken to experience. When it was all said and done and I look back at that SOBO thru-hike I realize that Maine is IMO the best part of the thru-hike and the next SOBO thru I complete I will be sure to loaf in Maine much more!
Good luck OP and enjoy it. I've yet to hear from fellow thru-hikers that they hated it and wished they'd never hiked the AT!

Well said there AG! Heading north through the SOBO bubble last year I noticed the difference between the folks who were serious and worried about miles and the folks who were just soaking in the experience of being in the Maine woods. The biggest difference was the smiles! I found the happiness so contagious I planned another section for the same time this year so I could see more of those smiles :)

peakbagger
05-24-2017, 11:07
Must be good Mark Zuckerberg just hiked there ;) http://www.pressherald.com/2017/05/21/facebook-ceo-mark-zuckerberg-visits-millinocket/. Given the timeof the year I am surprised the black flies didnt chase him out of the park.

Slo-go'en
05-24-2017, 12:01
Must be good Mark Zuckerberg just hiked there ;) http://www.pressherald.com/2017/05/21/facebook-ceo-mark-zuckerberg-visits-millinocket/. Given the timeof the year I am surprised the black flies didnt chase him out of the park.

I'm surprised he made it through the HMW without drowning!

egilbe
05-24-2017, 17:50
He hiked the AT "around Katahdin" which Im assuming is Daicey Pond.

cockblock moses
12-09-2017, 14:37
Do whatever you want within the guidelines of rules around Katahdin. But one thing I’ve seen are injuries within the first two weeks that end so many hikers hikes. Most of these injuries are preventable too, people just push themselves too hard.

1azarus
12-09-2017, 16:23
doesn't look like anyone answered your easy question: hammock the AT ok?

absolutely! some logistical issues in the White mountains and in the Smokies, but you can work through them. otherwise, no issues at all as long as you hang from trees and not ceiling beams in shelters. and there are plenty of Whiteblaze discussions about the particulars of those two more regulated areas and hammocking.

I do agree with the advice, by the way, to take your time on the first day just to savor the experience...

good luck and good hanging!

TJ aka Teej
12-09-2017, 16:56
doesn't look like anyone answered your easy question: hammock the AT ok?
absolutely!

The question was about stealth camping inside Baxter, wasn't it?

Highland Goat
12-11-2017, 12:53
In 2012 I spent a night in Millinocket, reached the top of Katahdin before noon and stayed the night at Katahdin Stream Campground. I could have moved on, but elected not to, to reduce the risk of injury. In the month prior, every other day was spent on rough New England trails.

Lone Wolf
12-11-2017, 15:52

Thanks in advance!

-LW

it's doable. go for it!

rickb
12-11-2017, 17:13
it's doable. go for it!
Sure. With a time machine.

Emerson Bigills
12-11-2017, 19:40
If you start up Katahdin early you can probably do it. I left KSC around 5:30 and was at the summit by 9, and back down by 12:15. I am not fast. The ten miles from KSC to Abol Bridge is about as easy as any 10 mile section on the trail. Most folks would have no issue doing it in 4 hours or less. It would make for a pretty long day, maybe not the smartest thing to do on your first day. I would also not want to rush my experience on Katahdin. It is the best hike of the entire trail. If you are going to bust your butt on the first day, you better be careful that you don't take that attitude with you on the first 3 weeks. I saw many athletic/in shape hikers injure themselves early in the thru hike because they hiked high mileage. Just because you can do it, doesn't mean your body is ready for it.

rickb
12-11-2017, 23:13
The OP was heading up K and out of the park (or not) last July.

fiddlehead
12-12-2017, 09:49
We did it in 2001. In October.
Got dropped off at the trailhead not far from Chimney pond and went in there early morning and up.
I think we summited by 9:30 AM or something like that.
We were in Abol by 5 PM.
but, we were in great shape (ultra running shape) and had a Mainer drop us off.
In other words, we knew how to do it, and it went off without a problem.
But it's not for everyone.
And we (all 3 of us) had done Katahdin before so knew what to expect.