PDA

View Full Version : Thru-Hike Workshop in Columbus, OH

RedneckRye
01-27-2006, 16:22
THURSDAY FEB 9TH, 7PM @ THE OUTDOOR SOURCE

Hey all... I'm putting together a Thru-hike info session at the shop where I work here in Columbus. THURSDAY FEB 9TH, 7PM. Pretty much an info exchange, folks headed out asking questions of thru-hikers from the last few years. Last year we had about 18 folks show, 8 former thrus, 8-10 future thrus. We'll probably run till around 9, maybe grab some food and a beer after if anyone is interested.

The Outdoor Source 3121 Kingsdale Center Columbus OH 43221 (in Upper Arlington) 614-457-3620. MapQuest, etc does not know where Kingsdale Center is, so call or PM me if you need directions or have any questions.

Jack Tarlin
01-27-2006, 16:32
Anyone who's thinking of thru-hiking who lives near Columbus should try and attend this.

Redneck is VERY knowledgable about the Trail, and after working in Outdoor retail for years, he probably knows as much about gear as anyone on this website.

I think this is a great opportunity for folks who live in his area.

RedneckRye
01-27-2006, 17:22
Thanks Jack, you've made me feel all warm and fuzzy.

I am sure we will discuss gear. After all, we're hikers and that is what hikers do, but hopefully we won't spend an hour talking about water treatment, or this pack vs that pack. It's not your gear that gets you to Katahdin (or Springer).
I hope we spend most of the evening discussing the experience, the emotions, the community, the freedom. The stuff that keeps you going during the 5 straight day of rain, when your knees hurt, when you're sick of Mac and Cheese, when it looks like you are going to roll into town too late on saturday afternoon to get your maildrop full of homemade cookies. That being said, it will be an open forum which will head where ever the questions lead.
Last year at the end of the evening, a lady who was going to be handling maildrops for her retired husband commented that she felt alot better about her husband's plans, but she was still confused. Turns out that almost every question got about 6 different, sometimes contradicting, answers.

hammock engineer
01-27-2006, 23:32
I'm going to make the drive up, if I can get the night off of work. I can always use some more help and info.

Can someone bring an alcohol stove? For some reason I still can't get mine to work. Understand the concept, just mine never seem to work right.

FiveWay
01-31-2006, 12:49
Hi Redneck: Three of us will be there on the 9th. I have lots of questions. ie: Putting up a tent in a storm, taking it down, how to pack it away wet. etc, etc. I like your discussion topics how to handle pain, and the trail itselt, my support staff will need to hear this.

RedneckRye
02-01-2006, 00:23
Hey Ohio hikers from '05, '04, '03, '02, etc..

You should definitely come to the info session if you can, the more trail knowledge and conflicting answers and opinions, the better. Feel free to bring photo albums, favorite gear, least favorite gear, the rock you carried from Springer to Katahdin, etc, etc. I've heard from several '06 hikers who will be attending, so the "planners" should be well represented. Can't wait to see everyone.