PDA

View Full Version : "what-iffing" with Google maps

blw2
04-28-2017, 16:15
I was just plugging in some different waypoints along the AT, and found it interesting that you can pull up walking directions that follow the AT
for example google says Amicalola to Neels is 37.5 miles and 14 hours 23 minutes walking

4eyedbuzzard
04-28-2017, 21:42
Google's driving times assume averaging the speed limit minus traffic slowdowns but don't include any rest breaks from what I can figure. I can never get anywhere other than short local trips as fast as they estimate, even driving over the speed limit. It's really hard to average 70 mph without drawing the attention of law enforcement. Good luck on 14 hours to Neels. That's 2.6 something mph average. Maybe Anish, or Karl, or more recently Kathryn could do it. I'll add 48 hours.

Odd Man Out
04-28-2017, 22:22
There's a speed limit on the AT?

gpburdelljr
04-28-2017, 22:56
A hiking speed of 2.6 mph on the trail is quite doable, but not many people hike for 14.5 hrs per day. Here is an old thread on hiking speeds. Lone Wolf reported 3mph with 40 lb pack.

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/19294-Walking-Speed-on-the-Trail

tdoczi
04-29-2017, 10:35
Google's driving times assume averaging the speed limit minus traffic slowdowns but don't include any rest breaks from what I can figure. I can never get anywhere other than short local trips as fast as they estimate, even driving over the speed limit. It's really hard to average 70 mph without drawing the attention of law enforcement. Good luck on 14 hours to Neels. That's 2.6 something mph average. Maybe Anish, or Karl, or more recently Kathryn could do it. I'll add 48 hours.

you need 48 hours rest for every 14 hours of hiking?

even if you drop the speed down to 2mph thats 17 hours of hiking. hell, lets round it off and make it 20. not many people need more than... lets say 12 hours of rest in order to do 20 hours of hiking.

4eyedbuzzard
04-29-2017, 13:35
you need 48 hours rest for every 14 hours of hiking?

even if you drop the speed down to 2mph thats 17 hours of hiking. hell, lets round it off and make it 20. not many people need more than... lets say 12 hours of rest in order to do 20 hours of hiking.Just saying I would plan to take 3 days to hike that 37.5 miles from AFSP to Neels. 12.5 miles per day is probably about average for most thru-hikers at the beginning of their hike.

Tundracamper
04-29-2017, 13:49
Does it always follow the trail now? I recall trying this a few months ago and when the road was quicker, it would tell you to take the road instead of the trail.