PDA

View Full Version : Transportation to Northern Terminus

Grunts
04-29-2017, 21:40
Hi everyone,
I'm planning a SOBO in July. I'd like to leave my car at the Southern Terminus. Is there a good place to do that in North Adams or Williamstown? Also, what is the best way to get from those towns to the Northern Terminus? Are there any buses that go to Troy?

soilman
04-30-2017, 11:48
People have used the Greylock Community Center in the past to park. It is right along the AT. As far as bus service, check out the Green Mountain Transit website. They run a bus from St. Albans to Richford. This information is based on research I did for my 2013 thru hike. I was going to do what you are planning but ended up renting a car. I dropped it off at the Burlington airport and then took a taxi to the Trails End. Then took Amtrak home.

Southerner
04-30-2017, 19:20
Unless something has changed since my end-to-end last year, Soilman is correct that the closest bus route to the northern terminus is Richford (about 10 miles trail-west from the 105 crossing, requiring a back-track from the terminus). The bus only does one complete trip per weekday -- very early in the morning from Richford to St. Albans and in the early evening from St. Albans to Richford. Vermont, though, has a very impressive bus system throughout their small state. A route that would get you there: Peter Pan Bus to Albany, NY; Vermont Translines bus from Albany to Burlington; Local route to St. Albans and then the bus mentioned above to Richford. It would then be a matter of hitching, hiking, or hiring a local for a ride from Richford to the LT. I did the same sort of thing, only opposite direction last year. Have a great time on the LT, and learn this mantra: I love mud, I love roots, and I love straight uphill climbs! :)

Deacon
05-01-2017, 06:15
The bus only does one complete trip per weekday -- very early in the morning from Richford to St. Albans and in the early evening from St. Albans to Richford.

Although the morning run is from Richford to St. Albans, the buses are stored in St. Albans at night. Therefore another alternative is to spend the night in St. Albans, then catch the bus on its way to Richford.

Only thing is, you'll have to call the transit office the day before and let them know your plan so the driver knows to look for you. You'd need to be ready in St. Albans really early, around 4:30 or 5:00am.

bigcranky
05-01-2017, 07:11
We did this the opposite way coming back from the border - hitch to Richford (easy), spent the night at The Crossings, then early bus to St Albans and took the train home.

You can leave your car at the community center, I think they ask for a donation. It's possible to take public transit all the way to St Albans and on to Richford, but I expect with the schedules that would take more than a full day. It's worth calling the transit company, though - they were very helpful to me on the phone. However, given my experiences hitchhiking in Vermont, I'd probably just hitch, with a sign. If you can get to the AT road crossing at VT 105, it's an easy couple of miles on the LT to the border, then turn around and head back south. Should be able to make Shooting Star shelter the first day.

Have you considered taking the Vermonter on Amtrak? You can get it in Washington DC and ride all the way to St Albans, then take the very early morning bus to Richford the next day. At the end of your hike you would hitch/get a shuttle to the nearest town on the Amtrak line -- lots of them in Vermont and Mass. No car to worry about. Plenty of room, and the cafe car sells beer. :) It's a long ride, but it's also a long drive.

soilman
05-01-2017, 09:45
Have you considered taking the Vermonter on Amtrak? You can get it in Washington DC and ride all the way to St Albans, then take the very early morning bus to Richford the next day. At the end of your hike you would hitch/get a shuttle to the nearest town on the Amtrak line -- lots of them in Vermont and Mass. No car to worry about. Plenty of room, and the cafe car sells beer. :) It's a long ride, but it's also a long drive.

I took Berkshire transit bus from Williamstown to Pittsfield where I hopped on Amtrak. Pittsfield is a nice town.

Migrating Bird
05-01-2017, 20:27
I was dropped off in Williamston MA. Then took a bus home from Rutland and drove my car up and left it across the street from the Inn at Long Trail and just continued hiking north. When I was about 5 mi from the northern terminus, I met a guy and we started talking. He asked me how I was getting home? Is anybody meeting me. I told him "that chapter hadn't been written yet". He was amazed that I didnt have a plan. A few days earlier, I had met a local guy who offered me a ride out to "civilization" if I got stuck at Journeys End. I ended up calling him, he put me up at his beautiful house, I did my laundry, he fed me. Next day he gave me a ride all the way back to my car!. Great ending to a great hike. I did compensate him for his kindness. Have a great hike.

Grunts
05-09-2017, 15:28
I tried calling Green Mountain Transit, but they don't pick up as far south as North Adams. Might there be any shuttle buses or taxi services?

StubbleJumper
05-09-2017, 18:58
I tried calling Green Mountain Transit, but they don't pick up as far south as North Adams. Might there be any shuttle buses or taxi services?

Peter Pan Bus goes to Williamstown and North Adams. You can download their schedules at: https://peterpanbus.com/

Grunts
06-28-2017, 00:00
Long shot, but does anyone need to get to the Journey's End this weekend? I found someone willing to shuttle, but it would be cheaper split among more people.

Deadeye
06-28-2017, 10:10
When I retire, I might just start myself a shuttle service! Won't do much more than pay the gas money, but could be fun.

Sorry, not much help this year, we'll see what 2021 brings.