PDA

View Full Version : Whoops.....

Jack Tarlin
01-27-2006, 16:54
Hey folks, I was just checking my regular mailbox, and I'm still not sure how I managed to do it, but I just realized that a few days ago I somehow deleted every E-Mail I'd saved from late November to last week.

I just lost a great deal of information, including addresses and contact info for a lot of folks, including many people I'd planned on getting in touch with or whom I owed letters to.

I've been corresponding privately with many of you for awhile; if there's anyone out there who has written me recently, especially with questions, etc., please note that I HAVE NO WAY OF CONTACTING YOU OR GETTING BACK TO YOU. I've been lax with correspondence for awhile and there are definitely some folks who I need to get in touch with; I no longer have your contact info, nor do I still have your letters or questions, so if you're expecting a letter and you're wondering why I haven't written back, please contact me at the address below:

baltimorejack at hotmail dot com

Jack Tarlin
01-27-2006, 17:02
I should add that in addition to losing addresses of people who'd asked me some questions, several of you have sent me addresses recently of folks I was planning to write to, including several people serving overseas. If you recognize yourself here, please re-send those addresses. Thanx!

Kerosene
01-27-2006, 17:05
Of course all you have to do is restore most of this from your backup DVD, right Jack? ;)

Jack Tarlin
01-27-2006, 17:12
No back-up of this material exists or the above posts would obviously have been unnecessary.

Max Power
01-27-2006, 17:23
If you use Outlook or another e-mail application you should be able to go to your internet/e-mail provider and get this info back. For example, I use Mail for Mac. If I was to delete my e-mails in the Mail application, I could go to gmail.com and still see all of the e-mails I have received.
Maybe you already know this, I just wanted to give this info in case you didn't.
Good luck.

Fiddler
01-27-2006, 17:24
Try to contact a hotmail administrator. Some, but not all, of these services have ways to restore accidentally deleted mail. They have differing time limits and different policies, but it's worth a try.

smokymtnsteve
01-27-2006, 17:28
GW Bush is probably monitoring ur e mail....

that is where it magically went :rolleyes:

Sly
01-27-2006, 17:37
Try Gmail, they keep your mail forever, it's nearly impossible to delete and they're not about to hand it over to the Feds! I'll send you an invite.

Kerosene
01-27-2006, 18:37
No back-up of this material exists or the above posts would obviously have been unnecessary.Sorry, the wound is still too raw to treat in jest.

Everyone else, however, would be wise to treat this as a wake-up call. Backup your hard drive! Those of you who are filling up your 30 GB disks might consider buying an external disk with another 80 GB (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=98) ($85) that you can use to backup all your photos and Outlook messages periodically. Yes, it costs real money, but it's a lot more expensive to lose all of those files.

Gmail is a nice alternative if you can live with a browser interface.

Heater
01-27-2006, 19:52
Sorry, the wound is still too raw to treat in jest.

Everyone else, however, would be wise to treat this as a wake-up call. Backup your hard drive! Those of you who are filling up your 30 GB disks might consider buying an external disk with another 80 GB (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=98) ($85) that you can use to backup all your photos and Outlook messages periodically. Yes, it costs real money, but it's a lot more expensive to lose all of those files.

Gmail is a nice alternative if you can live with a browser interface.

80 GB? Pfhtttt... That is so, ....90's...

Nean
01-28-2006, 04:16
I lost everything awhile back. After writing 3 or 4 times pleading my ignerance, it was restored.:)

wyclif
01-28-2006, 07:20
I would second the Gmail recommendation:

http://www.gmail.com

The real difference between this Google offering and the other free webmail products out there (Hotmail, Yahoo!) is that it gives you 2MB+ of storage.

The difference is that:

The amount of storage they give you means you never have to delete an email if you don't want to.
You can search all your old 'archived' email with a few keywords, Google-style (a name or even a word contained in the email)If you use this exclusively you can get your email from anywhere you have Web access, and you should always be able to find old addresses, long-lost friends, &c. with just a few keystrokes. It's brilliant.

calearn
01-28-2006, 12:10
Google Gmail just does it better.

Less spam, harder to delete, better autosave while composing, faster search, more organized, better spell checking, cleaner interface, auto respond when one is not available because one is on a thru hike, etc., etc.

It also has an auto forwarding feature so if one needs to change their email address in the future, anything sent to gmail can be auto-forwarded to the new email address, a feature the competitors wouldn't dare add :)

PS To sign up, one currently needs a mobile phone or invite from an existing user. Most existing users would be happy to send an invite.

sliderule
01-28-2006, 12:49
After writing 3 or 4 times pleading my ignerance....:)

Sometimes folks are just unwilling to accept reality!!!

Jack Tarlin
01-28-2006, 15:05
Thanks to everyione for their ideas and help.