PDA

View Full Version : Teva

simon
04-30-2017, 10:13
Teva is advertising a "waterproof" shoe using their special T.I.D.E seal. Anyone know if this is something worth testing because as of now I don't know of any shoe that is "waterproof".

Dogwood
04-30-2017, 10:55
Ahh the no such thing as a WP shoe opinion because.....? The hole in the top where the ankle is? Was your opinion taken from a noted fast hiker? I never bought into that. By that logic there's no such thing as a WP tarp set up in many configurations, or WP rain jacket or WP keel on a open top boat.

Teva's membrane is yet another semi permeable WP membrane. What's so special about it? It seems everyone with a WP membrane from shoes to jackets to pants to...has a so called special membrane.

Greenlight
04-30-2017, 13:32
Give me a plain old non-waterproof shoe or boot the dries quickly. I don't feel like paying an extra $50 for something that is guaranteed to fail.
Ahh the no such thing as a WP shoe opinion because.....? The hole in the top where the ankle is? Was your opinion taken from a noted fast hiker? I never bought into that. By that logic there's no such thing as a WP tarp set up in many configurations, or WP rain jacket or WP keel on a open top boat.

Teva's membrane is yet another semi permeable WP membrane. What's so special about it? It seems everyone with a WP membrane from shoes to jackets to pants to...has a so called special membrane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dogwood
04-30-2017, 15:37
Ahh, the implied mistaken assumption that isn't questioned that a WP shoe always takes longer to dry than a non WP shoe. Not true. Various things impact how fast a shoe dries than it absolutely being only about being WP or not. I've repeatedly witnessed a non WP shoe take longer or equal time to dry verse a different WP shoe.

Hmm, $50 more for a WP membrane model verse the same non WP model? I don't know where you shop. :p

Kalaallit
04-30-2017, 22:40
Ahh the no such thing as a WP shoe opinion because.....?
I've noticed with all waterproof shoes I own (golf shoes, North Face hiking shoes, old leather boots) that they are just water resistant. Highly water resistant, yes, but try and dangle your feet in a stream or lake and it won't take too long for water to seep in. Water also leaks in through the laces as well, as the tongue doesn't form a waterproof seal with the rest of the shoe.

Francis Sawyer
05-01-2017, 09:18
But it said "new and improved" on the commercial!

Francis Sawyer
05-01-2017, 09:19
They're all waterproof until they get wet. If you want to stay dry, don't get wet.

Dogwood
05-01-2017, 13:20
I've noticed with all waterproof shoes I own (golf shoes, North Face hiking shoes, old leather boots) that they are just water resistant. Highly water resistant, yes, but try and dangle your feet in a stream or lake and it won't take too long for water to seep in. Water also leaks in through the laces as well, as the tongue doesn't form a waterproof seal with the rest of the shoe.
In WP shoes you are likely referring many(MOST?), having a WP membrane, it is NOT a WP one piece booty insert. I don't care how "great" the WP membrane is if it is constructed in pieces with seams the WPness has the potential to fail at those seams. Even with some booty WP membrane types water infiltration can be had with the way the booty is constructed within the shoe. Some WP shoes are not WP gusseted either(many aren't) so the WPness only extends to height of where the tongue is attached at the start of the laces., quite common in WP golf shoes. In some WP shoes that are gusseted the WPness still does not extend to the gusseted tongue. These are common WP shoe issues. Compounding this is hikers in low cut WP shoes where they really only have 2" or so of WPness while walking in slush or on wet trails stepping into deeper than 2" water, snow, wet grass, must, etc. Then the attitude is oh those WP shoes weren't WP is opined. Now, if you're hiking in the rain or snow that's a different situational test of a shoes WPness and IMHO a greater challenge keeping feet dry solely relying on a WP shoe. We can have the tendency to speak about WP shoes in general terms though.

When buying WP shoes which admittedly is a rare occasion for myself I test out the WPness at home by standing in the bathtub with 2 - 3" of water in it with new shoes fro 15 mins( I actually weight down the shoes) or buying on a wet day, paying for them, and then going outside the store to walk around in the shallow snow or wet grass. WHY wait to see how WP a shoe is until depending upon it on trail?