PDA

View Full Version : Overland Mt Shelter Hang

bayview
04-30-2017, 14:20
In my next months section hike, I plan on using a Hennessy Ultra and carry a larger tarp (ENO pro or a Yukon) but was wondering if the actual Shelter is hammock friendly or is that a no no ? Even if it was user friendly. I know some people say screw you and hang where you want, but I am a respectful hiker wanting to treat you the way I want to be treated. Just wondering.

Old Hiker
04-30-2017, 14:41
My opinion: if you want to be respectful, you DON'T hang or tent inside a shelter. Who knows what time someone will show up?

johnspenn
04-30-2017, 17:06
I agree with Old Hiker. It's just bad form to tent or hammock inside a shelter when there is a possibility of others coming later. At the very least if you have your tent pitched or hammock hung in one and someone shows up, you should take it down no questions asked. Asking places the onus on them, when it is your breach of etiquette and not theirs.

bayview
04-30-2017, 17:34
I mostly agree. I was just thinking that since it was so large a shelter, as a former barn, space would not be as big of an issue since by June most hikers nobo have passed.

johnspenn
04-30-2017, 18:11
I mostly agree. I was just thinking that since it was so large a shelter, as a former barn, space would not be as big of an issue since by June most hikers nobo have passed.

I didn't remember at first but now I know the shelter you're talking about from thru-hiker videos, it does look like a huge place as far as shelters go.

Just use good judgment and be prepared to take your hammock down if necessary, in that case. In most cases I would still stand by my original statement. Enjoy your trip!

SouthMark
04-30-2017, 19:17
I stayed there when there were only three of us. I hung in the loft. It was perfect.

MuddyWaters
04-30-2017, 20:19
Do what you want, everyone else does.

soilman
04-30-2017, 22:07
You are meaning Overmountain shelter. I have stayed there when several people were hanging. There was plenty of space. I was more annoyed by the hiker who came in after dark with his dog and slept next to me. I had to move the dog off of my bag.

devoidapop
04-30-2017, 22:14
There are good hammock spots all around this shelter. There is no reason to hang in the loft or the porch.

scope
05-09-2017, 13:25
Wise of you to be asking the question and not just doing. Spacing-wise, hammocks can often add space for others, as long as you're not having to step on someone to get in and out. But structure-wise, you never know what you're getting into. Be very careful of the horizontal forces you might be putting on parts of the structure. Most of the structure is supporting vertically, so hanging with a great degree of sag shouldn't be an issue. Not sure how things are in that big barn, though.

MuddyWaters
05-09-2017, 14:38

Its not
I seen half dozen tents set up in it at once

Beware the rodents

1azarus
05-09-2017, 14:41
I've hung there as well. completely not an issue. huge space!!!!