PDA

View Full Version : 2011 vs. today

Megapixel
04-30-2017, 16:43
How much has the trail changed from 2011 until 2017, specifically reroutes of the trail and guidebook information? I would expect lots on the guidebook town info, not really sure on reroutes. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

illabelle
04-30-2017, 17:25
We use a 2012 Companion and 2013 AT Guide, and maps 5+ years older than that. I don't recall that we've ever had an issue with following the trail.

For our section hikes, I like to call ahead to hostels and other businesses we think we might be using to confirm their pricing, services, and whether they're still in business. Planning an upcoming trip next month, by making a quick phone call I learned that one place we had hoped to stay at no longer allows camping, but they referred me to another a few tenths of a a mile down the road where camping was not a service listed in the trail guide, but is now allowed. That type of thing has been rare.

Dogwood
04-30-2017, 17:49
less than 3% of all info has changed

soilman
04-30-2017, 22:13
There has been some trail relos on both sides of Pearisburg in the past couple of years, but the trail is easy to follow in these locations.

Sarcasm the elf
04-30-2017, 22:22
I would think the bigger changes are things such as laundry no longer being available in Kent, CT. I'm not
aware of any relocations that would be big enough that you couldn't figure them out on the fly.