PDA

View Full Version : Osprey recalls baby carrier backpacks

rocketsocks
05-01-2017, 05:46
https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/osprey-recalls-child-backpack-carriers

Traveler
05-01-2017, 06:30
"I coulda sworn I put little Dadwalider in the carrier when I got water about 4-miles back...."

BuckeyeBill
05-01-2017, 06:40
Thanks for the info. After reading the reading the recall notice one thing didn't seem right. Osprey is offering a free seat pad insert (Thank you Osprey). But it said use this in addition to the existing safety straps. Now I had two children who produced five grand children. Every seat carrier, back pack, car seat and some more I can't remember all came with a five point restraint system. Nothing short of a nuclear device could get them out of those restraints. I was a police officer at the time and made sure the seat was properly secured in the vehicle and when carrying them in a backpack they were also properly restrained. I stopped people for various violations and took notice when the child was not restrained properly or not at all. The parent's excuse was normally "He/She was getting fussy."
In Canada 5,732 units were sold with 4 reported injuries. Please correct me if I am wrong but that works out to .0006%. This sounds more like improper restraint use than anything else. Oh well I hope those four kids are OK, as well as any other children that were injured.

rocketsocks
05-01-2017, 08:02
Thanks for the info. After reading the reading the recall notice one thing didn't seem right. Osprey is offering a free seat pad insert (Thank you Osprey). But it said use this in addition to the existing safety straps. Now I had two children who produced five grand children. Every seat carrier, back pack, car seat and some more I can't remember all came with a five point restraint system. Nothing short of a nuclear device could get them out of those restraints. I was a police officer at the time and made sure the seat was properly secured in the vehicle and when carrying them in a backpack they were also properly restrained. I stopped people for various violations and took notice when the child was not restrained properly or not at all. The parent's excuse was normally "He/She was getting fussy."
In Canada 5,732 units were sold with 4 reported injuries. Please correct me if I am wrong but that works out to .0006%. This sounds more like improper restraint use than anything else. Oh well I hope those four kids are OK, as well as any other children that were injured.the news report I listen to said one kid cracked his skull and that the issues with the carrier were something to do with leg loops.

when my kids were little (20 years ago) we had an LL bean kid carrier, and that thing was bomb proof, but wow have things changed these carrier today have so many more bells and whistles.

on a different note we had a bicycle kid carrier that seat belted the kid in and had a bar that went across the lap area. One day I feel somthin' hit me in the head from behind, and turn to see my son has the lap bar in his hand he had somehow removed...it was on a hinge that just snapped in place, so he leveraged it off. Thinking that it could have caused a serious accident should it go on the spokes at the worst possible moment ie; on-coming car, I thought the manufacture would like to know this...so I call, "well sir the lap bar is for the riders comfort only" I was told, not a safety feature. It was a quick fix by pinning the hinge permanent...that fell on deaf ears I guess.

CalebJ
05-01-2017, 08:45
I'm struggling to see how a properly adjusted shoulder harness would allow a child to get both legs onto the same side and slip through... Haven't noticed any possibility of that when using our Poco, but I'll still grab the pad to have it just in case.

Moosling
05-01-2017, 09:13
I use https://store.ergobaby.com/baby-carrier and am super happy with it up to a 35lb toddler.

BionicAnkle
06-12-2017, 05:48
In the four years of using our Poco plus there has never been a time that I felt my kids were unsafe with the current system. This time includes over a thousand miles of rocky pa trail so this is most likely due to lawsuits from customers incorrectly using the product.