PDA

View Full Version : 4 days- can we make it?

Lakegirl
05-01-2017, 11:13
I am looking at hiking the section of Tellico Gap to Fantana Dam. I am from Florida and have only done the Georgia section of the AT. I am not familiar with this section, and will only have 4 days to hike. Looks like it is 35 miles on the trail, could this section be done in 4 days by slow hikers?

Gambit McCrae
05-01-2017, 11:21
IMO slow hiking is 1-2 MPH.

35 hours of hiking to complete trip (1 mile per hour)
8.75 hours a day of walking

17.5 hours of hiking to complete trip (2 miles per hour)
4.375 hours a day of walking

Only you can really determine what your capabilities are on the trail but at my capability level if someone said "35 miles in 4 days have at it", I would be asking where the rest of my miles are at for the trip, but I also enjoy putting my pack on in the morning at 7am and walking until about 5-6 pm with little break. That equals (for me) about 30-35 miles every 2 days. some guys put that to shame doing 30-35 miles a day.

Short answer: Yes you can do it, enjoy your trip.

bigcranky
05-01-2017, 11:25
Yes, it's a decent 4 day hike if you have 4 full days. Maybe not if you have to spend most of one or two of those days driving.

Note that there is a long, tough downhill into Nantahala Gorge probably on day 1, and a tough climb out on day 2 up to Cheoah Bald. Take it easy and they are fine.

We are not fast hikers, but we can reliably average 1.5 miles per hour over the entire course of the day, including all our stops and lunch break.

illabelle
05-01-2017, 11:39
I don't recall that section being very different from Georgia. Bunch of biggish mountains, with good hard climbs, occasional views out over the ridges. If you were okay with GA, you'll do alright with NC. :)

scope
05-01-2017, 11:50
Slow is one thing, starting late and camping early is another. One of the reasons I hammock is that I know I can just keep hiking until I have to stop due to diminishing light or leg strength, whichever comes first, LOL. But seriously, extend your day and that section shouldn't be a problem for you.

LittleRock
05-02-2017, 09:00
Yes, I'd shoot for the NOC on day 1 and then prepare for a long haul up to Cheoah Bald on day 2. It's all downhill after that. ;-)

ScareBear
05-02-2017, 09:22
Ummmmm....yeah....scarey bear time....

You have to average over 8 miles per day for 4 straight days. What were your dailies in GA?

The descent into NOC is a long, steep hard downhill of unrelenting proportions, made even more arduous in the rain. Adjust your footwear and hiking poles accordingly.

The climb out of NOC is an unrelenting 7 mile slog to the top of Cheoah. The downhill to Stecoah Gap is a piece of cake. The climb out of Stecoah, not so much. Don't forget about Jacob's Ladder....

The rest of it down into Fontana is a piece of cake...

Remember, rain on Day 1, 2 or even 3 is going to make your mileage accumulation difficult.

Rain Man
05-02-2017, 09:34
That part of NC is harder than GA, but if you have 4 full days of hiking and have already hiked GA (recently, not a decade ago) and plan to hike it during a season with long daylight hours, then you should be able to do it, yes.

MuddyWaters
05-02-2017, 09:45
Yes
No different from what you already done

Except better views

Lakegirl
05-03-2017, 11:49
the NOC is a something I really want to make it to, and Fontana Dam, just worried that I only have 4 days to hike,and
one day on each end to travel back to Florida.

ScareBear
05-03-2017, 12:31
the NOC is a something I really want to make it to, and Fontana Dam, just worried that I only have 4 days to hike,and
one day on each end to travel back to Florida.

May I ask what your daily mile totals were in GA? Also, how long ago did you hike GA?

Lakegirl
05-03-2017, 13:37
great feedback, thanks. That is what I was kinda wondering about.

Lakegirl
05-03-2017, 13:43
Daily miles in GA were 9-13, with VERY late starts. We did this several months ago, but we have also been doing local hiking on weekends. But Florida is Flat.........

earlyriser26
05-03-2017, 15:29
Very doable and this coming from a slow hiker (old and fat). Day one head into NOC (8.1 miles) Make sure you go up Wesser fire tower platform (one best views on the entire trail). This is an easy day, but the downhill can do a number on your toes. Day two head for Sassafras shelter (6.7 miles), all uphill, biblical climb. Day three, go to brown fork gap shelter (9.1 miles), mostly downhill. Day four, hike to Fontana (11.6 miles), but mostly down. Good luck

ScareBear
05-03-2017, 17:50
Daily miles in GA were 9-13, with VERY late starts. We did this several months ago, but we have also been doing local hiking on weekends. But Florida is Flat.........

IMHO, you are good to go! Have fun!