PDA

View Full Version : osprey exoss versus zpack

pickle
05-01-2017, 13:59
need opinions or thoughts on these packs

JC13
05-01-2017, 14:04
need opinions or thoughts on these packsIs pack weight important? If yes, ZPacks. If no, Osprey. Comfort is going to be the clincher though, that will require a test drive of each most likely. And lest we forget, the budget. ZPacks will most likely be more expensive. Just a couple things to consider.

Water Rat
05-01-2017, 14:16
I have the Exos 48 and the ZPacks Arc Haul. I love them both, but they each serve a different purpose for me. The Exos now carries heavier gear and tends to live in storage most of the time these days.

If you have heavier gear, go with the Exos.

It might not be a bad idea to load an Exos (since they are more easily available) with your current gear and see how it feels. If the pack is not comfortable at that weight, then you most likely would be uncomfortable carrying the same gear in a ZPacks pack.

bigcranky
05-01-2017, 14:31
Can you try on the Exos? I so wanted the Exos 58 to be my new winter pack, but the external frame dug into my hips in a most painful way. I know lots of hikers who use and love the Exos tho, so it really is just me -- but worth trying.

I have the Arc Haul and very much like it. It's plenty big enough for my gear, weighs ~26 ounces, is basically waterproof, and carries well.

Puddlefish
05-01-2017, 14:46
I have an Exos 48. For me, the comfort level was dependent on total weight of over/under 30 pounds. I started with way too much water and food. Once I relaxed my water/food paranoia a bit I got down to a total pack weight of 25ish, and it was quite comfortable, waterproof and vented.

At 31 pounds I felt it on my shoulders and hips. At lower weights I barely noticed I was carrying it.

lunatic
05-01-2017, 15:44
I have the original Exos 46, used it on my '09 thru, and last year and this year (back to back thrus, currently at Harpers Ferry)) I'm using the ZPacks arc haul.
I agree with what Water Rat wrote about gear weight. I'm hiking much lighter these days, and with under 30 pounds the Arc Haul rides better than any pack I've ever used. They're both very durable - I'm pretty "fussy" about taking care of my gear and I have over 3000 miles on both packs. Also, they both have solid customer service, but Joe and team at ZPacks are absolutely amazing and can't be beat.

Kalaallit
05-02-2017, 00:11
ZPacks will be lighter, and better for ultralight/lightweight loads.Osprey Exos would be better for heavier loads. The Osprey will be a lot cheaper though, as ZPacks gear tends to cost a lot.

TrappedInsideACube
05-06-2017, 23:31
These packs are two ends of the extreme. If you value weight over all and your budget allows for it, then zpacks definitely beats anything osprey makes. The exos series is a great combination of value, weight and comfort.

VatoGato
05-07-2017, 02:29
I'd say buy the exos 58 from somewhere you can return it if you don't like it. I bought the 58 and tried it on in a store. It felt comfortable for the 30 mins I was in the store loaded with sand bags but when I took it on a day hike fully loaded with 35lbs of gear I found that it dug into my hips as the other guy noted and left my back very sore. If Osprey doesn't work for you try a different pack. YMMV

madgoat
05-08-2017, 07:43
My experience with the exos is similar. It dug into my hips. Admittedly, my hips are wider than they should be. This pack was made for a narrower posterior than mine.

Maineiac64
05-08-2017, 08:00
I have experience with osprey atmos and zpacks arc haul, much prefer the zpacks although a lot more investment once you add in accessories.

Wyoming
05-08-2017, 23:52
I have a Z-pack Arc Blast and a ULA Ohm 2.0

The Z is a bit lighter but not by much and there is a reason for this as the stated weights are about 1/2 lb different.

The Z has a really sucky hip belt and it is ONLY comfortable at really light loads. Since I am long done with the AT where one never needs to load a pack up much and now hike out west where big food and water carries are mandatory - and often at the same time - it is not really possible to always keep a pack under 30 lbs even for an UL hiker. At those weights the Z belt hurts (I even get numb under the belt on the hip bones). So I custom made a better hip belt for the pack (I queried Z to have them make me a belt with the necessary amount of padding and they refused) by using 2 Z hip belts. I cut the pad away from the attaching webbing on one hip belt and sewed it inside the other belt so I have double padding. This was better but not great.

But the hip belt on the ULA Ohm is still better than the custom Z. I also added shoulder mounted Z designed pockets to hold the 700ml Smart water bottles but had to modify them as well as the bottles would not stay in the pockets reliably. I also have pockets on the hip belt to hold energy bars and the smart phone. So this upped the weight. I need the pockets as I don't stop in between the morning start and lunch (or lunch and dinner) unless I have to get more water out of the side pockets once the front ones are empty (I cant get the bottles out of the sides and back in without taking the pack off - and that pisses me off).

The Ohm solves all of these issues with a good belt - pockets built in and water bottle bungie cords on the shoulder straps come standard. Plus the pockets on the belt are a better size. Plus I can get the side water bottles out and back in while walking. One can carry more weight comfortably with the Ohm than the Z. The Ohm is also a lot more durable than the Z. And it also costs less than 50% of a Z pack. The actual difference in weight between the two packs as I have them configured is about 4 ozs.

The downside of the Ohm is that it does not sit off your back like the Z with its real frame. So the Ohm is hotter and not quite as comfortable on your back as the Z.

I am actually contemplating taking a new Z belt and cutting the pad away from the webbing used to attach it to the pack and sewing that webbing on to an Ohm hipbelt and putting that on the Z to see how much that would improve the Z. I think that might make the best of both packs. I would get the Ohm belt and better hip pockets and then toss the Z shoulder pockets and use the bottle holders from the Ohm. Might be almost perfect. Except for not being able to access the side pocket water bottles while walking...hmmm - the side pockets on the Ohm are really nice. What to do?