PDA

View Full Version : Parking Safety Southern PA to northern VA

SkeeterPee
05-01-2017, 21:36
Planning a Trip from US30 Caledonia SP PA to somewhere in Northern VA. Will meet my brother in PA so we will have 2 cars and can move them a couple times so we can resuply from the cars. Also we could slackpack a section if it makes sense. He's 64 and this is his first real trip. He's not sure he can do 9 miles per day to hit every other camping opportunity. so we might try do a combination of slackpacking and backpacking.

Are there any of the lots in this section that have problems for overnight parkers? Some safer than others?

Spirit Walker
05-01-2017, 21:48
Caledonia is safe. So is Pine Grove Furnace if you want to start a bit north of there. It's a nice section between the two parks.

PilotB
05-02-2017, 10:41
The state parks offer AT parking...just register at office

SkeeterPee
05-02-2017, 10:59
To Spirt Walker, yes i agree those 20 miles north of Caledonia are very nice, but i have done them and want to head south from there.

for state parks i am aware of the Caledonia State Park. Also Greenbriar, Washington Monument, and Gathland. Are there others with parking i have missed?

Don H
05-02-2017, 12:49
I would park at Pine Grove before Caledonia. PG has parking in a lot behind the AT Museum, within the park.
Caledonia has parking on busy Rt. 30 although you still register with the park and they do patrol the lot.
I've used both lots many times and have never had a problem with either.

Studlintsean
05-02-2017, 22:14
I park at US55 in Linden VA for a few days at a time often and have never had issues. This is just north of SNP. Good luck and enjoy the hike