PDA

View Full Version : AT section with kid

wcalvert
05-02-2017, 06:59
My seven year old son and I have limited hiking experience but both of us want to go on either a long weekend or weeklong hike on the AT this summer. Number of days and nights is flexible.

I'm looking for advice on what sections may be best for us to start with. Any advice would be welcome.

We went to 52 national parks in the last year but now it's time to dig deeper and explore nature up close and personal on the AT.

Please forgive me if I'm doubling up from another topic. New here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

egilbe
05-02-2017, 07:23
Why the AT? Why not a trail closer to home? Ozark trail, perhaps?

Pastor Bryon
05-02-2017, 07:26
Good on you! I hike with my now teenage daughter and it has been a blast. At seven years old and limited hiking experience, my advice would be to not get hung up on how many miles you hike. If you push it and make it miserable, it may be the last trip you take with him.

As far as sections, sure, I'm partial to Virginia, and you can hit the trail on a straight shot from I-64 here. I think my advice might be things to avoid, like climbing the Priest nearby or doing the Roller Coaster in Northern Va. IMO, you want something a little challenging, but these are two that come to mind that I wouldn't recommend your first hike to be on.

There are many, many great sections. Are you going shelter to shelter? How easily can you make camp for the night if no shelter around? The availability or lack thereof of established campsites should guide your decision as well. Some places the shelters are 15+ miles apart.

Just a few rambling thoughts of my own. If you do decide to go anywhere here in Central VA, pm me, you'll be in my backyard and I'm happy to help with logistics.

Best
Col. Hannibal Smith
"I love it when a plan comes together!"

Teacher & Snacktime
05-02-2017, 07:32
Maryland is a good place to start for youngsters (and adults for that matter). In addition to some easy trails, there are a few views to reward your efforts, and loads of interesting variety. If you're a National Park buff, then starting off in Harpers Ferry is perfect (with 2 Jr. Ranger Badges available)! Also in the area are Antietam and Gettysburg. The trail itself has the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, the War Correspondents' Memorial, and Reno Monument, and follows the ridge of South Mountain in the footsteps of Civil War Union Troops to and from Antietam and Gettysburg. Frankly, the AT through all of Maryland SHOULD BE a National Park!

Weverton Cliffs, right out of Harpers Ferry, was the first view my grandson Snacktime earned on the AT. It was the start of a beautiful friendship!

Let me know if you want to see pics, etc., as taking kids onto the trail has become something of a "thing" for me :). Or check out my gallery. The second album is all Maryland.

Just Bill
05-02-2017, 08:41
Why the AT? Why not a trail closer to home? Ozark trail, perhaps?

My thoughts too... River to River trail is right across the bridge for you guys starting at Grand Tower/snake road.
You're going to blow 2-4 days of vacation getting there and back.
Like Teacher said- Maryland is a great choice I plan to do with my son (6) or my full family (daughter is 3) at some point at roughly 40 miles or so of trail and good services/shuttles centered around Harpers Ferry.

But worth getting in a couple overnighters (if you haven't already) and a few good multi-day trips to nail down expectations.
My son is still a bit of a coin flip (as are most kids) on what to expect when we go out.
Still to much of a crapshoot to invest the time and commitment of scooting him to far afield when local adventures fit the schedule and also do a good job of renewing my interest in local trails.

I'd call it a coin flip to be honest. Grand tower to Makanda Area vs. Maryland AT as far as nice trail. And the lusk creek wilderness in the center of the R2R is much wilder and often more scenic than many sections of the AT if you want an adventure.

That said, with all those park visits you've done... if you are in the position where you have summers off and can just bum around. Just about anywhere from Rockfish Gap (in VA south of the shennies) and north up to PA is a good section.
Shenandoah provides a nice place to do a practice trip as you can hitch easily in an "emergency" along the drive, plus you've got the waysides to pick up treats or anything you need as well as the campgrounds and lodges if you both need a good night under a roof to clean up, rest, and play. Given the chance I would call that stretch one of the best "beginner" 100 mile sections on the trail... and all the fairly tame wildlife (deer, bear, etc) encounters and services don't hurt either ;)

Otherwise- :welcome

LittleRock
05-02-2017, 09:13
My seven year old son and I have limited hiking experience but both of us want to go on either a long weekend or weeklong hike on the AT this summer. Number of days and nights is flexible.
I'm looking for advice on what sections may be best for us to start with. Any advice would be welcome.
I'd head for somewhere the Shenandoah NP section. The trail is easy - the ups and downs are all less than 1000' and there are frequent opportunities to get off the trail if needed. Perfect for first timers.

Couple things I'd suggest if you're hiking with a young child:

1) Plan for single-digit daily mileage. Some kids are tougher than others, but they always tire out faster than adults. If you want to do this more than once, keep the mileage low, take lots of breaks, and let him enjoy it.

2) Prepare to tent at night. The shelters are a crapshoot in terms of who shows up at night (and what time they show up). I'd hate for your son to get stuck with a raucous bunch who don't know how to censor themselves.

Rain Man
05-02-2017, 09:26
I think I agree with the Shenandoah National Park. Relatively easy. Lots to see and do. Easy to bail out.

Other recommendations might include the Grayson Highlands in southwest Virginia, any of the southern balds, and short stretches of the AT in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (maybe from Clingmans Dome up past Newfound Gap to Icewater Spring Shelter to Charlie's Bunion and back to Newfound Gap).

If you want to include a great hostel/B&B experience, with shuttle to make things easy, then from Carver's Gap to Hwy 19E (over Little Hump and Hump mountains) with stay at Mountain Harbour hostel/B&B.

I agree on easy, single-digit days.

Tennessee Viking
05-02-2017, 09:50
During the summer time, the steep southern ridgelines water sources tend to get low or dry like Holston/Iron/Bald Mtns. So you probably want something with reliable sources.

So I would suggest Standing Indian loop, anywhere from Sams Gap/Erwin to Watauga Lake, or Mt Rogers/Graysons area. Just try to stay an average of 3500' to keep cool during the humid months.

Gambit McCrae
05-02-2017, 13:31
I think I agree with the Shenandoah National Park. Relatively easy. Lots to see and do. Easy to bail out.

Other recommendations might include the Grayson Highlands in southwest Virginia, any of the southern balds, and short stretches of the AT in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (maybe from Clingmans Dome up past Newfound Gap to Icewater Spring Shelter to Charlie's Bunion and back to Newfound Gap).

If you want to include a great hostel/B&B experience, with shuttle to make things easy, then from Carver's Gap to Hwy 19E (over Little Hump and Hump mountains) with stay at Mountain Harbour hostel/B&B.

I agree on easy, single-digit days.

I agree with all of this. SNP is a wonderful place for starters. Nothing technical, campgrounds along the way for cold refreshments and food- showers. Waysides with concessions. Easy to bail. Trail magic routinely.

And I personally would encourage you to use the AT for a starter/ learning trip (in certain sections such as SNP mentioned above) - But then I would also encourage you to branch out into other trails that are less used.

Mr. Bumpy
05-02-2017, 14:21
I also agree with everything above. One of the many great things about the Grayson Highlands area with kids is that if the hike turns sour you can easily rent bicycles in Damascus and ride the Creeper Trail. Or add it on as a reward.
A non-AT area that I never have visited but is on my list is the Cumberland Gap area. There appears to be good backcountry there. Perhaps a little lower elevation so not so good for summer, however.

wcalvert
05-03-2017, 11:26
Good point and thanks for the feedback. Two reasons: He's doing Ozark Trail with his mom, and he is fascinated by the AT. But we do a lot of hiking around STL, and getting ready to start backpacking on weekends too after soccer season is over. :)

wcalvert
05-03-2017, 11:29
Thanks, that's good advice and very kind of you. We're probably not going to make it too many miles per day. We'd prefer to tent camp. I'm so new to this, I'm still trying to figure out when and where tent camping is appropriate and where not. Thanks for tolerating the beginner/dumb questions. :)

wcalvert
05-03-2017, 11:31
I thought I was responding to each inquiry in order. Sorry for that. So much good advice, I really appreciate it all.

FlyPaper
05-03-2017, 12:01
When a kid that age becomes tired, the idea of pressing on will seem impossible to them. However, they can become tired and after resting a while they may find they can actually press on. Also, they love playing along the trail. Throwing rocks, playing in creeks, etc. Better to cover short distance and have fun than long distance and feel like the Baton Death March.

ATX-Dad
05-03-2017, 23:26
My 8 year old daughter and I did Amicalola to Neels Gap in 4 days last summer and she's hooked (we'll do the next 100 miles this summer). She sets the pace, she decided we'd be hammock campers, and she carried her own pack (although I carry the food and we drink her water first.)

When the hill is steep or its late in the day, we came up with a little system called "hundreds," meaning when she announces it, she counts out 100 steps (i.e. - counts in her head) and then decides if she "really" needs a break or if she's made it to a slightly less challenging incline and wants to continue; and if she's feeling good, I'll count 100 and then let her have another chance to decide if it is time for a break...we repeat a few times and then stop for a minute (which is usually 400-500 steps beyond the additional stopping point, but, helps build some endurance and recognition of how to read what's ahead on the trail).

Just as everyone else said, have fun and most of all, just listen to him ramble while you trek, and recognize that is the most special part of the whole thing.