PDA

View Full Version : Valandre Lafayette sleeping bag

boshettee
05-02-2017, 09:03
I am considering purchasing a Valandre Lafayette sleeping bag and was wondering if any of you have had experience with this bag. Biggest concern is whether or not the advertised shoulder width is accurate. 69" width is just to small for my comfort and the Valandre is supposedly 70.9".

Dogwood
05-02-2017, 12:41
Only in store demoed. Valandre is one of the best in rolling out accurate specked finished sleeping bags as the advertised specs. Where I personally think they can do better marketing is clarifying and minimizing info regarding temp ratings. This could possibly be done offering a N America website version and European website versions like several other gear companies. I almost bought the Lafayette for climbing/traversing/mountaineering first to be used also for some backpacking trips. I really liked the way Valandre did their center zip perfect for bivying on climbs with their well above avg fabric characteristics that offers greater loft protection in some wet conditions. The cord locks on my face was an issue.

Dogwood
05-02-2017, 12:42
I owned a Valandre Mirage short zip only releasing it because I was revamping my bag/quilt line up.

boshettee
05-02-2017, 14:24
I gather the cord locks can be stowed behind Velcro so they do not dangle in the face or is that not the case? I saw a video and the poster mentioned the same problem but that Valandre has a solution. Hope the solution is integrated in this years model. Any word on their return policy from anyone would be appreciated too.

boshettee
05-04-2017, 09:58
Another question. Do you think this sleeping bag is 'overkill' for the AT?

boshettee
05-13-2017, 05:37
After careful consideration, I've decided not to go with the Valandre bag. Instead, I am now considering the Kammok Thylacine down bag. Same shoulder width as the Valandre, half the cost, same weight but is rated 20 degree which I believe should be sufficient.

Dogwood
05-13-2017, 08:36
Is it just me or does the Thylacine resemble a Foos ball man? :)

Venchka
05-13-2017, 09:30
Is it just me or does the Thylacine resemble a Foos ball man? :)

Don't know.
The 70" shoulder girth seems excessive. My two bags are 62" (perfect for skinny me) and 65" (roomy without overdoing it).
I couldn't find any mention of loft or side block baffle. Treated down. Why?
What do folks in Austin know about sleeping bags hey!
The REI Igneo deserves consideration.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boshettee
05-13-2017, 12:01
I'm a big man. I have tried smaller bags and am unable to zip them. The smallest big I fit comfortably in has shoulder girth of 70" so the Igneo will not work. I already have a Nemo Stratoloft, which I like, but I am wanting to cut come weight. (It's easier to buy big bag than to lose weight :) )

Venchka
05-13-2017, 16:08
Fair enough. Is there that much difference between 65" and 70"? There can't be very many 70" bags around. Good luck.
Wayne

boshettee
05-13-2017, 17:36
Fair enough. Is there that much difference between 65" and 70"? There can't be very many 70" bags around. Good luck.
Wayne

The difference is enough to make 65" uncomfortable. There are very few 70" and up bags. Those I've found weigh more than my Stratoloft or their cost is too much. The Valandre is an example of a bag costing too much. I've a quilt if I decide not to purchase a new bag but the straps have always been a problem for me. Eventually I will talk myself into purchasing the Kammock, give it a try and if it doesn't work than learn to like the quilt while I continue my search.