PDA

View Full Version : Hiking with an Ostomy

Spogatz
05-02-2017, 12:26
I have one question. How do you find or wear a backpack that doesn't interfere with an Ostomy?
I have been out of the hospital post surgery for about 6 months and I am itching to get back on the trail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

orthofingers
05-02-2017, 13:09
I assume it's the hip belt that would bear on the ostomy site. Could you try going ultra,ultra light and not use a hip belt or would you be able to somehow, modify the belt with a generous window cutout to take pressure off of the ostomy site and tube.

kestral
05-02-2017, 13:15
I don't have an ostomy, but I am a nurse who has worked with many ostomy patients. So much depends upon what the ostomy is draining, where the ostomy was placed, does it need a support belt, how large is the appliance used to secure, and I'm sure your comfort level. You are just going to have to get into some gear stores and try on a bunch of packs to see what works.

Good for you for getting back out! It took a lot of trial and error to get my shoes refigured out after I crushed my foot and had five surgeries. I started in an ortho boot. No fun, but damn it I'm out there! Not quite as fast, but sluggin along ;@)

BuckeyeBill
05-02-2017, 14:11
Try having make a bag/cover for it and see if you can wear over the top of a hip belt. this is what a few others have done and it works for them.