PDA

View Full Version : Weather Advise this Weekend Standing Indian Loop

idealpest
05-02-2017, 20:37
Hello all. I have been planning to solo the standing Indian mountain loop hike this weekend - Thursday to Saturday but the weather forecast isn't looking too good. I would be heading up from south Georgia Thursday morning. Any local advise on what to expect from weather conditions? Forecast pretty much calls for straight rain from Thursday morning thu Saturday? It would be difficult to reschedule trip but I don't want to be completely rained out the entire trip.
Thanks

saltysack
05-02-2017, 20:56
Just go.....be prepared and have fun...high 50's w low in 40's...easy 2 day hike.....first time I did the loop the lows were near 10 and sleet....adversity makes for an exciting trip if your prepared...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
05-02-2017, 21:01
From my recent experience in that area, expect to be very, very wet. That area is at a fair elevation which tends to keep the clouds and rain much longer then lower elevations. Simply going from Dicky creek gap to Hiawassee was a dramatic change in the weather - from steady rain to blue sky - a distance of only 7-8 miles.

There will also likely be a fair number of thru and section hikers in the area, so don't count on getting out of the rain in the shelters. And if I remember right, there isn't a lot of room for tents either. Good luck!

Slo-go'en
05-02-2017, 21:08
Hum, according to the AT weather app, there is a 50% chance of showers at the Standing Indian shelter Friday and a chance of showers/rain Friday night. Then clearing on Saturday and fine for the rest of the week, so might not be so bad. Chilly with lows at 39 though, bundle up! (of course, that's a few days away and subject to change).

Slo-go'en
05-02-2017, 21:12
Ops, sorry didn't notice your "weekend" started on Thursday. That forecast is more ominous. Thursday and Friday does look pretty wet.

daddytwosticks
05-03-2017, 07:10
Thursday and Friday down here in the valleys looks very wet, windy, and cooler than normal. If you are prepared and know what you are getting into, go for it. If it was me, I'd reschedule since I'm a wimp. :)

saltysack
05-03-2017, 07:28
Since it's an easy overnight hike why not go sat and sun only as forecast looks good...12 miles to Carter gap shelter and 10 or 12 miles next day....

Francis Sawyer
05-03-2017, 09:06
If you assume that the forecast is correct then you should expect to get wet. If you don't believe the forecast and just go ahead and then it rains you will still get wet and you will have been warned . That will make you feel foolish. If you just go and take what comes you may still get wet but you will have put the issue in the hands of fate . At the very least you will have taken the guess work out of it. A bad day hiking is better that a good day sitting on the couch.

Tundracamper
05-03-2017, 18:13
There will also likely be a fair number of thru and section hikers in the area, so don't count on getting out of the rain in the shelters. And if I remember right, there isn't a lot of room for tents either. Good luck!

There are thru hikers at the very southern end this late in the season? I'm planning a hike in that area at the end of the month and was counting on the thru hikers to be gone.

glenlawson
05-03-2017, 21:59
cold, wet, wind chill. A great adventure to test your gear, but cold, wet, wind chill. Thurs night or Friday night, wind chills around 25. and wet.

gpburdelljr
05-03-2017, 22:03
Here is a link to get weather information at points on the AT, or PCT.

https://www.atweather.org/forecast?myTrail=AT&myState=NC&myShelter=18

saltysack
05-03-2017, 22:29
There are thru hikers at the very southern end this late in the season? I'm planning a hike in that area at the end of the month and was counting on the thru hikers to be gone.

I've run into several large herds of thrus during May at Carter gap shelter....

anand433
05-04-2017, 06:45
I am planning for the standing Indian loop with wife from Saturday afternoon to Monday morning. Still being prepared for cold and wet weather.

idealpest
05-04-2017, 06:59
thanks for all the info.