PDA

View Full Version : Not good enough Sarge

Team GAK
02-02-2003, 19:46
I have read your response and I must say that I will reman loyal to my beliefs and my friends. I recognise that this is your web site and you set the rules and regulations. I also noticed that you responed to my last post, but still have not deleted the offending posts. I do not know what to conclude from your behavior, but I do know that I do not want to be associated with an AT sub-community that tolerates these offending posts.

I put in my time in the USArmy in the late 60's (Vietnam Era). I have the mental and physical scars that remind me every day of the freedoms I enjoy. I am just so appalled that someone today will use his freedom of speech in such a derogatory fashion.

Please remove me from you membership list on this site and your other site (hikinghg.net).

Thank you -

SGT Rock
02-02-2003, 20:26
I totally understand your position, I can't talk you out of that. I will say that my site is mine, and on it I would delete or ban whomever I choose. But this site ain't actually mine. When we started doing this it is a community, and more than just I deciding to delete or ban people, it should be more of a community decision on what to do about offenders or those they belive to offend. I've looked thru many posts and honestly, almost everything has been deleted or edited by the user himself, so I can't see what I should delete other than a few way off the wall posts that are so obviously screwy anyone can figure out it is pure crap. What remains are some thread titles that are in need of edit, but honestly the responses on them I belive are the strong point of the site.

So, in the end I will delete your membership since you want it that way. I'm sad you are leaving and hope you change your mind to come back. I think rather than allowing one guy to ruin your opinion of WhiteBlaze, your opinion should be on the multitude of members that did not sit back and let this go quietly.

MedicineMan
02-03-2003, 01:51
Here at Whiteblaze it is like being at home or work, everyone has an opinion, I may not like it but I dont tell anyone at either place to stop voicing their views.
I'm dissapointed like many in that those views were aired here but as has been posted it is real life, better or worse, take it or leave it.
I prefer to stay here and hopefully post on the positive.

EarlyRiser
02-03-2003, 18:31
i dont feel that we should delete posts, but senosring of particular words might be called for in some cases. i know i didnt really ask the community first, but i did change some words in a post today to the stars, that i felt should have been entered as such by the original poster. i dont believe in altering somones responce or anything like that, but some words are just better left out of the sight of any minors that might be browsing whiteblaze.net (such as myself). im not sure what everyones opinion of this is, but if there are problems with it then i can change it back. i did what i felt was right, and in the best intrest of the hiking community.

SGT Rock
02-03-2003, 19:15
I wouldn't worry too much about it. I added some words to the filter, but not many. Funny thing is a user used the term *****-footing and it censored that out. I guess you must be carefull what you add because depending on it's use, it may be offensive or not.

steve hiker
02-03-2003, 19:22
What is ****-footing? Seriously. I don't know what was being said, at least out of context.

Those filters are silly anyway, they don't fool anyone.

Lone Wolf
02-03-2003, 19:25
The other word for cat.
snatch, box, ***** don't always mean what you think.

smokymtnsteve
02-03-2003, 20:26
guess if we can't use the word ***** then we will have trouble telling folks about the spring flower *****-toes...

smokymtnsteve
02-03-2003, 20:30
In my post the word *** was starred out...I don't see what is wrong with the word *** ...would the word homosexuals be more appropriate????

SGT Rock
02-03-2003, 20:32
I just think this shows how hard it is to censor some stuff automatically. I can get rid of that one. Imagine trying to edit out the word White because of threads like White is Right or Stay White. For goodness sakes, the site is called WhiteBlaze. There could possibly be a slogan for whiteblazers called "If white anin't right, then I wanna be wrong" which could be taken as racist. "Stay White" could be ment as stay on the White Blaze trail, or it could be used in a racist manner. I would be interested in doing a word search in google and see what would come up for some of these phrases.

EarlyRiser
02-03-2003, 20:49
alright, im not gona go haywire or anything, but if i see objectionable words, that the filters missed, im going to turn them into stars. no offense to anyone or their oppinions. just trying to protect our younger members.

Steve

yeah, i understand that to most people on whiteblaze it is very easy to figure out what word was there, but to the people that were mostly trying to protect from this material it wont be so obvious. just like bleeping a word out on the television or radio, it means that they are not hearing or seeing the word itself, and therefore will not be able to use it or understand its meaning. even i have learned new words on this site from peoples postings.

DebW
02-03-2003, 21:12
Originally posted by steve hiker
What is ****-footing? Seriously. I don't know what was being said, at least out of context.

The context was that a trail should go straight up a mountain, not (cat)-footing around on switchbacks.

Footnotes
02-04-2003, 14:20
Sgt Rock, I was ready to blast you yesterday for using friendship as an excuse to not censor Easy while so many of your friends here at Whiteblaze were offended. Now that I have read all of your posts from several threads concerning Easy's self destructive conduct, I think that you really are trying to be fair to all of us and not showing favoratism. Keep up the the good work. I know how hard it is to run one of these sites and the pay sucks. You are doing a good job.

saimyoji
10-18-2005, 23:31
Wow, did I just resurect (sp?) a two year old thread? Not so hard to belive that the same kind of **** was going on back then.

(self consored)

bogey
10-18-2005, 23:38
And for those of us who came in late, or wonder what happenedd, it's kind of like, huh? what? did anyone get the number of that trucK?? must have been a good thread, though.

smokymtnsteve
10-18-2005, 23:49
And for those of us who came in late, or wonder what happenedd, it's kind of like, huh? what? did anyone get the number of that trucK?? must have been a good thread, though.

OH Yeah..it wuz a great one!!! I'll see if I can find it :D

SGT Rock
10-19-2005, 07:22
No the post in question sucked. It had no redeeming value whatsoever. It happened during a transitional time for this website.

c.coyle
10-19-2005, 16:01
The other word for cat. ... ***** don't always mean what you think.

You mean we can't say tiger footing here? I'm outraged.

Moxie00
10-19-2005, 17:03
Don't change a dam thing. I will try to use poop instead of ****. I said dam because damn may be ****. The site is wonderful and even though sometimes I and others use it to stir things up it is wonderful to be able to do so.
:clap

rickb
10-19-2005, 17:05
I am just gratefull that this site doesn't edit out the word Companionship.

bulldog49
10-20-2005, 10:57
No the post in question sucked. It had no redeeming value whatsoever. It happened during a transitional time for this website.

Sucked isn't a censored word? :eek: