PDA

View Full Version : Paying to store a mail drop

TyCx
05-03-2017, 19:43
Is it normal for a business to charge for storage of a mail drop? One of my stops just told me they charge per day to hold my package.

saltysack
05-03-2017, 19:59
Curious as to where?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lonehiker
05-03-2017, 20:00
Some charge. But, I've never heard of, or used, one that has charged per day. Knowing this in advance, I would avoid that business if it at all possible.

Dogwood
05-03-2017, 20:07
Is it normal to store stuff in your house or self storage facility and have to pay for it? Some places do charge for storage and handling and transportation from sometimes off site pick up of package locations to where you'll be picking up the package. FWIW, USPOs don't charge for storage when picked up in a reasonable amount of time of the ETA date you placed on your package and also labeled as PLEASE HOLD FOR HIKER. What's reasonable might you ask, call the specific USPO's you might have mailed to if any special hold times are in effect for that USPO(it's usually small remote USPO's with limited ability to long term store packages).

Dogwood
05-03-2017, 20:13
Mailing a resupply box to some hostels, for example, a handling and storage and removing your garbage and possible use of facilities fee can incur particularly if you aren't staying there.

StubbleJumper
05-03-2017, 20:46
Seems fair to me. The businesses did not set up shop out of benevolence. They exist to make money. Charging $5 or $10 to hold a resupply box seems fair to me. The exception would be a business such as the Mt Princeton Hot Springs. If you make a reservation to spend the night for $150 and if they also have a reasonable expectation that you'll drop another $50-$100 on meals/beer because you are spending the night, then they should be happy to hold a parcel for you. But other little businesses are completely reasonable if they try to make a few bucks for their effort.

lonehiker
05-03-2017, 22:57
Seems fair to me. The businesses did not set up shop out of benevolence. They exist to make money. Charging $5 or $10 to hold a resupply box seems fair to me. The exception would be a business such as the Mt Princeton Hot Springs. If you make a reservation to spend the night for $150 and if they also have a reasonable expectation that you'll drop another $50-$100 on meals/beer because you are spending the night, then they should be happy to hold a parcel for you. But other little businesses are completely reasonable if they try to make a few bucks for their effort.

Agree with this completely. But, the OP indicated that they were charging per day (unless he misunderstood the policy). Although he didn't mention how much per day, I would avoid that business as when I do send packages I always ship early so as to ensure my package arrives before I do.

TyCx
05-04-2017, 00:23
Curious as to where?

It is in Sargents.

Dogwood
05-04-2017, 01:51
Agree with this completely. But, the OP indicated that they were charging per day (unless he misunderstood the policy). Although he didn't mention how much per day, I would avoid that business as when I do send packages I always ship early so as to ensure my package arrives before I do.

Here's one case of many why I can see a biz charging by the day. On a Hayduke Trail thru-hike I sent a resupply package to very remote Needles Outpost near the Needles District of Canyonlands NP. It was a very ideal place to send a box..for me and for other hikers. For those who don't know resupply points are few and far between on the Hayduke which is routed through some very remote locations. Some hikers do caches which can be a time consuming hassle picking up empty buckets in remote locations after a long thru-hike. I did no caches. Needless to say it is not the convenient and mega analyzed many available options for resupply anything remotely similar to AT standards.

Needles Outpost were/are a small facility. The proprietors even showed me their small storage area dedicated to holding hiker resupply boxes in the back room which was a jammed merchandise storage room. They did this as a service for hikers. I sent a small box but some hikers had sent 10 gal buckets which took up considerable for sale merchandise storage space. It's A RIDE to restock more store merchandise. Even though there were considerable hiking logistical obstacles on the route to allow for accurate ETA I got there the day after my ETA written on the resupply box. The proprietors showed me pics of about 8 buckets and a bunch of boxes from last yr that were never picked up and that few even hikers notified the biz they wouldn't be picked up. These were all abandoned resupply boxes/buckets stored for months inside in a climate controlled room safe from predators and then had to be put in the garbage after not knowing what should be done with them. There were almost as many that yr. Needles Outpost has to pay for garbage removal or haul it out themselves which requires WORK and Resources. Without asking I discarded my empty box into the garbage along with a Ziploc sandwich baggie of garbage. This was not appreciated. I should have asked first or taken the garbage with me to burn. I took garbage disposal AND THE COSTS for granted which is something I rarely had thought about on the AT.

Should Needles Outpost not charge for holding a package by the day since it's taking away from their livelihood which centered around the biz? The proprietors were edgy about this and wanted to no longer hold Hayduke Tr resupply boxes. I can't say I disagree with them.

I can offer so many more examples of inconsiderate unthoughtful of another's resources hikers doing similar crap as if it should be expected hikers should always get something for nothing out of their own pockets but it's A OK for someone else to foot the bill as they(WE) act indiscriminately.

From that day on I never took another biz resources for granted as a hiker even something so simple sounding as throwing away a small flattened cardboard box and Ziploc of garbage.

Dogwood
05-04-2017, 01:59
It is in Sargents.

I know the Trading Post. Are you staying there with a prearranged reservation? If so some sites will rescind the storage or handling fee. If you just want a free for you resupply location there is also a USPO in Sargeants w/ somewhat limited hrs which is why I've never sent a box there. The USPO does have some listed sat hrs through. I don't know that I'd want to get caught in Sergeants for a day or more unexpectedly with a tight hiking timeframe because I I I didn't get my ETA and USPO open hrs right.

TyCx
05-04-2017, 02:43
I know the Trading Post. Are you staying there with a prearranged reservation? If so some sites will rescind the storage or handling fee. If you just want a free for you resupply location there is also a USPO in Sargeants w/ somewhat limited hrs which is why I've never sent a box there. The USPO does have some listed sat hrs through. I don't know that I'd want to get caught in Sergeants for a day or more unexpectedly with a tight hiking timeframe because I I I didn't get my ETA and USPO open hrs right.
I want to stay in one of their cabins for a night but I am unsure of when I'll make it to Sargents. I have an estimated date but I imagine they fill up fast and probably won't have a cabin available if I just walk up on a random day with no reservation.

TyCx
05-04-2017, 02:47
I didn't intend to sound like I felt entitled to use their facility as a storage place for free. This is my first hike where I'll need resupplies and the other few places I called had no problem holding the package for me. Just wanted to know if it was normal. Thanks for the info.

saltysack
05-04-2017, 06:54
Seems close to monarch or 114 why sargents....other options?

Puddlefish
05-04-2017, 07:14
I've seen a few that charge $5 for non guests. All depends on their business plan. The ones that hold packages for free do it as a loss leader, they lose money handling and storing the package, but factor in that cost into what they charge you for other services. Charging per day could be a response to a few hikers who send out a package months in advance, or who never show up to collect that package.

Jeff
05-04-2017, 08:25
The other issue we hostel owners face is what to do about packages never picked up.

Be sure and contact the service provider or have a phone number on your box if there is a chance you will not arrive.

Starchild
05-04-2017, 09:24
Never heard of a per day charge for it, but I guess if it's that remote