PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Trail days

Speer Carrier
01-27-2006, 18:09
I plan on driving up to Damascus for Trail Days this year, and wondered if parking will be a problem? Any one have advice for someone who will be driving, parking for the weekend, and hammock camping while in town?

Speer Carrier

MOWGLI
01-27-2006, 18:35
No worries. Parking is no problem.

Sly
01-27-2006, 18:50
Camping is only allowed at the designinated site. You can park there for $10 for the weekend and take the free shuttle or walk the 1/2 to town. There are also other lots where you could probably park for free and walk (or shuttle) to the camp area.

sliderule
01-27-2006, 21:36
No worries. Parking is no problem.
Last year, parking certainly was a problem in the camp area for those who did not arrive early. By Saturday there was no more room for vehicles and folks were turned away. Eventually a lot across the street from the camping area was opened for parking. Much of the problem could have been avoided if the parking area had been better organized and controlled. Many of the early arrivals parked randomly which resulted in less than efficient use of the available space. And some cars were blocked in by vehicles suffering from a loose connection between the driver's seat and steering wheel.

Speer Carrier
01-27-2006, 22:23
Thanks for the information. I plan to arrive on Friday, so that ought to be early enough to get a spot.

Speer Carrier

Sly
01-27-2006, 22:52
Yeah, even if the camping area parking is jammed there are other spots and most are connected with a free shuttle or within walking distance. No big deal..

MOWGLI
01-27-2006, 22:53
Last year, parking certainly was a problem in the camp area for those who did not arrive early.

Well that makes sense, but the camp area is not my bag. I hung out by the fire for perhaps an hour. That's about all I can handle of that scene.

I was exhibiting and camping next to my exhibit. I was in & out with my car and never had a problem finding a place to park. The lot by the shelter in the park was hardly ever full the whole weekend.

Sly
01-27-2006, 22:57
Mowgli, some people just like to find a reason to complain. ;)

sliderule
01-27-2006, 23:04
The earlier on Friday the better. And don't even think about driving your car once you get a spot. Most of the activities are within a 10-15 minute walk from the camping area. And if you plan on sleeping at night, hang your hammock as far from the campfire ring (aka drum circle) as possible. And bring ear plugs. Expect happy hikers to lift their voices in song well into the early morning hours. And the sound of drum beats will echo through the valley.