PDA

View Full Version : hiking socks: Darn Tough vs Smartwool vs....

wvueers
05-05-2017, 07:26
I currently use Smartwool PhD ultralight merino wool hiking socks for my thru hikes. the problem is the durability of the sock is not what I expect for the price point. also, because it is so thin and light, my foot tends to shift inside my shoe a fair amount. on the flipside, they dry quickly. darn tough seem to be a popular alternative. anyone have any in sight or other socks they like to hike in? I use trail shoes, not boots
thanks
AC

Time Zone
05-05-2017, 07:36
Count me as one who was surprised how much more durable he found Darn Tough to be compared to Smartwool. The latter is fluffier, for sure, though. Yet when it came to decide what socks to send in to Insect Shield for treatment, I went with only Darn Tough.

Not that SmartWool is bad - they're not - it's just that to me, there's no contest between the two.

A soccer sock can be used as a sort of "exterior liner" over another sock, like a SmartWool, and save it some wear and tear.

I've also hiked in Costco's house brand merino wool socks. They're OK. They pill very quickly (probably I should have only ever washed them inside-out), but they haven't worn through.

map man
05-05-2017, 07:58
For people who are prone to toe blisters Injinji is another brand to consider.

MuddyWaters
05-05-2017, 08:02
I have some smartwool received as gifts.
Using them to run in, bet I wore them out behind heel in 150 miles.

JC13
05-05-2017, 08:13
I have one pair of Smartwool, seven pair of Darn Tough. That should speak for itself, but like everything else, it depends on your feet. I get a blister every time I hike in the Smartwool. Unless it is a deluge and I am moving 3-4 mph with soaked socks, 0 blisters with the Darn Tough.

CalebJ
05-05-2017, 08:27
I haven't had a chance to try the Darn Tough socks yet. My experience with Smartwool does mirror others, though. Definitely short lived. Balega (sold in running stores) is far better. Some of my pairs of Balegas have to be close to ten years old at this point.

HeartFire
05-05-2017, 08:32
Point 6 socks, made in Steamboat Springs Co. As good or better than Darn Tough. https://point6.com/ (https://point6.com/)

peakbagger
05-05-2017, 08:39
Darn Tuff also makes socks for the US military. The military versions seem to use a slightly higher synthetic blend. The regular Darn Tuffs live up to their name but the military versions are even tougher. I haven't looked for a source of the military versions as I buy their seconds at the annual factory sale. I quick search shows this company sells them http://uspatriottactical.com/darn-tough-merino-wool-cushion-tactical-boot-sock/

Rain Man
05-05-2017, 08:46
anyone have any in sight or other socks they like to hike in?

Definitely Bridgedale. I've been told they're British?

lonehiker
05-05-2017, 09:47
I've gotten as many as 1,000 miles out of a pair of Darn Tough.

Just Bill
05-05-2017, 12:33
For people who are prone to toe blisters Injinji is another brand to consider.

I've gotten as many as 1,000 miles out of a pair of Darn Tough.

I have one pair of Smartwool, seven pair of Darn Tough. That should speak for itself, but like everything else, it depends on your feet. I get a blister every time I hike in the Smartwool. Unless it is a deluge and I am moving 3-4 mph with soaked socks, 0 blisters with the Darn Tough.

I have some smartwool received as gifts.
Using them to run in, bet I wore them out behind heel in 150 miles.

I concur with MapMan... for some a liner sock from Injini (sp?) may make all the difference.
Personally I no longer wear a liner sock except in deep winter ... Altra shoes are a key component... but Darn Tuff's are just as important to that system for me.

Wigwams, Thor-lo, Fox River, REI, Smartwool... Darn Tuff.
That's thirty years of high end hiking socks for me... and they were always ONLY hiking socks as they were always expensive.
Darn Tuff are the only socks that have become daily wear socks and hold up. I have worn a few out, haven't sent them in to be replaced... I got my money's worth.

A few years back I did a tune up trip on the southern AT and brought two pairs of Darn Tuff to try that out vs. my normal 3 pair system. I didn't like it and picked up a pair of comparable smartwools for the first time in a several years at NOC to round out the three sock system. They were ruined and pulled from the rotation before I even reached hot springs... the darn tuff just started to wear this fall.

Could some smartwools have a place in different activities? Sure- I could see them doing better in a ski-boot perhaps... or as a sleep sock.

Darn Tuff have been out a few years now, and their method/material may spread... so I wouldn't discount one of those other new brands mentioned as potentially the next name on my list when it creeps to the 4 decade mark. But if we're talking today and LD hiking specifically; Darn Tuff is it.

Specifically the hiker cushion... not even all darn tuff's are created equal.;)
https://darntough.com/collections/mens-hike-trek/products/hiker-1-4-sock-cushion?variant=30180802247

Venchka
05-05-2017, 13:17
Yo! Peeps! They are Darn TOUGH socks.
https://darntough.com
Repeating what Just Bill pointed out: Darn Tough makes a zillion different socks. I own several pair in ankle and crew height. The only way I can tell them apart is on my kitchen scale. The AT logo model is heavier and cushier than the Micro Crew Light Cushion. My favorites. I'll get another pair when I'm in the Mast General Store.
My 40+ year sock evolutionary trail, still in my sock drawer.
North Cape, Rohner (Swiss made, better than Darn Tough, should have bought more when I had the chance), No Name white wool boot socks, Smart Wool, Filson, REI, Darn Tough.
We do tend to obsess over our socks. The right socks are heavenly. The rest are rubbish.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puddlefish
05-05-2017, 13:26
I switched from Darned Tough to thin Iniji toes socks when I reached the warmer and wetter portions of my hike. They dried faster, and my toes did better with the weird toe socks after a day of hiking with wet feet. Would recommend both brands.

ranger2012
05-05-2017, 15:07
+1 for Darn Tough. I use the "Darn Tough Men's Micro Crew Cushion Hiking Socks" with trail runners and dirty girl gaiters and that combo has worked well for thousands of miles.

rmitchell
05-05-2017, 21:15
My vote is for Darn Tough. Just back from section from Shenandoah to Harpers Ferry. Darn Tough Micro Crew in Merrill Moab, no liner. Zero blisters, no black toe nails.

The_John_Muir_Way
05-05-2017, 21:43
Looks like I need to pick up a pair of Darn Tough!

Dogwood
05-06-2017, 00:34
I currently use Smartwool PhD ultralight merino wool hiking socks for my thru hikes. the problem is the durability of the sock is not what I expect for the price point. also, because it is so thin and light, my foot tends to shift inside my shoe a fair amount. on the flipside, they dry quickly. darn tough seem to be a popular alternative. anyone have any in sight or other socks they like to hike in? I use trail shoes, not boots
thanks
AC
Wait a minute!

First, Smartwool makes at least 4 different models of their Ph.D UL socks just that I'm aware. It's not being given which model the OP is being referred. Second, of all the Smartwool sock models available the OP elects an UL model which are a low cush thinner minimalist sock model. Then, the OP is complaining how thin and light they are, how his foot is shifting around inside the shoe, and seeing durability as a problem. How is that a Smartwool caused problem? No price point is shared the OP paid for these socks either. Hey, buy a different Smartwool sock model that has more cush, is thicker, is heavier wt, composed of different material, different % of those materials, and NOT UL based on wanting a thicker longer wearing sock.

Third, let's aim to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges rather than making sweeping broad brush generalized Smartwoool to Darn Tough comparisons. If you are going to compare socks compare a like DT model to the Smartwool Ph.D UL based on knowing what model Smartwool PhD UL sock is being referred.

Traveler
05-06-2017, 08:00
My vote is for Darn Tough. Just back from section from Shenandoah to Harpers Ferry. Darn Tough Micro Crew in Merrill Moab, no liner. Zero blisters, no black toe nails.
Socks typically do not cause blisters, though they can exacerbate them at times. Sounds more like you have your foot gear laced and tied properly to stop foot slide (black toes) and heel lift (blisters), preventing problems.

Ethesis
05-06-2017, 09:50
Count me as one who was surprised how much more durable he found Darn Tough to be compared to Smartwool. The latter is fluffier, for sure, though. Yet when it came to decide what socks to send in to Insect Shield for treatment, I went with only Darn Tough.

Not that SmartWool is bad - they're not - it's just that to me, there's no contest between the two.

A soccer sock can be used as a sort of "exterior liner" over another sock, like a SmartWool, and save it some wear and tear.

I've also hiked in Costco's house brand merino wool socks. They're OK. They pill very quickly (probably I should have only ever washed them inside-out), but they haven't worn through.

I sleep in the Costco socks.

Venchka
05-06-2017, 10:08
Saying that you wear SmartWool or Darn Tough or any other sock is like saying that you have an Osprey pack, Western Mountaineering sleeping bag, TarpTent and drive a Chevy.
Gear is too personal for one combination of sock and shoe to work for everyone.
How you go about putting on your socks and shoes is another story.
Rocketsocks?
Wayne

Moosling
05-06-2017, 10:45

I work on my feed all day 40+ hours a week and wear the Costco merino wool socks everyday, they've last a solid year and have finally start to wear holes in them, ive also washed them far too often but they are a really good value.

Dogwood
05-06-2017, 10:57

Socks typically do not cause blisters, though they can exacerbate them at times. Sounds more like you have your foot gear laced and tied properly to stop foot slide (black toes) and heel lift (blisters), preventing problems.

Agree with Traveler. Condemning or labeling an entire brand of socks for supposedly being the prime cause of the underlined issues like blisters or black toe nails is confusing and likely incorrect. SO MANY things go into the causation of those issues like shoe fit, insoles, the specific model of sock, and several other factors rather than simply the brand.

peakbagger
05-06-2017, 14:30
By the way, Darn Tuff is just the house brand for Cabot Hosiery. They make a large number of private label socks, The factory sale is literally in the warehouse right next door to the knitting machines and they make corridors for the sale out of whatever boxes they have in stock. They don't sell labeled private label socks at the sale but I expect they sell many very high end unlabeled socks that are overruns and seconds from the private runs. I expect some of the national brand outdoor socks are probably Cabot Hosiery.

Saprogenic
05-06-2017, 14:58
Watching a zpacks hiking videos, Red Beard was talking about how Joe turned him on to Wigwam Triathlete socks. All my prior hiking socks were the wigwam ultimax socks so I tried them when I switched to trail runners. Haven't got big mile on them to speak of durability, but my other wigwams have all held up well. I really like the thin sock and trail runner combo. After hiking for a bit the socks become almost like a second skin, even if they wear out quickly, I still really like the real thin socks concept.
I noticed after looking at the darn tough website for the first time, they have something similar under the running section. Anyone ever try these? They have a wool and a full synthetic version. https://darntough.com/collections/mens-run/products/vertex-1-4-sock-ultra-light?variant=30180571783

left52side
05-06-2017, 20:11
I used smartwool endurance socks on my SHT thru hike and two pairs did not last fifty miles.
When I arrived in Tofte Mn at the outfitter they did not stock darn tough(which is my go to sock but duluth pack didnt have any in my size which explains the smart wool purchase) but did have some merino endurance socks called farm to feet out of Damascus so I bought two pair and was suprised to find how comfortable and durable they were and would recommend them.
If you have narrowed it down to darn tough or smartwool I would go give darn tough A try .
I just used two pair of there endurance socks on my FT thru hike and they are still going strong.
Darn tough has amazing customer service and A no questions ask lifetime warranty where I found smartwools customer service was lacking in more than the return policy of there products not to mention there socks didnt last any time.

-Rush-
05-06-2017, 20:25
thanks
AC

I prefer Injiji Trail toe socks and Injiji Coolmax liners. The liners get a little beat up once you get past 200 miles of use, but I don't get blisters and they are comfortable soaking wet for 10-15 miles. I see no reason to switch or try anything else. I use them in Altra Lone Peak and Merrell Ventilator shoes. They won't get replaced for free, but I buy multiple when I see a deal.

MtDoraDave
05-07-2017, 14:11
Saying that you wear SmartWool or Darn Tough or any other sock is like saying that you have an Osprey pack, Western Mountaineering sleeping bag, TarpTent and drive a Chevy.
Gear is too personal for one combination of sock and shoe to work for everyone.
How you go about putting on your socks and shoes is another story.
Rocketsocks?
Wayne

Well said.

My initial boot/ sock purchase was done at the same time, same outfitter. They suggested I get 2 pair of the socks - the socks were the AT logo DarnTough socks. That was 2.5 years ago and perhaps 600 hiking miles ago.

The Darn Tough socks did shrink after washing (even though I didn't put them in the dryer), but they have held up well; I'm still using the first two pair I bought. The elastic around the openings is pretty much shot, but the foot areas are all perfect.

I did buy one pair of Smart Wool socks, just to try them out. Don't recall which specific model they are, but they are taller and fluffier than my Darn Toughs. I like how thick they are, and have hiked in them without issue, but because of their fluffiness, they tend to be my camp / sleep socks.

Venchka
05-07-2017, 15:45
Thank you MtDoraDave.
Wayne

Venchka
05-07-2017, 15:48
Instructional video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=prRtcQz8Uqk
Wayne

MuddyWaters
05-07-2017, 17:09
Some people are just too hard headed to learn from others that have thousands of trouble free miles.

KDogg
05-07-2017, 19:31
I wore Injiji toe liners with Darn Toughs over them the whole trail. I got a few blisters in NH (where the real rocks are!) but nothing bad. When I got done with my thru I sent all three pairs of DT back and they replaced them.

Feral Bill
05-07-2017, 21:15
Inspired by this thread, I ordered a few pairs of Darn Toughs this morning. I noticed their "work socks" lack colorful patterns and cost a bit less. I'm looking forward to their arrival.

swjohnsey
05-07-2017, 21:50
Wright Socks are two layers, prevent blisters and are very durable. Three pair lasted me the entire hike. I think I went through six pairs of shoes.

dmax
05-08-2017, 00:03
I started out with smart wool. Switched to darn tough. Spent the last couple of years wearing wright socks.

Traveler
05-08-2017, 06:43
Some people are just too hard headed to learn from others that have thousands of trouble free miles.
Perhaps some just aren't able to comprehend others have thousands of trouble free miles on socks other than what they prefer?

MuddyWaters
05-08-2017, 06:54
Perhaps some just aren't able to comprehend others have thousands of trouble free miles on socks other than what they prefer?

If something works for someone, they should use it

But they also should realize when they still have room for improvement . If liner or an anti-friction goo, or magic sock is credited with foot sucess...no, theres still something not optimal for their foot. Particularly at low 10-15 mpd mileage.

rocketsocks
05-08-2017, 07:56
thanks
AC
Do you like thick socks or thin socks, darn toughs are a little thicker

Bansko
05-08-2017, 08:02
I think Darn Tough's "secret" is that they tend to be dense. They might not feel as soft as many others, but they go the distance.

BuckeyeBill
05-08-2017, 11:15
I have used Darn tough socks for years now and now use their AT socks because Darn tough donates 5% back to the ATC. At current prices that's $1.00 per pair. Not much, but those dollars add up.

scope
05-08-2017, 11:25
Sadly, I can't wear the Injinji socks, I have webbed toes. No, seriously.

I've got a pair of Darn Tough crews I've been doing weekend hikes for years now and they are holding up. My Smartwool work socks get thin in the heel quick.

KDogg
05-08-2017, 12:22
I didn't see any other hikers on my thru with my exact footwear setup. This includes socks. There definitely isn't a definitive answer here and I would hope that the OP tries several different combos to find out what works for them.

wvueers
05-10-2017, 14:16
I prefer thin socks and that they dry quickly. I don't remember having much foot pain but just some blisters. After some consideration I might try a pair of darn tough and point 6 socks ,light weight instead of ultra light weight and see how it goes .the HST is only 75 miles or so, wouldn't have to suffer for too long....

Tundracamper
05-14-2017, 17:07
I have also been debating the thick vs thin. I have a couple pair of Darn Tough, but I think they are the Coolmax. I'd like to try the regular merino Micro Crew Cushion. A local place had some Light Cushion, but it just seemed really thin. After being used to the SmartWool thick socks, I think the regular Darn Tough cushion would be a little thinner. I have no idea what works better for blisters, but it seems the cushion would be more comfortable, but perhaps hotter in the summer months.

egilbe
05-14-2017, 17:45
Use the sock thickness to fine-tune the fit of your shoes. I prefer the thicker socks, myself.

Wyoming
05-18-2017, 23:50
Just another post reiterating that there is NO RIGHT ANSWER to this question of socks.

IMHO the lightest Smartwool ankle high sock is a far better sock than the Darn Toughs. Reasoning....

1. Breathability is key. Thin socks breathe much better than thick ones and the Darn Toughs are much thicker than the Smartwool.
2. Thick socks hold a lot more moisture than thin ones.
3. Blisters. The key factors in getting blisters are heat, moisture and friction. You can control friction by fitting your shoe perfectly. But a thicker sock holds more moisture and is hotter. Now on the AT this makes little difference as the trail is not very hot and is about 95% in the shade. When you hike in the desert a lot like I do those Darn Toughs are hot and your feet get really sweaty. And the Darn Tough cause hot spots when the thin Smartwools don't.
4. Who gives a crap about how long the sock lasts? Really? Folks here spend a fortune on light trail running shoes which wear out just by looking at them and then think buying Darn Tough's makes some kind of sense? I don't get that at all. Besides I get about 1000 miles per pair of Smartwool socks - I am serious and not exaggerating. If you fit your shoe right then it does not slide around in the shoe and wear your socks out.

I have put on a pair of Darn Toughs when I had been trail hiking with a pack over 100 miles a week in the heat of the AZ summer and had good callus's and was never getting blisters or hot spots and within a couple of hours had hots spots forming.

So ymmv but I will take the Smartwool any day.

poolskaterx
05-23-2017, 20:24
Gear is different for each person; I have had GREAT success with the couple of pairs of REI merino socks I got out of their garage sale; I did get a couple of pairs of the darn tough socks a year ago for Christmas and I like them very much, however, they are a bit thicker and take a little getting used to.

saltysack
05-24-2017, 12:08
I haven't had a chance to try the Darn Tough socks yet. My experience with Smartwool does mirror others, though. Definitely short lived. Balega (sold in running stores) is far better. Some of my pairs of Balegas have to be close to ten years old at this point.

I bought a few pair off Belega at REI few months back for the gym....I love them....as much as I like my DT for hiking I'm thinking I'll try these for my CT hike as they are lighter, thinner and feel better with my new Altra Olympus...they are polyester not wool so will see how they work long term...so far I've only worn at the gym for few hours daily...

MuddyWaters
05-24-2017, 12:30
Gear is different for each person; I have had GREAT success with the couple of pairs of REI merino socks I got out of their garage sale; I did get a couple of pairs of the darn tough socks a year ago for Christmas and I like them very much, however, they are a bit thicker and take a little getting used to.
I liked rei merino for gym

When i ran in them they didnt last long before holes on heels

greenmtnboy
06-20-2017, 18:47
Any of the merino socks with a real free replacement guarantee are comparable IMO, though I tried darned tough socks once and found them to be quality. LL Bean, Smartwool, even the Costco Kirkland Merinos and alpaca socks are decent. Compare these to the many years of lower grade socks hikers had to use, cotton and hard wool. It is possible to make most natural fabrics comfortable. My hope is for accessible and affordable to all hiking/camping products where no one is excluded from the great outdoors. Used is fine too as long as the products fit. I knew a nice older couple in Stowe VT years ago that had Merino sheep but they couldn't get any real money for the raw wool product with the New Zealand subsidy.

TTT
06-20-2017, 19:35
Bridgedale liners and medium/summit wool socks. A match made in heaven - hooray for the Irish!