PDA

View Full Version : Another awesome trail coffee....cheap

saltysack
05-05-2017, 15:27
I had never heard of Korean instant coffee....Maxim..this stuff is good..already has lil powdered milk and sugar....way better than the Trader Joe's w sugar and milk....Good hot or cold....Amazon...$19.99 for 100 sticks....https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170505/9738c0227de0af5398e08643e1abf771.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisMek
05-05-2017, 15:32
Early Riser has been talking about these... They sound pretty good, by his account.

CalebJ
05-05-2017, 15:33
They're an excellent way to get a halfway decent cup going. I just mix two packs in about 16 ounces of cold water. Hits the spot, and nothing beats the simplicity.

saltysack
05-05-2017, 16:03
Funny I met early riser in Va few weeks ago while I was on a short 2.5 day section hike....I've yet to try Maxim on trail just at home but plan on using as I've done before....

16 oz Gatorade bottle with water
1.5 bag of carnation IB
1 Maxim coffee
1 Mt Hagen coffee
1 spoon of nido....

Usually make two of these before bed so they're ready first thing...I like em cold..

SWODaddy
05-05-2017, 16:49
I've got some....my opinion: meh.

Cafe Bustello(sp?) is the best cheap single serve IMO.

SWODaddy
05-05-2017, 16:49

SWODaddy
05-05-2017, 16:52
Funny I met early riser in Va few weeks ago while I was on a short 2.5 day section hike....I've yet to try Maxim on trail just at home but plan on using as I've done before....

16 oz Gatorade bottle with water
1.5 bag of carnation IB
1 Maxim coffee
1 Mt Hagen coffee
1 spoon of nido....

Usually make two of these before bed so they're ready first thing...I like em cold..

I do almost the same thing, only its just carnation instant breakfast and Starbucks instant mocha or latte (which is basically instant coffee, dried milk, and sugar).

saltysack
05-05-2017, 17:22

I like bustello also but like changing it up....all about $.20-.25 per pack so way cheaper than the via from 4$ .....Which I dislike almost as much as tasters choice....yuck!

MuddyWaters
05-05-2017, 17:59
Yech

Milk and sugar in coffee??

Sorry, people that put stuff in coffee, have absolutely no idea what coffee even is.

I drink crap coffee daily for work and when in rush. Not a coffee snob, but i grind and brew fresh roasted coffee beans when i have time. Most people have never tasted what real good fresh coffee is. They need milk and sugar because they are drinking bitter sour stale oxidized old grind coffee, overroasted to try to hide the bitterness.

devoidapop
05-05-2017, 18:11
I like my coffee the same as my wife. Tall, dark, and bitter

zippyd8
05-05-2017, 19:12
Sounds pretty good

zippyd8
05-05-2017, 19:13
I like my coffee the same as my wife. Tall, dark, and bitter
lol thats awesome

Colter
05-05-2017, 19:40
I had never heard of Korean instant coffee....Maxim..this stuff is good...

I agree. That's what I've been carrying recently.

saltysack
05-05-2017, 20:26
Yech

Sorry, people that put stuff in coffee, have absolutely no idea what coffee even is.

I drink crap coffee daily for work and when in rush. Not a coffee snob, but i grind and brew fresh roasted coffee beans when i have time. Most people have never tasted what real good fresh coffee is. They need milk and sugar because they are drinking bitter sour stale oxidized old grind coffee, overroasted to try to hide the bitterness.

I hear ya...I've had plenty of "good coffee" been to costa, Puerto Rico several times and recently Cuba and frequent the cesspool of south Fl...I know what good coffee is and drink it the way I like it...I drink Cuban coffee black but like to change it up...I am a coffee snob at home but on trail I like my caffeine with sugar and milk!!!

Dogwood
05-05-2017, 21:02
Does it come with a translator? From SK or NK? I don't trust that NK cult leader even with my instant coffee. How much Won does it cost? I'm not in the strict forum am I? :p

Well we know where the OP stands starting threads today titled "What energizes you after bonking out?" and "Another awesome coffee...":D

saltysack
05-05-2017, 21:03
Yech

They also sell it black....i accidentally ordered the gold version with milk and sugar but does tastes a lot better than others I've had.....the packaging isn't in English...sure hope it's just milk and sugar!!!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170506/4294b997acbbd9425c18c3fe0ce433a4.jpg

blw2
05-05-2017, 22:00
I ordered a box of that stuff on amazon. I like a bold brew normally. I find it as it is a bit weak and way too sweet for my liking. I did learn that you can pinch the tube as you pour it and restrict the amount of creamer and sugar that pours out...(the coffee tends to rise to the top while the sugar and creamer settle). Apparently some of that Korean kanji says to do just that.....
I'll sometimes use one packet as is, and a second packet holding out as much of teh cream and sugar as I can...just to make it a bit stronger. Not bad for what it is. I've also used 1 pack of this + 1 pack of via, but I find the via bitter so it's not my favorite. Planning to try some nescafe or something for the same purpose....

saltysack
05-05-2017, 22:42
I ordered a box of that stuff on amazon. I like a bold brew normally. I find it as it is a bit weak and way too sweet for my liking. I did learn that you can pinch the tube as you pour it and restrict the amount of creamer and sugar that pours out...(the coffee tends to rise to the top while the sugar and creamer settle). Apparently some of that Korean kanji says to do just that.....
I'll sometimes use one packet as is, and a second packet holding out as much of teh cream and sugar as I can...just to make it a bit stronger. Not bad for what it is. I've also used 1 pack of this + 1 pack of via, but I find the via bitter so it's not my favorite. Planning to try some nescafe or something for the same purpose....

Try 1 of these and one mt Hagen... good balance

devoidapop
05-06-2017, 08:11
If you really like a rich, creamy cup of coffee, collagen or cocoa butter discs would be great for backpacking and they won't stick to your teeth like powdered coffee creamer.

saltysack
05-07-2017, 07:55
If you really like a rich, creamy cup of coffee, collagen or cocoa butter discs would be great for backpacking and they won't stick to your teeth like powdered coffee creamer.

Sounds yummy but normally drink my coffee concoction cold in morn as don't cook in AM....I'll definitely try though...I was thinking I'd try DW suggestion about the ss packets of coconut oil also in it. Thx

CalebJ
05-07-2017, 08:58
Yech

Interesting. So nobody that appreciates good coffee ever uses any form of additive? What about the various international variations that are brewed intensely and typically served with sugar (Lebanese and Turkish come to mind). I generally drink black coffee at home from fresh roasted and ground beans with a French press. Doesn't mean I don't occasionally use heavy cream with it. On the trail I find a French press a giant pain. An aeropress is a decent alternative. However, most of my trips these days are stove less, and the Korean coffee fits that situation perfectly. Listen more to people's needs and options and rush to judgment less.

bikebum1975
05-07-2017, 19:11
Yech

Oh I dunno I'd have to disagree regarding coffee I'll agree on fresh grinding whole beans though. I personally enjoy it with a touch of cream. And yes I've had my share of black coffee

Starchild
05-07-2017, 19:14
Sugar in coffee is a no-starter.

MuddyWaters
05-07-2017, 19:28
Realize that if you put adulterants in coffee.....its because you dont like coffee.
You may like what you drink. But its not coffee anymore. Its coffee with X. Usually startling amounts of X.

Ive been coerced to drink arabic coffee with coworkers in middle east. Sorry, frickin disgusting. Cardamom is disgusting, like drinking flowers. Which is why the cup is soo tiny.....

Fresh roasted single source ripe beans whose smell fills a room and lingers for long time just by opening bag, ground right before use , oozing co2 during bloom and brew, 16-17:1 water ratio, brewed perfectly balanced, hints of chocolate, earthiness, acidic flavors depending on soil of origination....is real coffee, what coffee is all about. You cannot experience it putting adulterants in it.

Todays mass produced stale pre grind market, has totally replaced real coffee for 99+% of people. Roasted whole beans lose over half their flavors in 2 weeks from roast date. Unless you purchase fresh beans from local roaster with the roast date on bag, its hard to experience really good coffee.

Im not a snob but i can discern between different single source beans, brew extraction times , etc. The vast majority of what I drink daily is pure crap. Both at work, and the keurig junk leaving house in morning.

But on weekends......😊. Its awesome, its glorious, it tastes like it smells..

Venchka
05-07-2017, 22:28
Occasionally. Usually on long road trips. I'll actually go to a Starbucks and order a raspberry mocha latte with an extra shot.
The rest of the year I drink my coffee neat.
Wayne

TrappedInsideACube
05-08-2017, 13:17
I've had the Maxim singles before and I still prefer Cafe Bustelo. Maxim tastes pretty bland to me, but I am also one of those black coffee only snobs.

CalebJ
05-08-2017, 14:16
It is somewhat bland, but tossing an extra pack in works wonders in that regard.

bayview
05-10-2017, 09:35
I ended up getting both the Maxim and G7 packs and mixing together to make my cup. Makes a pretty easy ok cup of coffee when in a rush and needing the quick boost. Just curious if it will help with my morning need of a kickstart to get other things moving that coffee generally assists with. It is bad when we are slaves to our routines.

hokieav8r
05-10-2017, 09:42
In the words of one of my best worldly friends, "I like my coffee like I like my women. Dumb!"

saltysack
05-10-2017, 10:04
Realize that if you put adulterants in coffee.....its because you dont like coffee.
You may like what you drink. But its not coffee anymore. Its coffee with X. Usually startling amounts of X.

Ive been coerced to drink arabic coffee with coworkers in middle east. Sorry, frickin disgusting. Cardamom is disgusting, like drinking flowers. Which is why the cup is soo tiny.....

Fresh roasted single source ripe beans whose smell fills a room and lingers for long time just by opening bag, ground right before use , oozing co2 during bloom and brew, 16-17:1 water ratio, brewed perfectly balanced, hints of chocolate, earthiness, acidic flavors depending on soil of origination....is real coffee, what coffee is all about. You cannot experience it putting adulterants in it.

Todays mass produced stale pre grind market, has totally replaced real coffee for 99+% of people. Roasted whole beans lose over half their flavors in 2 weeks from roast date. Unless you purchase fresh beans from local roaster with the roast date on bag, its hard to experience really good coffee.

Im not a snob but i can discern between different single source beans, brew extraction times , etc. The vast majority of what I drink daily is pure crap. Both at work, and the keurig junk leaving house in morning.

But on weekends......[emoji4]. Its awesome, its glorious, it tastes like it smells..

Lots of valid points...I need to find a local roaster...I guess the local Maxwell house factory doesn't count.....[emoji51]though it does make our down town air smell allot better.....covers up all the piss smell from the hobos.....

MuddyWaters
05-10-2017, 10:58
Lots of valid points...I need to find a local roaster...I guess the local Maxwell house factory doesn't count.....[emoji51]though it does make our down town air smell allot better.....covers up all the piss smell from the hobos.....

I highly recomnend getting a simple pour-over setup, fresh beans, hand burr grinder. Good coffee is one of those things that mass production/marketing stole from everyone over the last 100 yrs, and is currently undergoing rennaissance. Most is so sour and bitter, flat and flavorless, its no wonder people add milk and sugar to drink it.

Very short shelf life once roasted. No shelf life at all if ground. They tried vacuum packing, nitrogen packing, etc over years to preserve it..doesnt work.

tiptoe
05-10-2017, 11:11
Cardamom? Brings back fond memories of little syrupy cups of strong sweet coffee with a real kick to it. Maybe I'll grind up a little to enhance my Korean coffee treats on my upcoming Maine hike.

bayview
05-10-2017, 14:23

I know what you mean with the local fresh roaster. I live just down the road and love going into J'ville to smell the beans. Just wish they tasted as good as they smell at times.

grubbster
05-11-2017, 08:04
I roast my own beans. It can be done with things as simple as a outdoor grill or an air popcorn popper.

Time Zone
05-11-2017, 08:28

But on weekends....... Its awesome, its glorious, it tastes like it smells..

This is meant in a good spirit:
what powers of discernment would a real coffee snob have over that which you've claimed for yourself?

scope
05-11-2017, 12:22
Realize that if you put adulterants in coffee.....its because you dont like coffee...

Were you an actor on Twin Peaks?

I'm an adulterer, LOL. Agreed that the combination of two things is different than the one thing appreciated by itself. I think its extreme, though, to say somebody by definition doesn't like thing 1 because they prefer it with thing 2. I like black coffee from time to time, especially when I'm splurging on good stuff. (same with my liquor) But I do prefer it with creme and sugar. Sort of a latin thing I picked up.

Venchka
05-11-2017, 12:37
It is somewhat bland, but tossing an extra pack in works wonders in that regard.

If it takes 2 to maybe equal 1 Cafe Bustelo then the Cafe Bustelo is even cheaper.
Found the Cafe Bustelo instant singles $0.86/6 locally. Beat that Amazon.
Wayne

CalebJ
05-11-2017, 13:05
Nice. I don't recall ever seeing it close to that price, but I'll keep an eye out.

scope
05-11-2017, 13:12
Nice. I don't recall ever seeing it close to that price, but I'll keep an eye out.

Really? Its 99cents regular price at my store, so 86 is only 15% off.

Timely as I just made myself a cup. I have access to free "pod" coffee at work but would rather have the Bustelo for the minimal cost.

CalebJ
05-11-2017, 14:11
Hmm... Maybe I've just missed it in the past. In any case, one of my reasons for appreciating the Maxim option was that the added cream and sugar make it a perfect shake and drink option for a quick morning breakfast as I'm packing up camp. Cold, instant black coffee just doesn't sound that good to me. Actually takes me back to times in the military when I was sleepy and poured instant coffee in my mouth to let it dissolve. Pretty sure the bitterness did more to wake me up than the caffeine ever did.

Venchka
05-11-2017, 14:54
Target stocks the Cafe Bustelo singles at ~$1.05/6.
Wayne

bikebum1975
05-18-2017, 16:28

But on weekends......😊. Its awesome, its glorious, it tastes like it smells..

Actually you'd be wrong there I do happen to like black coffee. For myself personally it depends on my mood some days I'll drink black also do it with a touch of cream. As for the brewing methods my two favorites are the pour over got a stainless steel version just for it and perkie pot. Yep some say its crap and that's fine I grew up with them so its a bit of nostalgia brewing in one brings back fond memories of my grampa. As to whole bean yep I'll agree with ya there to nothing better than fresh brew

scrabbler
05-19-2017, 22:29

Thanks Muddy, I needed a good laugh.

tflaris
05-21-2017, 08:00
I had never heard of Korean instant coffee....Maxim..this stuff is good..already has lil powdered milk and sugar....way better than the Trader Joe's w sugar and milk....Good hot or cold....Amazon...$19.99 for 100 sticks....https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170505/9738c0227de0af5398e08643e1abf771.jpg

They sell something similar in Thailand. Great stuff for an all in one package.

axmdr40
05-21-2017, 09:30
As a coffee snob who exclusively drinks his coffee black..usually french pressed, I found that I had to compromise for the trail. I was originally bringing along fresh ground (separated into vacuum sealed portions) and using a GSI Java Press. GREAT to have good coffee in on the trail. BUT, coffee grounds are a pain in the arse/messy to clean out the press and pack out. It just wasn't worth it. I despise the Starbucks brand packets, and settled on these (https://www.amazon.com/Nescaf%C3%A9-Instant-Coffee-Sticks-ORIGINAL/dp/B000W5BS9K/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1495373233&sr=8-1&keywords=nescafe+3+in+one). I found the little bit of sugar is actually beneficial to get me going and give me a little energy for the trail.

egilbe
05-21-2017, 20:35
I tried that stuff Shug is always drinking from his hammock. Its not bad. Better thanmaxwell house or nescafe instants.

Uncle Walkie
05-24-2017, 08:47
Yech

Coffe advice from a guy named "Muddy Waters"?! Bahahaha! awesome
Actually I only drink black coffee too. I live in Okinawa now and the Japanese have lots of instant coffee choices. Not too bad.