PDA

View Full Version : Black Hills and Big Horn Mountains

Patriot76
05-05-2017, 16:57
I have been an avid backpacker, hunter, and fisherman for the last 45 years. Joined this site because it has been a goal of mine to hike the AT during this entire time. My sons were raised backpacking, hunting, and fishing in the Black Hills of South Dakota/Wyoming, the Big Horns of Wyoming, Yellowstone NP, Glacier NP, and the Rockies of Colorado. The Rockies are well documented on the CT, but if you want to avoid crowds, you might want to consider the Black Hills or Big Horns.

Resupply is very limited if none existent. Posted trails are limited. Some of both areas require bushwhacking. You are totally on your own if an injury occurs. Fishing is great in both locals. I would be happy to provide inside information to anyone that wants to PM me.

Dogwood
05-05-2017, 17:16
Gracious offer. TU.

I don't know where to start with questions about the Black Hills and Big Horns and I don't want to ask questions without having done more research.

Patriot76
05-05-2017, 17:42
Gracious offer. TU.

I don't know where to start with questions about the Black Hills and Big Horns and I don't want to ask questions without having done more research.

Thank you for your interest. You are a highly respected member of the forum and very knowledgeable about backpacking and the evolution of equipment. I have a great deal of experience backpacking for hiking, hunting and fishing. The new equipment I read about hear is amazing. My gear is still from the 1970's and 80"s except for a silk covered down quilt of my great grandmothers given to me by my mother when I graduated from high school. I use it for most of my adventures with a plastic coating to protect mattress in shipping for shelter. Depending on the expected temperatures, I might add a wool blanket or military liner to the mix. Let me know if you have any interest in either location.

lonehiker
05-05-2017, 18:10
I would argue that re-supply is very easy on the Centennial Trail in the Black Hills. Legion lake, Pactola Res. visitor center, Whispering Pines CG, Nemo, I am probably missing 1 or 2 more. For just a quick bite to eat you also have Mt Rushmore, the Sugar Shack, Sheridan Lake, Pactola boat ramp snack shack.

DuneElliot
05-05-2017, 21:02
I know the Bighorns like the back of my hand. Most trails don't require resupply. I will be doing an end-to-end trip of the Bighorns at the end of July and will be doing one resupply, only due to the fact that I like to hike slow and not carry 10 days of supplies.

I will advocate for the Bighorns as an awesome backpacking experience that sees few people, and wrote a few blog posts about several of my backpacking trips.

DuneElliot
05-05-2017, 21:03
I also agree with lonehiker that the Centennial Trail is super easy to resupply on.

Patriot76
05-06-2017, 09:56
I know the Bighorns like the back of my hand. Most trails don't require resupply. I will be doing an end-to-end trip of the Bighorns at the end of July and will be doing one resupply, only due to the fact that I like to hike slow and not carry 10 days of supplies.

I will advocate for the Bighorns as an awesome backpacking experience that sees few people, and wrote a few blog posts about several of my backpacking trips.

Therefore you have traveled to seven brothers and over to Ten Sleep. Another I love is between Story or Big Horn to Lost Lake, then to Sawmill Lakes and back to Sheridan. My point is I made trips off trails and did not meet many individuals during any of my trips so I carried what I thought I needed. These are some of the type of trips I loved to make. I was a teacher/coach and principal in Sheridan for many years.

Patriot76
05-06-2017, 10:11
I would argue that re-supply is very easy on the Centennial Trail in the Black Hills. Legion lake, Pactola Res. visitor center, Whispering Pines CG, Nemo, I am probably missing 1 or 2 more. For just a quick bite to eat you also have Mt Rushmore, the Sugar Shack, Sheridan Lake, Pactola boat ramp snack shack.
You are correct if you follow the Centennial Trail. I like the unmarked routes to avoid crowds and see the scenery few have experienced. Few have experienced the cave under Mt. Rushmore (originally built as the Presidents Vault), Grizzly Bear Falls, the Devils Bathtub, or many other wonders of the Black Hills. For the average backpacker the Centennial trail will provide a fantastic experience of the Black Hills.

DuneElliot
05-06-2017, 13:07
Therefore you have traveled to seven brothers and over to Ten Sleep. Another I love is between Story or Big Horn to Lost Lake, then to Sawmill Lakes and back to Sheridan. My point is I made trips off trails and did not meet many individuals during any of my trips so I carried what I thought I needed. These are some of the type of trips I loved to make. I was a teacher/coach and principal in Sheridan for many years.

Yes, I have. I did the Solitude Loop Trail last year and have done multiple forays on both sides of the wilderness. One of my favorite trails is Edelman Pass from FS 17.

RockDoc
05-06-2017, 14:33
There's good hiking in what's now called the Black Elk Wilderness, between Harney Pk and Mt Rushmore. Also, hiking the length of French Creek in Custer State Park has its moments, lots of bison, good fishing, many stream crossings (can have poison ivy and mosquitos).

My old stomping grounds since the 1960's.

lonehiker
05-06-2017, 16:22
In the Bonny and Bonny book, Bighorn Mtn section, they mention a primitive route from Spear Lake to Lake Elsa. If the weather cooperates and I am back from the PCT in time, I would like to do that little bushwack. Would probably tie it into a hybrid Solitude Loop hike.

Ajw210
07-04-2018, 18:10
Looking to do the solitude trail this summer/early fall. Any suggestions for a starting location? I have done the hike to cloud peak in the past. Any useful maps for the area?

DuneElliot
07-04-2018, 19:36
Looking to do the solitude trail this summer/early fall. Any suggestions for a starting location? I have done the hike to cloud peak in the past. Any useful maps for the area?

For the map use the Cloud Peak Wilderness NG Trails Illustrated map. The Solitude Loop is marked on it. The only issue I had was finding the trail from Bighorn Reservoir up and over back to the Coffeen Park/Lake Geneva trail. I started at Coffeen Park and went counter-clockwise. Which worked well as the steeper climbs were on the east side and I didn't do them until closer to the end with a lighter pack.

There are two good starting locations, depending on what kind of vehicle you have. Coffeen Park only a mile of hiking from the loop but required high-clearance to access (4WD may be helpful but I didn't needed it). It is also not the most fun drive. Hunter TH is probably the easiest to access but is 5 miles of hiking to the actual Solitude Loop along an off-road vehicle road...drivable IF you want to beat the hell out of your vehicle only.

Watch the weather. Pretty much every year we have got a big winter storm in early-mid September...got caught in it 1 year on Sept. 11th with 18" of snow.

If you are interested I blogged my trip from 2016:
https://nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com/2016/08/15/backpacking-the-solitude-loop-trail/

DuneElliot
07-04-2018, 19:37

For the map use the Cloud Peak Wilderness NG Trails Illustrated map. The Solitude Loop is marked on it. The only issue I had was finding the trail from Bighorn Reservoir up and over back to the Coffeen Park/Lake Geneva trail. I started at Coffeen Park and went counter-clockwise. Which worked well as the steeper climbs were on the east side and I didn't do them until closer to the end with a lighter pack.

There are two good starting locations, depending on what kind of vehicle you have. Coffeen Park only a mile of hiking from the loop but required high-clearance to access (4WD may be helpful but I didn't needed it). It is also not the most fun drive. Hunter TH is probably the easiest to access but is 5 miles of hiking to the actual Solitude Loop along an off-road vehicle road...drivable IF you want to beat the hell out of your vehicle only.

Watch the weather. Pretty much every year we have got a big winter storm in early-mid September...got caught in it 1 year on Sept. 11th with 18" of snow.

If you are interested I blogged my trip from 2016:
https://nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com/2016/08/15/backpacking-the-solitude-loop-trail/

DuneElliot
07-04-2018, 19:37
Oh, and I will be re-doing it as my last backpacking trip before I return to the UK in early September

lonehiker
07-05-2018, 08:45

I've always started at the Hunter Corrals TH as it puts you on the "original" trail as it was designed. You can follow the road up from the TH a bit without tearing up your vehicle. Simply pull over when you think the road is getting too rough. Dune's description of being 5 miles from the Solitude is based upon the newer maps that have changed the route of the trail.