PDA

View Full Version : mic and wind screen for video recording

Kulliman
05-06-2017, 12:23
I have noticed that the videos that people are posting on YouTube of their hikes often have poor quality audio apparently due to wind. I'm just wondering what people are typically using to record their videos and if any are using wind screen devices to cut down on the wind. What are you using for a mic, what wind screen device do you use if any, and how well does your mic work in normal and windy locations? Are there any relatively inexpensive and lightweight mic systems that produce good quality audio and screen all wind noise?

Francis Sawyer
05-06-2017, 12:57
Because the most important thing about hiking and enjoying nature is high quality video/ audio .

Venchka
05-06-2017, 13:38
Because the most important thing about hiking and enjoying nature is high quality video/ audio .

Who knew? I don't recall Mr. Fletcher mentioning that.
If anyone has a solution, I'm guessing that B&H Audio Video will. You can find them online.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
05-06-2017, 13:41
Here.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/
Wayne

BuckeyeBill
05-06-2017, 15:01
Most trail videos are made using a phone attached to the end of a trekking pole. Others use small point and shoot cameras, still on the end of a trekking pole. Short of carrying heavy video units with a remote mic hook up. I don't know if there is a blue tooth style mic available.

blw2
05-06-2017, 21:51
evan's backpacking video, a channel on youtube, did a vid once on making youtube vids. Pretty sure that's where he mentioned what he uses. It was some sort of microphone I think, with wind screen

-Rush-
05-07-2017, 09:28
I have noticed that the videos that people are posting on YouTube of their hikes often have poor quality audio apparently due to wind. I'm just wondering what people are typically using to record their videos and if any are using wind screen devices to cut down on the wind. What are you using for a mic, what wind screen device do you use if any, and how well does your mic work in normal and windy locations? Are there any relatively inexpensive and lightweight mic systems that produce good quality audio and screen all wind noise?

Most people are using their phones, and from what I've seen, the iPhone is one of the most popular. Often these phones are in cases, which can diminish the audio capture capabilities. Many others use small P&S cameras like the popular Sony RX series. For those, the mic placement can greatly impact the audio capture, and a lot of users buy or create a small tuft of material that makes a great windscreen. If the user is experienced, they will likely position themselves or the camera so the wind noise isn't as much of a factor, but that's highly dependent on location and weather.

This is the best mic that exists for a phone camera. Chris Berry is using one to document his thru-hike of the AZT as we speak.

http://www.shure.com/americas/motiv/mv88

There are some that use larger DSLR type cameras like the popular Canon M3, Canon 7D, and Sony A6000. Those people usually have great setups and don't have problems with wind, audio, or stabilization.

Venchka
05-07-2017, 10:15
I spent about a minute at B&H and found everything you'll need. Fuzzy wind screens are $2-$3.
You can buy seriously good 4K video/still cameras for less than a Z cuben tent.
Wayne

BuckeyeBill
05-07-2017, 11:32
In order to make quality videos, you need to use quality equipment. Shug has some of the best videos for backpackers, hammock hangers, well lets just say if you want to spend time in the great outdoors, watch what Shug has to say. I believe he uses video cameras as opposed to phones or point and shoot digital cameras. The other piece you will need is quality editing software. It will allow you to filter noise at various frequencies making easy to hear what you want. I am not saying the quality videos can't be made with phones or PAS digital cameras, but if I were use these I would try and find a good quality blue tooth mic if they even make them.

Kulliman
05-07-2017, 13:45
thanks, I'' check it out!

Kulliman
05-07-2017, 14:27
Funny, the Zpacks duplex tent is on my wish list along with the Zpacks circuit backpack. Those things aren't cheep, but I suspect you already know that. I already have an iPhone with Lifeproof case, StickPic, and phone clamp, so I will probably be looking for a mic that will work with those items. It looks like some people are filming while wearing ear buds, and the sound seemed decent enough for my purposes, but I don't know if they were using the mic in their ear buds or had some other mic. I was wondering if there are any of those fuzzy wind screens for an ear bud mic. I'm going to also look into the mic that -Rush- posted a link to. I think I'll also look into a remote for the iPhone. I have taken some awesome stills with my iPhone, but not videos. I'm thinking of upgrading to a newer iPhone. I don't think a new camera is in my budget on top of my Zpacks wish list, though.

BuckeyeBill
05-07-2017, 15:15
Try this for your IPhone Polsen (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/983763-REG/polsen_mo_pl1_lavalier_microphone_for_iphone.html) MO-PL1 Lavalier Microphone for Mobile Devices (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/983763-REG/polsen_mo_pl1_lavalier_microphone_for_iphone.html)

TNhiker
05-07-2017, 15:35
Fuzzy wind screens are $2-$3.

or you can use a sock............

seen it done many a time while being in the tapers section of a grateful dead show.....

Venchka
05-07-2017, 15:38
Try this for your IPhone Polsen (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/983763-REG/polsen_mo_pl1_lavalier_microphone_for_iphone.html) MO-PL1 Lavalier Microphone for Mobile Devices (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/983763-REG/polsen_mo_pl1_lavalier_microphone_for_iphone.html)

Wind screens to match. If you look around.
Wayne

BuckeyeBill
05-07-2017, 18:33
If you look real close, it comes with a foam screen.

Uncle Joe
05-07-2017, 19:30
I use a Sony Action AS200V cam due to it's audio pickup capabilities. I am looking for something newer with better video but it's hard to beat Sony's Action Cam series for direct audio pickup.

Uncle Joe
05-07-2017, 19:32
In order to make quality videos, you need to use quality equipment. Shug has some of the best videos for backpackers, hammock hangers, well lets just say if you want to spend time in the great outdoors, watch what Shug has to say. I believe he uses video cameras as opposed to phones or point and shoot digital cameras. The other piece you will need is quality editing software. It will allow you to filter noise at various frequencies making easy to hear what you want. I am not saying the quality videos can't be made with phones or PAS digital cameras, but if I were use these I would try and find a good quality blue tooth mic if they even make them.

Believe it or not Shug uses a point-and-shoot when hiking. I think currently he uses the Canon Elp 110. He used to use the 300 series I believe. They were good but no longer made.

BuckeyeBill
05-08-2017, 09:47
Believe it or not Shug uses a point-and-shoot when hiking. I think currently he uses the Canon Elp 110. He used to use the 300 series I believe. They were good but no longer made.

Interesting I would have thought with the quality it had to be a true video setup. Thanks.

Smithereens
05-09-2017, 01:13
On an Android phone I use Open Camera because it allows you to use a regular Bluetooth headset as audio input for video recording. You can walk 20 feet from the camera and just keep talking without a change in quality. It works great with a decent headset. I use a bobby pin and just clip the mic to my collar with the ear buds dangling inside my shirt, barely noticeable.

And yeah, a bit of foam goes a long way in reducing wind noise.

theinfamousj
05-09-2017, 10:47
I bought the cheapest dead kitten windscreen I could find and some super glue. I also bought a super cheap wired mic headset. Both the super glue and the headset came from Dollar Tree.

I used scissors and cut the earbuds off the headset (don't cut the mic!), then cut bits of dead kitten wind screen and super glued it around the mic.

Bob's your uncle.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

theinfamousj
05-09-2017, 12:25
Note, my previous post is for using my phone to record videos on the trail.

If I use my FauxPro, I go two-system sound and replace the audio in post. My phone's native audio recording app and the same mic previously mentioned are how I record sound.

Also, putting a lav mic under your shirt (and using your shirt as a sort of wind screen) can be helpful in a pinch.

(Can you tell that I have a low-budget YouTube channel?)

TwoSpirits
05-09-2017, 16:24
Just a quick side trail from the OP... Can you point me to a good tutorial for shooting and editing video from my phone? And I mean a tutorial for a complete tech idiot?

Smithereens
05-09-2017, 16:51
Just a quick side trail from the OP... Can you point me to a good tutorial for shooting and editing video from my phone? And I mean a tutorial for a complete tech idiot?

KDEnlive is available for Windows now. I've used it for years and it's pretty good, plenty of tutorials on their website and a bunch of videos on Youtube.

Or are you wanting to edit ON your phone? If so, good luck! Editing can really tax a good desktop and I don't think a phone would have the horsepower to do it.

As a side note, to use a bluetooth mic for audio on a phone, there is another program called BTMono that is required. I can't edit that into my previous post, so here it is.

gbolt
05-09-2017, 20:06
If using an IPhone, then IMovie is the easiest editing software. You Tube is your friend from a fellow tech idiot. Also look into the Lavalier Microphone and while you are at it... The Pedco Ultralight Camera Pod that will work with a phone mount clip. Finally, the Stic Pic for your Trekking Pole.

These items have been used and recommended by last year AT Vloggers that went with an IPhone approach.

I am hoping that practice makes perfect but I am almost ready to bipass vlogging. The bar is to high with Early Riser this year! Lol

TwoSpirits
05-09-2017, 20:34
Very true about ER. Thanks for the info -- I'm going to try to find something similar for an Android.

theinfamousj
05-10-2017, 12:58
AndroVid can be used in a pinch, and I truly mean a pinch. It is little more than Windows Movie Maker, the original one not the one from Windows 7.

For editing on a computer, I use iMovie (I have a Mac) or Hitfilm 4 Express. Hitfilm is free and available on Windows and Mac. I also have Lightworks that can be used portably on a flash drive stuck in whatever machine is handy. It is also free but lacks the compositor of Hitfilm. But if you are only looking to edit video on a phone, you aren't even remotely close to needing a compositor.

Check out VideoEditors on Reddit for some expert hobbyist advice. Reddit.com/r/VideoEditors