PDA

View Full Version : north/south trail

neo
01-27-2006, 21:30
next weekend me and another witeblazer are hiking the north/south trail
at land between the lakes,it is 60 miles long and is located in tn and ky
another whiteblazer that lives in the area is going to shuttle us,this will be a shake down hike
for sneakers,he will hit the AT 3 weeks latter on a thru hike,during this hike
i am going to teach hime as much as i can about ultra light gear and hammock hanging tech,the lady that is shuttling us will
also be starting an AT thru hike in march,small world huh.:cool: neo
http://www.lbl.org/HIMainTrails.html

whiteblaze rules:cool: neo

hammock engineer
01-27-2006, 23:38
Let us know how it goes. I have been thinking about doing a shakedown hike of my own in the land between the lakes.

MisterSweetie
01-28-2006, 00:25
neo, would you care to mention when (specifically) you'll be going? Or more specifically if you'd like to add people to your group... I don't have anyone to go with, and I'm really wanting to get out... I hate inviting myself, but you know... I expect it wouldn't work out for me to go anyway, but if it did and could, that'd be great!

Turtle2
01-28-2006, 13:48
Hi Neo. I'm ready to shuttle you, Sneekers (and anyone else) next weekend. It will be fun meeting you and Sneekers. If anyone else would like to hike the N/S trail an need a shuttle, just PM me. I'll try and accommodate. Happy Hiking!
Mr. Sweetie let me know when you can make a trip this way and if I haven't left for my AT experience, perhaps my schedule will allow me to go along. It is a quiet trail with few interactions with other folk. Mostly on the northern section you may see a couple of mountain bikes but rarely any other hikers.

neo
01-28-2006, 13:51
Hi Neo. I'm ready to shuttle you, Sneekers (and anyone else) next weekend. It will be fun meeting you and Sneekers. If anyone else would like to hike the N/S trail an need a shuttle, just PM me. I'll try and accommodate. Happy Hiking!
Mr. Sweetie let me know when you can make a trip this way and if I haven't left for my AT experience, perhaps my schedule will allow me to go along. It is a quiet trail with few interactions with other folk. Mostly on the northern section you may see a couple of mountain bikes but rarely any other hikers.

thank you so much beth,i am looking forward to meeting you next weekend:cool: neo

neo
01-28-2006, 13:57
neo, would you care to mention when (specifically) you'll be going? Or more specifically if you'd like to add people to your group... I don't have anyone to go with, and I'm really wanting to get out... I hate inviting myself, but you know... I expect it wouldn't work out for me to go anyway, but if it did and could, that'd be great!

give me a call 615-512-6825,we are going to hike next saturday and finish tues,the date of the hike is feb 4th,5th,6th and 7th,the trail is only 60 miles long,but we be hiking about 70 miles total.your welcome to come along
give me a call for details.:cool: neo

neo
01-28-2006, 14:00
Let us know how it goes. I have been thinking about doing a shakedown hike of my own in the land between the lakes.

you can i hike with us if ya want to:cool: neo

hammock engineer
01-29-2006, 01:26
you can i hike with us if ya want to:cool: neo

I would love to, but work always gets in the way. It would be much easier if I did not need to build up a saving before my hike. I might be interested in something in a month or so.

MisterSweetie
01-29-2006, 02:02
Actually my girl just reminded me rather guilt-trippedly that the trip would encompass my birthday, and while one might expect that I get to do what I want to do on my birthday, that's not the case.

Maybe I'll get to go hiking over her birthday....

So thanks neo, but I can't go. Sounds fun, hope you guys have a great trip!

hammock engineer
01-29-2006, 23:56
Hmmm, do I see another hike in the works. Maybe we need to put together a whiteblaze hike sometime.

Gray Blazer
01-30-2006, 08:51
Hmmm, do I see another hike in the works. Maybe we need to put together a whiteblaze hike sometime.

I would like to invite all whiteblazers to come camp with me on Rocky Bald, south of Tellico Gap on March 25-26. I won't be able to go long distances because of my recent knee surgery. You could hike to Wayah and back in one day or NOC and back one day (Or get shuttled ). I will be providing allday breakfast for thru hikers and I could use some help.

The Solemates
01-30-2006, 13:37
this trail is easily done in 2.5-3 days if you want to. my review of it can be found here by scrolling down a little:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7256

happy hiking!

fitz
01-30-2006, 13:56
TRAILS UPDATE
11-18-05:
Due to the tornado damage which occurred on November 15, 2005, the North - South Trail is closed from Road 111 (Pisgah Point) north to Hillman Ferry Campground. The trail is blocked with down and uprooted trees. There are also leaning trees and some with broken tops over the trail. Please avoid this area until further notice. All other trails at LBL are open, including trails at Turkey Bay OHV Area. For more information call 270-924-2000.

I got the above from LBL website. No other udates found. Hope it is now open. have fun

fitz

neo
01-30-2006, 14:06
TRAILS UPDATE
11-18-05:
Due to the tornado damage which occurred on November 15, 2005, the North - South Trail is closed from Road 111 (Pisgah Point) north to Hillman Ferry Campground. The trail is blocked with down and uprooted trees. There are also leaning trees and some with broken tops over the trail. Please avoid this area until further notice. All other trails at LBL are open, including trails at Turkey Bay OHV Area. For more information call 270-924-2000.

I got the above from LBL website. No other udates found. Hope it is now open. have fun

fitz

thanks for the info fitz,i will call them thanks.:cool: neo

Turtle2
01-30-2006, 17:15
Neo, Let me know if I need to go over and check it out!

Turtle2
01-30-2006, 17:20
LBL has created a bypass around the storm damage. Northbounders will find the detour at Rt. 111 and will rejoin the trail just south of Hillman's Ferry. LBL assures me that it is well enough marked.

neo
01-30-2006, 23:01
LBL has created a bypass around the storm damage. Northbounders will find the detour at Rt. 111 and will rejoin the trail just south of Hillman's Ferry. LBL assures me that it is well enough marked.

i called and they bypassed a small strecth on the north end,we are still
good to go,thanks beth:cool: neo

neo
01-31-2006, 10:39
next year i am planning making this an annual event,hiking the north /south trail,i invite any whiteblazers to join,this will be a great shake down hike before your thru hike,plus it will be great meeting other whiteblazers,i am sure i will recieve a lot off redicule from this post because you cant compare a 60 mile trail with thru hiking the AT,but my fellow whiteblazer that is hiking with me feel this hike will be important to him before he hits the AT the end of febuary,turtle2 also a fellow whiteblazer is shuttling us
so i guess this year will be the first of a tradtion i am starting,thanks every body and good luck on your up coming AT thru hikes:cool: neo

Pennsylvania Rose
01-31-2006, 13:10
Maybe I'll join you next year. Ironically, even though I'm in the same state as LBL, I'm farther from it than you, neo. Takes me less time to get to the Smokies.

neo
01-31-2006, 23:30
Maybe I'll join you next year. Ironically, even though I'm in the same state as LBL, I'm farther from it than you, neo. Takes me less time to get to the Smokies.

you must live in eastern ky,cool would love to hike with you:cool: neo

neo
02-01-2006, 14:05
when ever ya finish the north/south trail,just a short drive to grand rivers ky,i highly recommend eating at patti's resturant,famous for thier 2 inch pork chops.:cool: neo

http://www.city-data.com/city/Grand-Rivers-Kentucky.html

http://www.pattis-settlement.com/main.htm

http://www.pattis-settlement.com/restpattis.htm

neo
02-01-2006, 14:51
at the half way point is golden pond visitor center,it also has a real cool planetarium,ya dont want to miss:cool: neo

http://www.lbl.org/PLGate.html

Pennsylvania Rose
02-01-2006, 20:55
you must live in eastern ky,cool would love to hike with you:cool: neo

Berea is along I-75, about 25 miles south of Lexington. It's called "The Gateway to Appalachia" and has an interesting history - it and Berea College were founded as a haven for abolitionists in KY. Now the college is known for its preservation of Appalachian heritage and its high quality, free education.

Anyway, have a great time. I look forward to your trip report.

neo
02-02-2006, 10:04
Berea is along I-75, about 25 miles south of Lexington. It's called "The Gateway to Appalachia" and has an interesting history - it and Berea College were founded as a haven for abolitionists in KY. Now the college is known for its preservation of Appalachian heritage and its high quality, free education.

Anyway, have a great time. I look forward to your trip report.

i will post pictures and trip report next tues when i get home:cool: neo

the goat
02-02-2006, 10:47
i will post pictures and trip report next tues when i get home:cool: neo

have good times, neo!

neo
02-03-2006, 12:25
weather report says we may get some snow on this hike:cool: neo