PDA

View Full Version : Smokies AT Trail Conditions

ncwild
05-07-2017, 07:00
Reports of evacuations at Newfound Gap due to high winds and tree blow downs a few days ago. Surprised to see no posts on this. I would imagine trail conditions going north from there may be pretty bad. Anyone have any further news on this? Thanks.

4eyedbuzzard
05-07-2017, 08:10
This was posted yesterday in another thread https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/124428-Average-Evening-Temperature-Lows-in-May-from-Springer-through-Smokies
Been feeezing in the Smokies the past couple days. 441 opened up today for a few hours, but then closed again due to snow and ice. Most hikers are holed up in Gaitlinburg.

It's too cold for me to hike and no way would I try to camp out up there. I went up to Clingman's earlier today. The snow and wind were brutal. It must have been 30-35 degrees, without windchill. I dont understand how anyone could enjoy that, but hey, everyone is different.

At least two dozen hikers are holed up at Fontana Hilton waiting for it to pass. Thats a 3 day wait, at least. What a bummer.

I think I'm going to head home and try again on June 1st. I take no pleasure hiking in such cold weather. I'm fine dealing with hunger, bad food, fatigue, misquitoes, sun burn, heat, etc... that stuff doesn't really bother me. But the cold does and there is not a gear solution for me. All the warm gear can do is help retain heat my body is producing, but if my body is not producing any heat, then it's all for naught.

Runner2017
05-07-2017, 08:20
Compared to ticks and Lyme Disease pandemic along the AT after June 1st, some bad weather in the Smokies is nothing.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Venchka
05-07-2017, 10:22
Compared to ticks and Lyme Disease pandemic along the AT after June 1st, some bad weather in the Smokies is nothing.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

The tree blowdowns can be fatal faster than the tick born ailments.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4eyedbuzzard
05-07-2017, 12:45
The tree blowdowns can be fatal faster than the tick born ailments.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI got caught in an ice storm in GSMNP many years ago while on a section hike. Holed up in a shelter for two nights. Big (deadly big) branches breaking and falling all over. Finally hiked (mostly slid) out and got into Gatlinburg. Yeah, there are some things worse than ticks - but not many. I hate those suckers.

BuckeyeBill
05-07-2017, 13:30
Shug tells hammock hangers to look up in the tree for "Widow Makers". You can learn a lot by looking up, down and all around before setting up your hammock or tent. To quote SGT Esterhaus from Hill Street Blues: "Let be careful out there."