PDA

View Full Version : What Size Day Packs?

loguon_theguy
05-07-2017, 19:02
I don't really day hike, because any hike not involving corn fields is 3-4 hours away so it's not really worth it. However, I'm going to college in northern minnesota. With all my classes I think hikes of only a few hours are probably gonna be the only thing on the menu, but I need a daypack first. I guess I just never realized the range in size with day packs. I was looking into the Osprey daylite, or maybe the Gregory Miwok in 18 or 24 liter. For winter day hikes I have my REI Flash 45, so I'm just looking for a warmer weather pack that's good for some speed hiking and maybe a bit of trail running. Any suggestions?

ps - I'm broke so some lower budget suggestions (<$100) would certainly be welcome. Thanks :)

bigcranky
05-07-2017, 20:21
There are so many decent technical day packs. I'm a fan of the Osprey Talon packs. Here's the 22 liter version on sale at REI Garage:

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/116322/osprey-talon-22-pack

$75.

Decent suspension (no frame, of course), well thought out features, handles a normal daypack sort of load.

TrappedInsideACube
05-08-2017, 00:06
I prefer vests for running. Normal packs just flop around no matter how much I tighten them.

Maineiac64
05-08-2017, 06:49
If you're broke just use the flash.

JC13
05-08-2017, 08:32
Quiksak 26, 8.9 oz, $66.

http://gossamergear.com/quiksak-739.html

devoidapop
05-08-2017, 09:12
For short and fast day hikes, a small lumbar pack or fuel belt might be a good option. You can spend around $12 at Wal-Mart or up to $60 on a brand name.

DuneElliot
05-08-2017, 09:23
I have a 10L Osprey Raptor bladder pack. It is mostly for the water carry but I can add in a camera, food for the day and light poncho and my phone plus other doodads. I haven't found a need for anything else for a day hike.

DownEaster
05-11-2017, 03:45
Get a pack that will let you carry all your needed books to class/library, and has adequate padding on the back and shoulder straps. A simple (unpadded) waist strap to keep the load from bouncing on your back, and you've got a pack that's also usable for day hikes. You don't need much: just reasonable comfort and capacity.

MikekiM
05-11-2017, 07:04
How about the Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Day Pack?

Under $30 on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Summit-Ultra-Sil-Pack-20-Liter/dp/B006CG2TZU). Super lite. 20L, so plenty for a day hike. Packs down to the size of a baseball. Can double as a book bag for school...

DownEaster
05-12-2017, 02:10
That's what I'd call a bag, not a pack. It's got no padding at all, which means corners of books or whatnot will be poking you, and your shoulders will take a beating. Capacity is good, and weight is excellent -- but it's the sort of thing I'd only use in emergencies when I didn't have an actual day pack. You'd be a fool to put a laptop in such an unpadded bag, for instance.

MikekiM
05-12-2017, 06:41
That's what I'd call a bag, not a pack. It's got no padding at all, which means corners of books or whatnot will be poking you, and your shoulders will take a beating. Capacity is good, and weight is excellent -- but it's the sort of thing I'd only use in emergencies when I didn't have an actual day pack. You'd be a fool to put a laptop in such an unpadded bag, for instance.

...... but I need a daypack first. ....:)

hmmm.. The OP asked for a low budget day pack. S2S calls it the Ultra-Sil Day Pack. It sure looks and is worn like a day pack. Reviews from folks who have used it as a day pack are quit good..

Works for me.

The fact that it can hold a book or three is a bonus for any college student.

TexasBob
05-12-2017, 09:29
Get a pack that will let you carry all your needed books to class/library, and has adequate padding on the back and shoulder straps. A simple (unpadded) waist strap to keep the load from bouncing on your back, and you've got a pack that's also usable for day hikes. You don't need much: just reasonable comfort and capacity.

Just use your book backpack. If you can carry your books etc. around campus in it then it will work fine as a day pack because you won't be carrying as much weight on a day hike as you carry around campus most likely.

plexusbritt
05-12-2017, 10:46
When I was in the college boat, I just used my book bag. It worked fine. I've actually used it for a few forays into the UL overnight world and even then, it holds up pretty great. Just a cheap Targus bag from Wally World if I'm not mistaken.

Time Zone
05-12-2017, 11:17
Just use your book backpack. If you can carry your books etc. around campus in it then it will work fine as a day pack because you won't be carrying as much weight on a day hike as you carry around campus most likely.

+1

Some background:
My kids used LLB Deluxe bookpacks for years. Very sturdy, capable, comfortable. Has a waistbelt, though just a strap, and no frame, so weight transfer is not super efficient. I had a spare one, in fact, that I picked up inexpensively on clearance. Thought that one of them would end up using it, but they never did. So I finally put it into dayhike service.

Some stats:
21 oz, 31.7L capacity. That's 0.66 oz per liter. That's really quite low, if you ever compare weights and capacities of various packs. It's about the same ratio as REI's flash 22L, but this has much more capacity. I see nothing else on REI's site as capacious that has a ratio that low.

Now, it may not work for you. You load it (or any pack) up heavy, it's going to weigh on your shoulders, even with the ersatz hip belt (i.e., strap). If you need tpo carry that much, you probably need a good hip belt and a frame to transfer weight well to your hips - and then you're not in the 0.66 oz/L range.

One exception: the MyTrails 70 pack, which is near 0.50 ... but also heavier (in absolute terms), possibly uses lighter, less durable fabric, and costs much more. On the plus side, it can be compacted to be a less capacious (25L) pack.

Slo-go'en
05-12-2017, 11:33
I use a 13L "Outdoor products" pack from Walmart. It's plenty big for a rain jacket, a sandwich and some water - all you need for a day hike. It's probably big enough to use around campus too. And it doesn't cost very much.

JC13
05-12-2017, 11:48
+1

Some background:
My kids used LLB Deluxe bookpacks for years. Very sturdy, capable, comfortable. Has a waistbelt, though just a strap, and no frame, so weight transfer is not super efficient. I had a spare one, in fact, that I picked up inexpensively on clearance. Thought that one of them would end up using it, but they never did. So I finally put it into dayhike service.

Some stats:
21 oz, 31.7L capacity. That's 0.66 oz per liter. That's really quite low, if you ever compare weights and capacities of various packs. It's about the same ratio as REI's flash 22L, but this has much more capacity. I see nothing else on REI's site as capacious that has a ratio that low.

Now, it may not work for you. You load it (or any pack) up heavy, it's going to weigh on your shoulders, even with the ersatz hip belt (i.e., strap). If you need tpo carry that much, you probably need a good hip belt and a frame to transfer weight well to your hips - and then you're not in the 0.66 oz/L range.

One exception: the MyTrails 70 pack, which is near 0.50 ... but also heavier (in absolute terms), possibly uses lighter, less durable fabric, and costs much more. On the plus side, it can be compacted to be a less capacious (25L) pack.Another exception is the GG Virga II, 19 oz 54 L in a Regular. 0.35 oz/L $105 on Amazon. It compresses smaller as well but I don't know if I would want to carry it as a book bag.

RockDoc
05-12-2017, 11:51
There are day packs that work well for running. But you have to test them before buying. (over 45 ultras completed while wearing daypacks FWIW).

left52side
05-16-2017, 19:47
Quiksak 26, 8.9 oz, $66.

http://gossamergear.com/quiksak-739.html

Green one on the clearance section for 37.00 bucks.
Gonna be hard to beat that.
Or honestly for day hikes you can always go to local wally world and get A pack that will be fine for day hikes.
I use the outdoor products brand packable ultralight bag similar to the sea to summit sil version only it costs 6.99 and has been pretty good for day type hikes.
There are kits of options available out there but honestly I would not overthink it,as mentioned above you can always use your flash.
Enjoy northern minnesota,I went to the UMD there and love the SHT. It is a great trail and lots of cool stuff all around.

gotts63
05-26-2017, 09:53
love osprey packs..

JJ505
10-18-2017, 18:44
I have an Osprey Daylite 13 L. I like it pretty much. Nice pack organization; shoulder straps; color choices; and zippered pocket at the top (also has key fob). I would have liked a mesh pouch in front, if I were to design the pack (funny thing, older versions have one). Mine is 2 years old and nearly looks brand new. Have also taken as a personal item on airplanes. I only use an iPad, and it fits in the hydration pouch. Hate the side mesh pockets. I don't trail run, but maybe this might help someone.

Feral Bill
10-18-2017, 19:15
I don't really day hike, because any hike not involving corn fields is 3-4 hours away so it's not really worth it. However, I'm going to college in northern minnesota. With all my classes I think hikes of only a few hours are probably gonna be the only thing on the menu, but I need a daypack first. I guess I just never realized the range in size with day packs. I was looking into the Osprey daylite, or maybe the Gregory Miwok in 18 or 24 liter. For winter day hikes I have my REI Flash 45, so I'm just looking for a warmer weather pack that's good for some speed hiking and maybe a bit of trail running. Any suggestions?

ps - I'm broke so some lower budget suggestions (<$100) would certainly be welcome. Thanks :)

You will likely need a pack for your school needs, so save some money and pick one that works for that and hiking. There are plenty to choose from at <$100.

DrL
10-18-2017, 22:17
I've been day hiking / walking with a cinch sack. It's refreshingly simple.

https://www.bookstores.umn.edu/viewProduct.cgi?categoryID=5786&productID=35403#.WegKxRNSxE4

and you should be able to find one for free...

Time Zone
10-19-2017, 03:12
I've been day hiking / walking with a cinch sack. It's refreshingly simple.

https://www.bookstores.umn.edu/viewProduct.cgi?categoryID=5786&productID=35403#.WegKxRNSxE4

and you should be able to find one for free...

They are quite decent for carrying power and surprisngly not bad on comfort given the use of cord instead of straps. However, I've found the cheap/free ones to be poor in durability ... like, a handful of uses, then they fall apart. There are ones of apparently higher quality you can buy for about $20 or so.

DrL
10-19-2017, 08:53
They are quite decent for carrying power and surprisngly not bad on comfort given the use of cord instead of straps. However, I've found the cheap/free ones to be poor in durability ... like, a handful of uses, then they fall apart. There are ones of apparently higher quality you can buy for about $20 or so.Hmm, mine have held up. I typically only carry an extra layer (rain coat or synthetic hoodie), snack, FAK, and water.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JJ505
10-19-2017, 19:47

Under $30 on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Summit-Ultra-Sil-Pack-20-Liter/dp/B006CG2TZU). Super lite. 20L, so plenty for a day hike. Packs down to the size of a baseball. Can double as a book bag for school...

I have a cheap bag like this from Amazon. it's an off brand. I put it in my luggage because it packs into it's own pocket. Not much good for most of what I do. I have an Osprey Daylite, but even that is too small for a sleeping bag, change of clothes (minus pants), etc.