PDA

View Full Version : Tahoe Rim Trail Thru Hike Microspike Advice

ams212001
05-07-2017, 19:53
Hey Everyone,

I am planning on Thru Hiking the Tahoe Rim Trail Starting around June 8th of this year. I am looking at the snow report and it looks there is a ton of snow still on the trail. Upwards of ten feet in some areas. Would it be a good Idea to purchase microspikes or will the snow be more manageable in early June? This doesn't have anything to do with snow but should I just suck it up and take a bear canister? I already have a BV500. The regulations say to use bear proof methods and it only seems like the Desolation Wilderness is the only area to specifically require a bear canister. Any other advice about the trail would be much appreciated!

Thank You!

Malto
05-07-2017, 20:09
Absolutely, without a doubt.

Malto
05-07-2017, 20:11
Here is a photo from 2011 in early JULY from the Desolation Wilderness.

ams212001
05-07-2017, 20:24
Welp, the next question is should I highly consider snow shoes instead?

ams212001
05-07-2017, 20:40
Here is a photo from 2011 in early JULY from the Desolation Wilderness.

Venchka
05-07-2017, 20:43

Sure. If further research at start time supports the use of snowshoes.
Or hike in September.
What is an average number of days to hike the TRT?
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogwood
05-07-2017, 21:27
June 8th is early for the TRT in an avg snowfall and snowmelt yr. This yr, unless there's be a recent consistent warm spell with significant melt, you will not largely be hiking the TRT as if it is a single track trail. It will be a snow bush wacking trek which you should have GPS or above avg compass and map navigational skill. The navigation becomes tedious without GPS at least for myself in the open forest with few to none noticeable signs of trail when 3-4 ft or more of snow is covering the trail. In June this yr there likely will be many ft of snow covering the tread. Even with some TRT triangle blazes posted high on trees it was hard to find them because most were still under the snow based on attempting to do exactly as you in mid and late June but in two avg snowfall yrs. I found he TRT blaze color scheme to be hard to find with snow or ice on trees even at lower elevations. This occurred on those two avg snowfall yrs despite starting on the eastern west facing side of Lake Tahoe(border with NV ) which is supposed to generally melt out sooner than the west east facing side(Desolation Wilderness). It will be as Malto's pic.

ams212001
05-07-2017, 21:28
Sure. If further research at start time supports the use of snowshoes.
Or hike in September.
What is an average number of days to hike the TRT?
Wayne

The trail is 165 miles. So about 2 weeks/ish Unfortunately, my friend only has June to hike the trail or else I would consider a later start. The Tahoe Rim Trial is the shorter of the feasible thru hikes that we can do in that time frame without crazy permitting issues.

ams212001
05-07-2017, 21:31
June 8th is early for the TRT in an avg snowfall and snowmelt yr. This yr, unless there's be a recent consistent warm spell with significant melt, you will not largely be hiking the TRT as if it is a single track trail. It will be a snow bush wacking trek which you should have GPS or above avg compass and map navigational skill. The navigation becomes tedious without GPS at least for myself in the open forest with few to none noticeable signs of trail when 3-4 ft or more of snow is covering the trail. In June this yr there likely will be many ft of snow covering the tread. Even with some TRT triangle blazes posted high on trees it was hard to find them because most were still under the snow based on attempting to do exactly as you in mid and late June but in two avg snowfall yrs. I found he TRT blaze color scheme to be hard to find with snow or ice on trees even at lower elevations. This occurred on those two avg snowfall yrs despite starting on the eastern west facing side of Lake Tahoe(border with NV ) which is supposed to generally melt out sooner than the west east facing side(Desolation Wilderness). It will be as Malto's pic.

Well, it may be time for plan B. I just don't know what that is yet. I am not advanced enough for 2-3 weeks of winter navigation.

Dogwood
05-07-2017, 21:32
A bear canister is not required for the TRT. You do HAVE to protect your food from bears through. You can use the counter balancing method and be legal.

Dogwood
05-07-2017, 21:44
I'd betcha a JMT SOBO starting at YV on the second wk of June has less snow than the TRT at that same time. With the JMT option you get the first few days starting the second wk of June with little to no snow allowing more time further south on the JMT to melt some. Your timeframe also fits into prime weather for SOBO Oregon Coast and Cali West Coast Tr treks with stops at Redwood NP/SP units. That might be something to think about since it's nothing like you get in SD... a coastal Redwood and coast and other big tress extravaganza. If time allows do that first and then go to the TRT getting a surf and turf experience.

Venchka
05-07-2017, 22:01
The trail is 165 miles. So about 2 weeks/ish Unfortunately, my friend only has June to hike the trail or else I would consider a later start. The Tahoe Rim Trial is the shorter of the feasible thru hikes that we can do in that time frame without crazy permitting issues.

Think hiking in June 2017.
Find a place where you can hike for the allotted time without fear of crashing and burning due to several feet of snow between you and the trail.
Definitely hike where the permitting ain't!
Good luck and have fun.
Wayne

ams212001
05-07-2017, 22:28
Think hiking in June 2017.
Find a place where you can hike for the allotted time without fear of crashing and burning due to several feet of snow between you and the trail.
Definitely hike where the permitting ain't!
Good luck and have fun.
Wayne

It looks like a change of plans may be in order, but who can really complain about taking weeks off to go hike! thank you for your insight.

ams212001
05-07-2017, 22:29
I'd betcha a JMT SOBO starting at YV on the second wk of June has less snow than the TRT at that same time. With the JMT option you get the first few days starting the second wk of June with little to no snow allowing more time further south on the JMT to melt some. Your timeframe also fits into prime weather for SOBO Oregon Coast and Cali West Coast Tr treks with stops at Redwood NP/SP units. That might be something to think about since it's nothing like you get in SD... a coastal Redwood and coast and other big tress extravaganza. If time allows do that first and then go to the TRT getting a surf and turf experience.

These are really good suggestions. I am going to look into these other options. Just trying to stick the west coast or Southwest at this point.