PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Osprey Atmos 65 AG

mml373
05-08-2017, 14:53
I have the aforementioned backpack, which is plagued by the squeaks/creaks with every step I take. Seems to be coming from the attachment points for the shoulder straps, inside the backpack. Any ideas on how to remedy this? Somehow I doubt I'm the only one who has this noise issue with the pack...

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Maineiac64
05-08-2017, 15:16
I had this pack and it squeeked very badly, very annoying. I read several suggestions about lubricating the frame, which I did a couple of times, but it never helped much. Because of that, its overall weight, and a couple of other annoyances I returned it and went in another direction. There is a thread on reddit where numerous people chimed in having the same experience. On the plus side, if you can't return it osprey is renowned for standing behind their products.

Slo-go'en
05-08-2017, 16:36
On the plus side, if you can't return it osprey is renowned for standing behind their products.

Maybe. A guy I was hiking with last year had his nearly new Osprey blow out and needed to be replaced. Osprey was fine with that, but they wanted him to send the pack back first, then they would repair or replace it. ETA a couple of weeks. Not an option while in the middle of a thru hike. It was like pulling teeth and numerous phone calls to get them to just send a replacement pack. I believe they finally settled for an exchange at a Osprey dealer.

brswan
05-08-2017, 19:03
My Atmos 50 creaks and crunches. I stop noticing it after a while.

To me, it's worth the noise and extra weight for how well it carries.

mml373
05-08-2017, 19:09
My Atmos 50 creaks and crunches. I stop noticing it after a while.

To me, it's worth the noise and extra weight for how well it carries.

Like you, I am not overly concerned with the weight. More concerned with feel, and I've been happy on the trips I've taken with my 65 AG.

You have me thinking I'm way over need with this 65L pack, LOL. :-)

brswan
05-08-2017, 19:19
Like you, I am not overly concerned with the weight. More concerned with feel, and I've been happy on the trips I've taken with my 65 AG.

You have me thinking I'm way over need with this 65L pack, LOL. :-)
I wouldn't worry about it! The 65 has the outside zippers and straps that I'm missing on the 50. You can always pack less but never more.

Wish I had the 65 but I'm pleased with the 50.

If you ever want to downsize I know a guy who will swap you [emoji6]

mml373
05-08-2017, 19:30
I wouldn't worry about it! The 65 has the outside zippers and straps that I'm missing on the 50. You can always pack less but never more.

Wish I had the 65 but I'm pleased with the 50.

If you ever want to downsize I know a guy who will swap you [emoji6]

I moved up from a 50 for this precise reason...and also because I prefer the adjustability of the 65 AG :-) I still have the 50 for shorter hikes.

Venchka
05-08-2017, 19:47
Trade for a ULA Catalyst. No sounds at all. Of course I also own the only silent Xtherm Large in existence.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maineiac64
05-08-2017, 19:50
Maybe. A guy I was hiking with last year had his nearly new Osprey blow out and needed to be replaced. Osprey was fine with that, but they wanted him to send the pack back first, then they would repair or replace it. ETA a couple of weeks. Not an option while in the middle of a thru hike. It was like pulling teeth and numerous phone calls to get them to just send a replacement pack. I believe they finally settled for an exchange at a Osprey dealer.

yes, this seems like a crappy policy, maybe they could charge someone for a new one and refund it when they got the old one back if someone is thru hiking and can provide some back up. I have heard many great stories about legendary osprey support though.

Rolex
05-08-2017, 21:45
Trade for a ULA Catalyst. No sounds at all. Of course I also own the only silent Xtherm Large in existence.
Wayne

Or do like I did. Buy both (Catalyst & Atmos 65AG) then try to decide which one to take every time!

mml373
05-09-2017, 19:45
LOL. I totally understand.

Looking into a ZPacks pack. Time to start paring down the weight and getting ready to really, truly, plan to make this through hike happen.

mml373
05-10-2017, 00:30
Oh, as a followup... I found some info here and elsewhere that says this is a common issue and that silicone spray will likely resolve the issue. Sounds like Osprey has even fixed the issue for folks using this method.

What is silicone spray? Any I should avoid?

Venchka
05-10-2017, 11:02
Oh, as a followup... I found some info here and elsewhere that says this is a common issue and that silicone spray will likely resolve the issue. Sounds like Osprey has even fixed the issue for folks using this method.

What is silicone spray? Any I should avoid?

Hardware and auto parts stores sell silicone spray lubricants. NOT WD-40!!!!
Wayne

mml373
05-10-2017, 21:40
Thanks, Wayne. Ah, East Texas forests...I maintained trails there as a child, with my parents.

As circumstances would have it, the fine folks at Osprey are replacing my pack, free. I'll take advantage of their awesome warranty this time, and look forward to my first outing with the new pack in a couple weeks...

Venchka
05-10-2017, 22:11
You're welcome.
More proof that Osprey's guarantee is better than you might think.
Wayne

mml373
05-11-2017, 00:46
You're welcome.
More proof that Osprey's guarantee is better than you might think.
Wayne

Impressive, indeed. And I'm happy to be sticking with a known quantity that is comfortable and that should provide miles of smiles during upcoming backpacking trips.