PDA

View Full Version : Goretex socks or neoprene/Seal Skin socks

VatoGato
05-08-2017, 20:54
Haven't hiked a lot in snow and was hoping to get some feedback from people who had more experience. From what I've read online there appears to be two main options to keep your feet warm when wet; goretex socks or neoprene. Which socks are more comfortable and useful for light to heavy snow travel in trailrunners? Are there any better options than the two I listed? Or are these socks overkill? Would wool socks suffice in snow with trail runners?

Starchild
05-08-2017, 21:26
I started the AT in snow and 10F morning temps (well after the first week or shorts and tee shirt weather), with gortex low top hiking shoes with gaiters and Darn Tough hiking socks. The socks worked well.

Remember that the worst conditions is 30F and raining, 10F and snowing is much more comfy.

Dogwood
05-08-2017, 23:22
http://www.hanzusa.com/waterproofsocks/

LIGHTWEIGHT WATERPROOF SOCK:CREW-LENGTH
Better than any Gore Tex sock.

Hanz may be are owned by Seal Skinz.

.5 mm NRS socks made for paddling also are fine.

I have Gore Tex Rocky WP socks, Seal Skinz WP socks, NRS neoprene .5 mm, and the Hanz model mentioned. I like the Hanz the best with a good second option being Sealskinz for hiking in coller weather but will also use with a non WP low cut trail runner. Shoe size should be 1/2 to 1 size larger which is good recourse anyhow to allow for expanding feet volume on longer hikes

Dogwood
05-08-2017, 23:29
I say screw the WP shoes for most conditions and go for a stretchy WP sock in the low cut trail runners. In effect you're getting something similar to a WP trail runner protecting your feet from maceration and cold but having a removable WP liner in a sock. It addresses the common poo pooing of WP shoes supposedly taking longer to dry verse a non WP model which in itself is a dubious comparison unless comparing the same brand and model, in the same conditions,with the same set up, in the same size but one WP and the other not.

You should still know how to address maceration pre, during, and post hiking(each night) in case you have to combine the WP sock and still get some maceration.

Deadeye
05-09-2017, 11:51
I had a trip with neoprene socks (sealskinz), they worked well, but after a day or two my feet had such a gawdawful smell that I never used them again. Something was growing in there!

theinfamousj
05-09-2017, 12:29
In my other life, I race dragon boats (a paddle sport) and we train all winter, so I have neoprene socks for that. They have come in handy for a stream crossing in frigid (sub 40F) water for me.

I am of the use-what-you-have camp. I pair them with my camp shoes (croc material) to get me across streams and with tread.

I wouldn't hike long distances in them. Neoprene is designed to gather water near your skin, but keep it warm. It is wet suit, not dry suit. And wet + neoprene's inner net mesh stuff = best exfoliation your foot ever got = bye bye callouses that protect against blisters.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

VatoGato
05-09-2017, 12:55
Thank you everyone for the responses! I'd be using the waterproof socks for the beginning of a southbound thru hike of either the CDT or PCT in July (haven't decided for sure yet which hike I'm going to attempt). So I'd likely be using them for high mile days in a decent amount of snow. From what I'm hearing neoprene socks aren't a great idea. I'll probably go with the Hanz socks @dogwood suggested unless anyone else has options I should consider.

Malto
05-10-2017, 07:45
Thank you everyone for the responses! I'd be using the waterproof socks for the beginning of a southbound thru hike of either the CDT or PCT in July (haven't decided for sure yet which hike I'm going to attempt). So I'd likely be using them for high mile days in a decent amount of snow. From what I'm hearing neoprene socks aren't a great idea. I'll probably go with the Hanz socks @dogwood suggested unless anyone else has options I should consider.
I probably would bother with waterproof anything for a SoBo. Other than some cool mornings you are going to have primarily warm temperatures. I do use waterproof booties in the winter and early spring but wouldn't for your case.

garlic08
05-10-2017, 08:58
My personal choice on a three-season thru hike is simply "Bagtex" (bread bags over the socks inside the shoes), very occasionally and briefly, only in dangerously cold and wet conditions, such as a wet snowfall preceding a deep freeze. It worked like a charm for a spring blizzard in the Smokies on my AT hike. That works on the hands, too, over mitts or gloves. Zero gear cost.

Ditto the warning about maceration.

peakbagger
05-10-2017, 09:52
Read up on trench foot (immersion foot) . If you are using waterproof socks and not giving your feet a chance to dry out everyday, you will get it and once you have it the hikes over. Its an issue with mountaineers and obviously soldiers.

VatoGato
05-11-2017, 02:45
Hi Malto,
Thanks for the reply, my concern is that the first few hundred miles of both the PCT and CDT up north have been known to have significant snow even in July and my concern is getting frostbite. I don't know how reasonable that concern is, I just don't want to chance lose any of my toes. Also people have recorded SOBOing the CDT and being snowed on every month of their hike.

VatoGato
05-11-2017, 02:48
My personal choice on a three-season thru hike is simply "Bagtex" (bread bags over the socks inside the shoes), very occasionally and briefly, only in dangerously cold and wet conditions, such as a wet snowfall preceding a deep freeze. It worked like a charm for a spring blizzard in the Smokies on my AT hike. That works on the hands, too, over mitts or gloves. Zero gear cost.

Ditto the warning about maceration.

That is a great idea. I already had a pair of plastic gloves I was planning on bringing but the bread bags sound like a great idea for the feet!

VatoGato
05-11-2017, 02:52
Read up on trench foot (immersion foot) . If you are using waterproof socks and not giving your feet a chance to dry out everyday, you will get it and once you have it the hikes over. Its an issue with mountaineers and obviously soldiers.

Hi peakbagger,
I met a poor fellow on the AT who got trench foot. Didn't know that still happened to people before hearing about it. I also heard rumors about people who were coming down with scurvy. I don't know how true the second rumor was. As for the trench foot guy, he was sleeping in wet socks which I would never do, sounds miserable. I keep a special pair of dry socks to change into when sleeping.

VatoGato
05-11-2017, 02:55
I'm hearing a lot about maceration. Does anyone have any advice aside from carrying a bunch of spare socks to change into. I usually carry 3 pairs. One for hiking in, one I only wear while sleeping, and the third as a second pair for hiking in while washing/drying the first pair.

Don H
05-11-2017, 06:21
I'm hearing a lot about maceration. Does anyone have any advice aside from carrying a bunch of spare socks to change into. I usually carry 3 pairs. One for hiking in, one I only wear while sleeping, and the third as a second pair for hiking in while washing/drying the first pair.
I carry 3 pairs of socks; one for sleeping, two for hiking. While hiking I switch socks mid day and let the wet ones hang off my pack to dry.

I tried Seal Skinzk while hiking through the Smokys in the snow and they just made my feet wet. Next time I'll carry some plastic bags to put over my socks, it'll probably work better than the Seal Skinz.

garlic08
05-11-2017, 08:48
I agree, no more than three pairs. Later in the hike when it warms up and dries out, try just two and see if it works okay, if you want.

Personally, I find clean and wet is much better than dirty and wet. Hiking all day in muddy socks will ruin my feet in a day, but if I stop and wash them in clean running water every few hours (say every creek ford), I'm okay. If I can let them dry completely overnight, all is well the next day.

BrianLe
05-11-2017, 10:16
I agree with the idea of no sealskinz for hiking. I've tried using them just for really cold creek crossings, but too much weight just for that, and a PITA to put on and take off for each crossing. I would use neoprene socks if I knew that I would be walking for extended periods in cold water; the only time I've ever intentionally done that (known ahead of the trip that I would be doing that) was hiking the Narrows in Zion N.P., but that was just for a couple of days, and you can rent the relevant gear to do that in Zion.

Good wool socks are somewhat magical. Though have a look at the fine print, a lot of seemingly 'wool' socks have a pretty low percentage of wool in them. The synthetic portion of their construction still helps, but for my money I want a lot of wool in a wool sock (no scientific analysis here, just my opinion).

I've used (Rocky brand) goretex socks a fair bit. Don't assume they'll keep you dry through anything, but neither will goretex shoes, and you can take the $%#&@ socks off when not needed for better breathability and faster drying shoes. And of course, turned inside out in the sun, the goretex socks can dry out pretty fast by themselves too.

So when concerned about snow but wearing trail runners, that's my choice: a thin liner sock, a thick high-percentage wool sock over that, and goretex socks sized to comfortably fit over the wool & liner sock combo. My feet are nominally size 10, FWIW I'm most comfortable in a EE width size 11-1/2 trail runner (not really relevant to this conversation though) and what fits for me is a size 12 Rocky brand goretex sock.

Dogwood
05-11-2017, 11:03
Good advice coming from several

Yup, when LD hiking, not just day hiking, I will also carry a second pr of socks 90% of the time a merino wool containing pr., with as Brian le said, a high % of merino. Consider it's usually in cooler conditions I will use WP socks like when traveling on snow w/low cut trail runners and maybe shortie gaiters. I too would not want to do a LD hike for many days only wearing any kind of WP sock. I keep switching out. This helps with the breathability and caring for feet. I find it rather rare to ever need WP socks day after day after day or wk after wk. That can be problematic in the context of LD backpacking. I find this true about the Bag Tex(bread bags) option as well.

Regarding bread bags on ft or hands. In a pinch it works combined with a wool sock for limited duration. It's not without its cons as well as pros though. I know many poo poo breathablity of rain wear(jackets etc). Bread bags are non permeable. They have zero breathability. WP socks like the HANZ mentioned do...as long as they are kept reasonably clean which is another reason why others and myself keep switching out two prs of socks with different traits for different daily conditions! Be careful with the moisture build up on hands and feet with non permeable Bag TEX as employing it can be a foot and hand swelter fest worse than WP permeable rain jackets. This is compounded by the common duct taping of bread bags around the ankles. Think heat athletic "spa - sweat wear" suits wrestlers wear. This is another issue about Bag Tex I never liked having to usually tape up the ankles to get a better seal around the ankle which most WP socks do exceptionally better and to keep the typical Bag Tex from sliding down into to shoe...which I've never experienced with the HANZ crew length socks mentioned. Once this happens you're back to cold wet feet.

Huli
05-12-2017, 15:38
I have worn sealskinz brand socks with sandals in the snow. There were not quite warm enough by themselves but added on top of a pair of Marino they will be my go to for the snow when I male it to the PCT next year.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Huli
05-12-2017, 15:39
Holy typos!! and for some reason tapatalk won't let me edit. Sorry all.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Runner2017
05-12-2017, 16:17
You can use those free lightweight clear thin plastic produce bags at any supermarket. I'd use those instead.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Malto
05-12-2017, 19:18
Hi Malto,
Thanks for the reply, my concern is that the first few hundred miles of both the PCT and CDT up north have been known to have significant snow even in July and my concern is getting frostbite. I don't know how reasonable that concern is, I just don't want to chance lose any of my toes. Also people have recorded SOBOing the CDT and being snowed on every month of their hike.
I thru hiked the PCT in 2011 and only had two days completely snow free after KM. I started in the Sierra with oven bags thinking that I could keep my feet dry and warm especially in the cold mornings. In reality it wasn't needed. Yes, your feet will likely be wet most of Washington but the thought of it is much worse than reality. The days tend to be warm and while I was moving my feet stayed warm. I don't see any chance of frostbite.

Engine
05-12-2017, 21:34
We used Sealskinz in February and March. They worked even better than I had hoped.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk