PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking gear spreadsheet NOT for Excel?

DownEaster
05-09-2017, 03:07
I'm looking for a through-hiker's spreadsheet that's already got item categories filled in, so I can just go in and enter the weights for my convertible hiking pants, & c. Please, no recommendations for anything to do with Excel; I don't have it and don't want it. I can use OpenOffice Calc, or Google docs, or anything else that's free.

I'm not looking for anything fancy; I'm just hoping to save on a bunch of data entry grunt work. I figure this sort of thing has been done by plenty of people already, but so far all I've found is spreadsheets that require Excel.

Deacon
05-09-2017, 05:04
I believe if someone sent you an Excel file, you would have the option to save and open it with one of those other spreadsheet programs.

Wolf - 23000
05-09-2017, 06:38
You could also down load the MS Excel viewer for free. It does what it says, let you view excel documents and it is free.

http://filehippo.com/zh/download_microsoft_excel_viewer/

bigcranky
05-09-2017, 07:04
Yeah, if there is an Excel file that you want to use, upload it to Google Docs and you can use it there.

I use a Google Doc spreadsheet set up something like what you want. It has categories/cells for everything I might ever take, and I just fill in what I am taking on any given trip and it totals up the weight for me. I'm sending you a PM with a link to the file, just open it, and make a copy for yourself (File > Make A Copy and choose your own G-drive to save it.) I'll leave it up for a day or two.

PAHiker
05-09-2017, 07:31
I can use this with Open Office

PAHiker
05-09-2017, 07:34

Put an x in the left column to add that line to your list. Be sure quantities are correct.

Time Zone
05-09-2017, 07:59
Libreoffice (LO) will also read Excel files and you can then save it in ODS format, which will work in LO as well as OpenOffice. You don't have to write your changes back to xls or xlsx.

The only glitch I regularly encounter with MS Office compatibility with OO or LO is when the files are password protected. LO and OO typically can open older MS Office formats with password protection, but when they can't, it's with the more recent file formats. I doubt you'll have this issue.

That said, it shouldn't take you that much time to create your own from scratch. I've done it ... as a checklist for packing for a dayhike or overnight bp trip. It's maybe 75 rows, which sounds long, but I don't take everything (since there are multiple types of packs, bags, cameras, etc., on the list) - I pick and choose what items I need/want for the nature of the hike and expected weather conditions. The checklist helps me to not forget some of the important but small things (like maps, sunrise/sunset info, mosquito net, contact lens stuff).

DownEaster
05-09-2017, 15:15
I believe if someone sent you an Excel file, you would have the option to save and open it with one of those other spreadsheet programs.
The last Excel backpacking sheet I tried that with failed.

Important! You must install the Analysis ToolPak to use this spreadsheet.

I can't use Excel-proprietary stuff in non-Excel programs.

You could also down load the MS Excel viewer for free. It does what it says, let you view excel documents and it is free.
Why would I want a view-only spreadsheet? The whole point is to alter the contents to add my own gear.

CalebJ
05-09-2017, 16:10
Have you looked at Geargrams?

DownEaster
05-09-2017, 19:01
Have you looked at Geargrams?
Never heard of it, but just glancing at it now it seems to require Flash. I've been Flash-free this last year, and have had roughly one-third as many required system reboots compared to the previous year.

gbolt
05-09-2017, 19:32
Some one else shared this Google doc with me so I copied and changed it to include my items, like, BigCranky stated. It has the general items listed first and then you add your specifics next to it; just like you want. I feel it is great for an AT gear list. Feel free to click on the link: http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12C9-MFqNEd8aHcT3tWQhGj-VWyuXKOH2LaV44ecUFuA.

BuckeyeBill
05-09-2017, 19:33
if you send me a PM, I can build you one that will work with Open Office. The one I have for myself list Product Number, Supplier, Description, Color, Size, Weight in ounces, Quantity, Unit Price, Total Price (will automatically calculate price based on Quantity and Unit Price), Total Weight in both ounces and pounds, as well as total price. I set it up when I was ordering all new equipment.

If this is more than you want, let me know just what you need.

PAHiker
05-09-2017, 19:42

Did you try opening this one? I have Open Office at home and can open it fine.

DownEaster
05-09-2017, 21:17
I'll check it out tonight.

DownEaster
05-10-2017, 00:39
Pretty bare bones, but what's there seems OK in OO Calc.

linus72
05-10-2017, 10:18
try lighterpack.com its pretty cool no spreadsheet neccesary

ottercreek_hiker
05-10-2017, 11:30
I use OpenOffice instead of Microsoft Office for all of my documents so here is a link to a Excel spreadsheet that I have downloaded and opened with OpenOffice with no problems. It also has a tutorial video.

http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/2755/backpacking-gear-planner-2/

q-tip
05-10-2017, 11:46
Send me a PM with your email and I will forward extensive xl gearlist.

MikekiM
05-11-2017, 06:58
LIghterPack is my goto.. Though I wish I could reorder the lists. Other than that, it doesn everything I need.

I've tried GearGrams but I can't get into the flow of it.

I have two other excel spread sheets that will open in GooDocs, but the formatting/macros gets scrubbed. They still work, but aren't nearly as pretty. Both were the winners of an online gear list contest.. I think it was on BPL a few years ago.

If anyone wants them, I'll get them out.