PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice - Looking for decent Hiking Pants

WalterB
05-09-2017, 05:16
Hello Everyone.

I'm so glad I found this forum and it is great to be here! So over the past few days I was lurking around and finally decided to register. Hopefully I can get some help here.

Due to the fact I'm from Georgia, I know the AT. So I tend to go on some short term trips, using Springer Mountain as my starting point. But this year I'd like to go on a one month trip to discover more of the path and more of myself. :)

Anyway, my plan is to start this June. I nearly got al my stuff together except some decent hiking pants. I mean I still own a cheap one, which I bought a a few yeas back. But I would like to get a proper one for this trip. So last weekend I did some research and checked out some known trusted shopping as well as fashion sites. And the sheer amount is just overwhelming. I can't really decide which one to pick.

But what I want is a type of hiking pants where I can zip off the legs. In my opinion there quite versatile. But I'm not sure about the material. Mostly it is a mix of nylon/polyester and spandex/elastane. But I would like to have a bit of cotton as well. My budget is about $60 to $80.

So can anybody here recommend a specific model or brand? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Walt.

Doc
05-09-2017, 06:18
For me it's the Cresta hiking pant from L.L.Bean. Not only have these pants been great for me but Bean's is a major supporter of the trail. As always if they prove problematic simply return them.

Leo L.
05-09-2017, 06:26
I'm not American, so I can't recommend any US stuff.
After having used and worn out numerous clothes, I ended up in workers clothes. Less than half the price than stuff from the sports shops, same or better quality, lots of nice features, many designs that "cover being dirty".
Only downside is, its not exactly according to recent fashion. But so far, nature did not complain.

Traveler
05-09-2017, 06:37
You might look at REI or EMS for convertible pants. Lightweight, well inside your budget and fairly good in terms of wear (I have several of these pants and used them for years). Nice thing about these pant is the lower leggings can be removed (usually without having to remove footer) and they turn into shorts when the weather gets hot.

bigcranky
05-09-2017, 07:07
REI Sahara zip off pants. No cotton, all nylon. Light weight, and very fast drying. I have a pair of the zip-offs and three pairs of the cargo pants (no zips). Love 'em.

Time Zone
05-09-2017, 07:30
After having used and worn out numerous clothes, I ended up in workers clothes. Less than half the price than stuff from the sports shops, same or better quality, lots of nice features, many designs that "cover being dirty".
Only downside is, its not exactly according to recent fashion. But so far, nature did not complain.

I'll second this recommendation. My hiking pants are Dickies work pants. Mine are the traditional basic pant, 65% polyester, 35% cotton (OP requested some cotton), very hard to wear out (I'm trying!), dries quickly, deep pockets (a feature - not a requirement! ha ha). Although they don't zip-off to become shorts (another OP pref), I have found that not only did I almost never zip off the lower legs of convertible pants when I owned a pair (hassle - had to remove shoes too), I didn't like them as much as long pants when the bottoms weren't zipped off, because of the zip seam rubbing against my leg as I walked. YMMV. IMO it's better to carry a pair of lightweight running shorts for when shorts are needed/wanted.

Good luck and have fun -

hikermiker
05-09-2017, 07:40
I use nylon wind pants and shorts. These are much lighter than zip offs. I find that Walmart's $5 swim shorts work well for me.

TwoSpirits
05-09-2017, 07:51
I would recommend looking at a pair of Kühl pants -- their "Liberator" convertable pants. They are 77% nylon, 23% cotton. I bought a pair at REI on a whim, and thought I'd made a mistake. I didn't. These have turned into my primary hiking pants. Tough as nails, and the dry out very quickly. Caveats: they are a little warm in summer, and the "cargo" pockets are positioned on the front thigh -- really only good for maps or a guidebook, etc. But these things I have easily overlooked. These are good hiking pants.

Venchka
05-09-2017, 08:27
WalterB,
Until you know what you really like, want or need, these will work. They might even work long term. For $25 it's hard to go wrong.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/dakota-grizzly-convertible-pants-for-men~p~4318c/?filterString=mens-hiking-and-travel-pants~d~357%2F#specsSection
or
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/dakota-grizzly-belted-cargo-pants-convertible-for-men~p~2450t/?filterString=mens-hiking-and-travel-pants~d~357%2F
Pay attention to the inseam length. Too long is never good.
I've been doing business with Sierra Trading Post since forever. They are good people.
Good luck.
Wayne

Runner2017
05-09-2017, 08:33
read this: http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/clothing-mens/best-hiking-pants

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

sfdoc
05-09-2017, 08:51
Look at RailRiders, especially their ones treated with Insect Shield. Section Hiker has a review of the Eco Mesh model. They are pricy but well made.

tflaris
05-09-2017, 08:55
REI Sahara zip off pants. No cotton, all nylon. Light weight, and very fast drying. I have a pair of the zip-offs and three pairs of the cargo pants (no zips). Love 'em.

Ditto. Or the Columbia Zip Offs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuckeyeBill
05-09-2017, 10:03
I have been using REI Sahara zip off pants for years now. They are well constructed and dry quickly.

Venchka
05-09-2017, 10:24
I own 4 pairs of zip off pants, 2 Columbia and 1 each Mountain Hardware and LL Bean.
I've never used the zippers.
That doesn't make me a bad person.
Wayne

Puddlefish
05-09-2017, 10:38
I have too many pairs of the fancy name brand pants. They're all fine. The pair I use the most are a pair of relatively cheap White Sierra. Lightest, most breathable, quickest drying, most resistant to chafing.

https://www.amazon.com/White-Sierra-32-Inch-Inseam-Convertible/dp/B005H845XI/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1494340511&sr=1-1&keywords=white+sierra+convertible+pants

GoldenBear
05-09-2017, 10:43
Like you, my early choice for hiking pants was nylon convertible. After a couple of hikes, I found (1) I almost never wore them long, (2) removing the long part required taking off my boots, causing me use up a good ten minutes of time to just unzip the pants, and (3) I never felt comfortable wearing nylon. So I started wearing nylon shorts, at which point I found (1) my legs got attacked by insects, (2) I still didn't feel comfortable in nylon, and (3) my pants didn't last long. I solved (1) by wearing knee-length socks with permethrin & DEET. I solved (2) by wearing cotton. I solved (3) by wearing work shorts from Duluth Trading Co.
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-pants/mens-work-shorts/shorts-for-men.aspx
The pants are heavy cotton, so they are NOT good for wet environments. But they are comfortable and seem almost bullet-proof.

I won't say this approach for everyone, or even anyone but myself. But at least consider it.

Bansko
05-09-2017, 13:29
Prana Zion Stretch. Nothing better. Took me 2200 miles.

jj dont play
05-09-2017, 13:37
X2 on Prana. The zip offs are great, most comfortable pants I own. Check backcountry/steepandcheap

Adding my 2cents... with the time of your trip, why pants? Short shorts is the way to go, waaaay more comfortable. And not to mention way lighter. I didn't carry pants on my thru after the Smokies

Venchka
05-09-2017, 13:58
REI makes convertible pants with a vertical zipper and they're removable over boots and shoes.
Wayne

wayside_mn
05-09-2017, 14:19
Prana Zion Stretch. Nothing better. Took me 2200 miles.

I wear Zions every day! I even have a pair of Zion shorts.

DownEaster
05-09-2017, 14:45
For me it's the Cresta hiking pant from L.L.Bean. Not only have these pants been great for me but Bean's is a major supporter of the trail. As always if they prove problematic simply return them.
I've got the same pants, and I really like them. Usually things from L.L. Bean are pricey (at the top of your price range), but right now if you're not picky about the color you can take advantage of a sale: link (https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/83416?page=cresta-hiking-pants-zip-off).

Bansko
05-09-2017, 14:57
I wear Zions every day! I even have a pair of Zion shorts.

I still wear the pair that took me the distance on a regular basis. You can't kill 'em, and they make great travel pants when off trail.

Don H
05-09-2017, 15:00
I have several pairs of North Face Paramount Convertible pants.

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-paramount-trail-convertible-pants-nf0a2wla

Over the years, after many miles I had to send two pairs back because the fly zipper failed. each time NF repaired and returned them for no charge.
They have a lifetime warranty that they honor.

Femadog
05-09-2017, 15:43
I will give a +1 on the White Sierra pants on Amazon. I just got off the AT from a section hike last week and they were perfect from a 90 degree high humidity day (man was that hot) down to the 40s and windy.

I have a pair of Exofficios zip offs that just didn't fit right (nice pant though) The White Sierra have a very handy cell phone pocket on the right side that holds my S7 with a protector case. Easy to get out when I wanted to take pictures or shoot video. Dry quick, zip off legs have Right/Left on zippers.

Only weak point I saw was same as any pant with a sewn on waist button. I removed it and replaced with a metal button you can get at Walmart for a couple $. Just poke the pointed back piece through the waist where the old button was and press the new metal button on. I do that to any pant I have with a sewn on button. YMMV

RockDoc
05-09-2017, 16:47
No cheap stuff for me, I go Fjallraven all the way and never look back. Europeans know what I mean.

Occasionally available on eBay, Steep and Cheap, or Sierra Trading Post for under $100, worth every cent at any price IMO.

dudeman_atl
05-09-2017, 17:00
Love my REI long pants as well as the shorts. Don't have the convertible ones from REI, but my reality with my BSA uniform pants is i usually don't convert in three field long too short our vice versa

devoidapop
05-09-2017, 17:46
No cheap stuff for me, I go Fjallraven all the way and never look back. Europeans know what I mean.

Occasionally available on eBay, Steep and Cheap, or Sierra Trading Post for under $100, worth every cent at any price IMO.
Steep and Cheap has a bunch of Fjallraven on sale right now

gbolt
05-09-2017, 19:54
If I were ranking Convertable pants - here it is:
1. Prana Zion (but ouch, they cost$$$)
2. Columbia Silver Ridge (my number one choice for cost and weight)
3. Kuhl but the cotton does add weight and slows drying so mainly a summer time comfort item or general hiking vs. thru hikin.
4. I Like the REI Sahara but don't know why I won't try them and keep settling on the Columbia Pants.

I currently use Columbia Aruba III's but they are no longer available. :(

Huntmog
05-09-2017, 21:23
Prana Zion Stretch (non convertible) all day. The most comfortable pair of pants I own...i may even wear them to the office on casual days...

I thought it'd be 5000 votes for them here

TexasBob
05-09-2017, 23:05
1 + on White Sierra pants. Good quality for the price, better than the REI brand pants in fit and workmanship.

Patriot76
05-09-2017, 23:39
After many years of experimentation my choice is nylon shorts, silk long underwear, and rain pants to provide versatility during the day and at night. In cooler weather I like Duluth Trading Companies fire hose pants because they are water resistant and tough as nails. They are a relaxed fit with deep cargo pockets.

ScareBear
05-10-2017, 05:58
My go-to trail pants are Craghopper zip-off pro-stretch. Can't find these in the US anymore, but they still sell them in UK. Super comfortable, great pockets. Glad I bought a spare pair when they were on sale at STP. Not sure when I will need them as the original pair has 400 miles on them and look like new with no wear issues whatsoever...

I second the rec's on the REI Sahara zip-offs. Mine fit quite well, but the waistband isn't as comfortable as the Craghoppers...YMMV...

Bansko
05-10-2017, 07:53
Whatever pants you choose, I find convertibles to be not useful on a long hike. For the same weight I carried (or wore) a pair of non-convertible Prana Stretch Zions and an ultralight pair of Brooks running shorts. The combination was much more versatile than a pair of convertibles. Think laundry day. I ditched my rain pants at Harper's Ferry and had to wear something while doing laundry.

Venchka
05-10-2017, 10:00
Hello Everyone.

I'm so glad I found this forum and it is great to be here! So over the past few days I was lurking around and finally decided to register. Hopefully I can get some help here.

Due to the fact I'm from Georgia, I know the AT. So I tend to go on some short term trips, using Springer Mountain as my starting point. But this year I'd like to go on a one month trip to discover more of the path and more of myself. :)

Anyway, my plan is to start this June. I nearly got al my stuff together except some decent hiking pants. I mean I still own a cheap one, which I bought a a few yeas back. But I would like to get a proper one for this trip. So last weekend I did some research and checked out some known trusted shopping as well as fashion sites. And the sheer amount is just overwhelming. I can't really decide which one to pick.

But what I want is a type of hiking pants where I can zip off the legs. In my opinion there quite versatile. But I'm not sure about the material. Mostly it is a mix of nylon/polyester and spandex/elastane. But I would like to have a bit of cotton as well. My budget is about $60 to $80.

So can anybody here recommend a specific model or brand? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Walt.
If you were confused coming in here, you must be bamboozled totally by now.
Keep it simple. Keep it cheap. You're just looking for a pair of synthetic fabric, loose fitting pants. You won't buy the perfect pants on your first try. Save your funds for the critical gear. Sleeping system, shelter, backpack.
Have fun in thrift store clothing.
Wayne

WalterB
05-11-2017, 03:49
Thanks for all these recommendations. I'll check them out.

Runner2017
05-11-2017, 13:25
Prana stretch zion pants can be little too hot for warm climate. They're great for cool climate tho. Costco has carried a knock off version of that for $20 in the past which is better for hiking in warm climate.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Patrickjd9
05-11-2017, 15:03
Whatever pants you choose, I find convertibles to be not useful on a long hike. For the same weight I carried (or wore) a pair of non-convertible Prana Stretch Zions and an ultralight pair of Brooks running shorts.
I wore convertible pants for years but have gotten disenchanted with them lately. I'm between 30 and 32 inch inseam, and the style is really unforgiving of being too long--and I hate pants that are too short.

I bought a pair of REI Screeline pants I like enough for street wear, and a lighter pair of Marmot Arch Rock pants that did fine in their first hike. Still looking for a pair of lightweight shorts to go with them.

RockDoc
05-11-2017, 17:48
FWIW I remember more than once passing leg sleeves from convertible pants spread out on bushes along the AT. Clearly the owners put them out to dry, then forgot about them and hiked on... only to discover a major inconvenience some hours later. I've almost done it myself a few times. So I'm a bit disenchanted with them too.

WalterB
05-12-2017, 01:51
Hello Everyone.

Anyway, my plan is to start this June. I nearly got all my stuff together except some decent hiking pants. I mean I still own a cheap one, which I bought a a few yeas back. But I would like to get a proper one for this trip. So last weekend I did some research and checked out some known trusted shopping as well as fashion sites like https://www.easyprices.com/fashion/hiking-pants (https://www.easyprices.com/fashion/hunting-vest-price?utm_source=Forum&utm_medium=Link&utm_campaign=Product&utm_term=hunting-vest-price&utm_content=onyourownadventures). And the sheer amount is just overwhelming. I can't really decide which one to pick.

Walt.

Thanks to everybody contributing to this thread. I finally decided on the REI. It fit's within my budget and it overall head good reviews. Wish you all a great weekend.

WalterB
05-12-2017, 01:52
FWIW I remember more than once passing leg sleeves from convertible pants spread out on bushes along the AT. Clearly the owners put them out to dry, then forgot about them and hiked on... only to discover a major inconvenience some hours later. I've almost done it myself a few times. So I'm a bit disenchanted with them too.

Good to know. I will keep it in mind! :)

MikekiM
05-12-2017, 14:41
I've tried many convertible pants.. Columbia, Prana, Eddie Bauer.. I recently picked up a pair of Kuhl Renegade convertibles at REI (https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/122623/kuhl-renegade-convertible-pants-mens-30-inseam?CAWELAID=120217890003916719&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=16061555200&CATCI=aud-153254652760:pla-340075196844&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|404_63584|1226230012|none|cf2bcf 14-955d-4413-a646-52c58ff1a35b|aud-153254652760:pla-340075196844&lsft=cm_mmc:PLA_Google_LIA|404_63584|1226230012|no ne|cf2bcf14-955d-4413-a646-52c58ff1a35b|aud-153254652760:pla-340075196844&gclid=CNXE35GA69MCFQdMDQod97MIog)and all other pants have been relegated to the back of the closet. I love these. Soft, quick drying stretch material of 88% nylon / 12% spandex. tons of pockets. hidden zippers at the leg joints and ankles. A really great pair of pants.