PDA

View Full Version : What is the toughest part for you about planning a backpacking trip?

DuneElliot
05-09-2017, 12:03
Saw this on another forum and I thought it would be interesting to ask here. I'm sure it's been asked before but things and people change:

From the time you decide you want to plan a backpacking trip, to the time you actually make it to the trail head, what is the hardest part for you?

For me it is the waiting. I am 9 days out from my first trip of the season. Food is ready, clothing is ready, gear is organized and tested. I just need to pack my pack. But I am seriously impatient because I'm really looking forward to finally getting out there this year, and I already know that patience is not one of my better qualities.

So what is it for you?

gracebowen
05-09-2017, 12:05
Worrying about my family and if the bills will get paid while I am gone.

saltysack
05-09-2017, 12:34
Getting permission from the wife......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gambit McCrae
05-09-2017, 12:38
I tend to plan my mileage so tight that I worry about getting it completed. I am a worry wart, so anything and everything. But then I arrive, and its just walking. and I either walk the distance I challenged myself to, or I don't.

Pet Sitting

How much Whiskey to take

Travel Logistics - plane, sitting in traffic, missing connecting flights

Health - Not getting sick while on the trip or the days before the trip

Trail Social time - Will I get bored

Slo-go'en
05-09-2017, 12:44
Planning isn't tough. Unless maybe it's your first trip. Deciding on what clothing to bring is probably the toughest part.

For me the toughest part of a hiking trip is getting there. I refuse to fly the unfriendly skies, so getting to a trail head usually involves one or two overnights on a train or bus or both, resulting in being sleep deprived and starting the hike as a zombie. As I get older, this is really starting to become a problem.

1azarus
05-09-2017, 12:46
figuring out how to get back to my car at the end of a hike.

Dogwood
05-09-2017, 12:53
What is the toughest part for you about planning a backpacking trip?Color coordinating trail runners, DG gaiters, and tights. :D

nascarmikeb
05-09-2017, 12:58
I tend to plan my mileage so tight that I worry about getting it completed.
I agree, worrying about my mileage/day and figuring out the clothes to bring. I don't want to be underprepared, but I don't want to bring the entire wardrobe.

saltysack
05-09-2017, 13:12
I tend to plan my mileage so tight that I worry about getting it completed. I am a worry wart, so anything and everything. But then I arrive, and its just walking. and I either walk the distance I challenged myself to, or I don't.

Exactly......

Dogwood
05-09-2017, 13:14
It depends on the hike. For a CDT SOBO with a seeming endless number of alternate routes getting the route down and the logistics(food days, supplements, maps). It really was not the length. It also depends on where you're at in your planning experience.

You're in a good place to develop patience...hiking in Nature. Enjoy the journey without obsessing on ultimate destination. Slow down. Think before speaking. Abstain from social media as it promotes impatience. Chunk things down and not just the hike but all goals and processes even the lead up time before heading out to hike. Don't act in ignorance taking things for granted. Go through a day writing in a journal something different to appreciate each hr.

PatmanTN
05-09-2017, 13:50
Deciding where to go is my main challenge. I do a short trip (usually two day two night) almost every weekend and if it's within a reasonable drive from my house and hike-able, I've done it and likely much more than once. I live about an hour to 1.5 hours from the primary GSMNP entrances and so I go there a lot. A lot. And because it's so fun and accessible I've done the AT across the Smokies at least 17 times now as a section and pieces of it many more times than that while on other routes.

3.5 hours is my maximum drive time for a weekend hike. I guess I need to change strategies or move if I want to keep seeing new places.

PatmanTN
05-09-2017, 13:55
I would go nuts waiting till May to hit the first trip! Kudos to you for being so patient.

Alligator
05-09-2017, 14:02
Getting that magic hiking window to line up with family, work, and household responsibilities.

JC13
05-09-2017, 14:03
Calling/emailing for shuttle rates is the toughest part for me. Lots of options and it seems no one lists a general price per mile.

Puddlefish
05-09-2017, 14:10
Arranging pet care.

4eyedbuzzard
05-09-2017, 14:13
Getting that magic hiking window to line up with family, work, and household responsibilities.
Ditto. Even though the kids are grown and on their own, there's still work, property, and dogs (like kids - that like to lick your face). Then it's a 4 hour drive to the nearest good hiking from DFW.

DownEaster
05-09-2017, 14:35
Getting my phone set up with everything for 5-6 months. There's entertainment (e-books, music, audio books) to load on there. There are all the links to things I'll need to keep on top of (e-mail, electronic banking, recurring bills, vendor contact info for sudden gear needs, & c.). I'll need to download maps all along the AT and store them on the phone for GPS use without local data service. It seems I'll need a couple dozen apps to do all the things on my phone that I can normally do in a browser on my desktop. Managing all the photos and videos I'll take along the trek will involve some planning. (How many memory cards will I need? Where's the best place to upload them to? What photo and video editing apps will I need?)

evyck da fleet
05-09-2017, 14:51
Booking the flights, hotels/hostels and transportation at the beginning and end. Once I've locked in the dates and allowed room for the unexpected, the rest becomes easy.

Ashepabst
05-09-2017, 16:27
Deciding where to go is my main challenge. I do a short trip (usually two day two night) almost every weekend and if it's within a reasonable drive from my house and hike-able, I've done it and likely much more than once. I live about an hour to 1.5 hours from the primary GSMNP entrances and so I go there a lot. A lot. And because it's so fun and accessible I've done the AT across the Smokies at least 17 times now as a section and pieces of it many more times than that while on other routes.

3.5 hours is my maximum drive time for a weekend hike. I guess I need to change strategies or move if I want to keep seeing new places.

I'll second that notion. 99% of my trips are one or two nighters, so I don't get a lot of wiggle room and drivetime is key. i'll often perseverate on the destination up until the day of, especially if the weather is iffy.

TX Aggie
05-09-2017, 16:39
What's the hardest part?

Easy: trying to schedule time for the hike in the first place while still juggling work, yard work, general house work, kids' activities (dance, field hockey, horses, etc) and, most importantly, the Honey-Do List.

Studlintsean
05-09-2017, 18:05
Leaving my 11 year old dog I have had since 10 weeks old who can't hike more than 3 miles a day. I am planning a week in the Sierra Nevada this year but besides that I unfortunately haven't been out much more than a night or two at a time. I recently got a motorcycle to help get "time away" after day hikes with the pup.

bayview
05-09-2017, 18:51
Which items to bring. I stess over bring this stove or that, these clothes or those, this hammock or that one. Once the trip starts, it does not matter as I make do with whatever I have.

Hosh
05-09-2017, 23:31
Getting permission from the wife......

Ah, the elusive "kitchen pass". "Best to act on instinct first and as for forgiveness later" .... Tiger Woods.

Patriot76
05-10-2017, 00:10
Finalizing my gear and food is my biggest challenge. I have been known to stop at a grocery store and trade out my whole menu on the way to the hike. I usually also have multiple pieces of equipment in my vehicle that I do not pack until I reach the trail head. This includes several backpacks and sleeping systems. The only consistent item is the dog packs because they haul their own food and paw covers.

FooFooCuddlyPoops
05-10-2017, 01:56
For me, I hate the anxiety build up of a big hike. You fret over paying bills, time off, pets, etc. Then when you get to the hike, you fret over if you planned the mileage too big, too small, how high are these mountains vs the others you have climbed, etc etc.

Leo L.
05-10-2017, 05:35
I love all the preparations for an upcoming trip, the planning, the maps search, the pondering what stuff to take and what to leave.
Really tough is, that clients seem to notice I'm leaving and try to squeeze in another contract. Although being half-retired now, I still have the old habit of every self-emplyed, to never say "No" to a new contract.

While it was not the original question:
The hardest part of a desert trip for me is, to come back into civilisation. The noise, the rush - for some hours I'm like a shy wild animal.

saltysack
05-10-2017, 07:45
Ah, the elusive "kitchen pass". "Best to act on instinct first and as for forgiveness later" .... Tiger Woods.

[emoji23]I assume I'll see Tiger Friday at the TPC......I'll have to ask him!! Old lady not going to be happy when I tell her I'll be gone 24 days on CT! Waiting for that perfect time to drop the bomb...

Venchka
05-10-2017, 10:03
[emoji23]I assume I'll see Tiger Friday at the TPC......I'll have to ask him!! Old lady not going to be happy when I tell her I'll be gone 24 days on CT! Waiting for that perfect time to drop the bomb...

You could tell her on the phone from the Denver airport.
Wayne

saltysack
05-10-2017, 10:10
You could tell her on the phone from the Denver airport.
Wayne

[emoji3]better yet a text!

Venchka
05-10-2017, 10:52
You're bad. If you do that you may as well start a CDT thru.
My toughest part?
Worrying that my old tired body can't keep up with brutal pace of the leader of the expedition. [emoji106][emoji1][emoji41]
And trying to decide where to go in addition to The Expedition.
Wayne

Riocielo
05-10-2017, 11:07
figuring out how to get back to my car at the end of a hike.
Me, too.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

BuckeyeBill
05-10-2017, 11:22
The toughest part for me is coordinating flights, shuttles, hotel, hostel or motel before setting off. My gear is dialed in and after checking weather and trail conditions, I know what to pack for the start of my trip. One other thing I do well in advance of setting off is the check condition of every piece of gear. Clothes get examined inside and out looking for failing stitches and small rips that need repair. Anything that I find that can't be repair or fixed, I replace. Never wait until the last few days to check or wait until you are on the trail and have a major equipment failure. Prior planning prevents pi** poor performance.

Francis Sawyer
05-10-2017, 11:32
Getting my phone set up with everything for 5-6 months. There's entertainment (e-books, music, audio books) to load on there. There are all the links to things I'll need to keep on top of (e-mail, electronic banking, recurring bills, vendor contact info for sudden gear needs, & c.). I'll need to download maps all along the AT and store them on the phone for GPS use without local data service. It seems I'll need a couple dozen apps to do all the things on my phone that I can normally do in a browser on my desktop. Managing all the photos and videos I'll take along the trek will involve some planning. (How many memory cards will I need? Where's the best place to upload them to? What photo and video editing apps will I need?)
You could just leave the phone at home. Folks been walking long distances since the dawn of time and only in the last 20 yrs has the phone become a problem .

jcreamer
05-10-2017, 12:26
One word - TIME.

The Solemates
05-10-2017, 12:39
finding a weekend when something else isnt already planned

The Solemates
05-10-2017, 12:40
finding a weekend when something else isnt already planned

case in point - we have 8 baseball games just this week

Tipi Walter
05-10-2017, 13:04
IT'S ONE PERPETUAL TRIP
** Bookmarking interesting online subjects and printing them out for the next trip---to read and burn.
** Dehydrating ample food for a 15 to 21 day trip---time consuming.
** Keeping the usual gear check-list inside my head---correlating with the fact that everything has a place inside my pack---so in effect the presence of my pack dictates what goes in it and what goes where.

** Washing last month's clothing.
** Coming up with a decent TRIP GOAL whereby I either explore a new route or form a Quest to reach a certain objective---in addition leaving a detailed daily camp/trail schedule with the significant others.

** Casual gear inspection---tent poles, tent fly, zippers, trail tools, stakes, boots, water filter cartridge---and replacing stuff BEFORE it breaks. This could be called Precautionary Maintenance.

Longboysfan
05-10-2017, 13:08
Trying to explain to people - when I go solo - there are other people out there on the trail. :rolleyes:

Tipi Walter
05-10-2017, 13:13
Trying to explain to people - when I go solo - there are other people out there on the trail. :rolleyes:

MAYBE . . . . Many of my solo trips are solitary. Pulled a 24 day trip once and went 23 days without seeing a human. Pulled a recent 19 day January trip and didn't see anyone.

plexusbritt
05-10-2017, 15:04
Getting off work, arranging livestock care (small farm), and shuttle back to my car.

DownEaster
05-10-2017, 15:06
You could just leave the phone at home. Folks been walking long distances since the dawn of time and only in the last 20 yrs has the phone become a problem .
The phone is actually the key to saving a lot of weight. I used to carry maps and guide books (now digital on the phone), camera gear, and a paperback or two to read. These days it's great that so much functionality packs into a single device. So much functionality also means that one device becomes the toughest part of the prep, instead of prepping camera gear, guidebooks, maps, and entertainment all separately.

DuneElliot
05-10-2017, 15:44
You're bad. If you do that you may as well start a CDT thru.
My toughest part?
Worrying that my old tired body can't keep up with brutal pace of the leader of the expedition. [emoji106][emoji1][emoji41]
And trying to decide where to go in addition to The Expedition.
Wayne

Yup, I'll be bringing my cattle prod and I know how to use it!!! :eek:

Where else are you thinking about?

Mags
05-10-2017, 16:00

Yes.

To quote a book I've quoted before... (http://www.pmags.com/words-of-wisdom-from-1877)

“Be independent, but not impudent. See all you can, and make the most of your time; “time is money;” and, when you grow older, you may find it even more difficult to command time than money.”

nascarmikeb
05-10-2017, 16:50
For me, I hate the anxiety build up of a big hike. You fret over paying bills, time off, pets, etc. Then when you get to the hike, you fret over if you planned the mileage too big, too small, how high are these mountains vs the others you have climbed, etc etc.

...EXACTLY what #25 said!!!!!!...... I'm experiencing this right now as I leave for my first section hike from New Found Gap to Hot springs in 1 week.

Venchka
05-10-2017, 17:02
Yup, I'll be bringing my cattle prod and I know how to use it!!! :eek:

Where else are you thinking about?

I'm thinking Colorado. Meeting a friend probably in the Weminuche.
Wayne

JumpMaster Blaster
05-11-2017, 00:12
My biggest hurdle is choosing an easily accessible infil and exfil trailhead. Many are anywhere between 3.75 & 6 hours away from where I live, so planning park/start/stop/shuttle points is critical. The other hard part is having to plan my stops. If I'm on a tight 2-3 day timeline 4 hours away, I can't just "wing it" and say "oh well, I'll just pitch a tent wherever an hour before sunset"--I like to know that I'll have a spot somewhere and not relying on trying to find a flat spot on a knife edge ridgeline.

When I was in the military and had 30 days paid vacay every year, I could afford a little (A LOT OF) wiggle room, but now? Trips need to be planned to a "T" as much as possible with specified bailout points.

I guess it boils down to hiking being a mini-military operation after all. Old habits and such...

LittleRock
05-11-2017, 08:38
From the time you decide you want to plan a backpacking trip, to the time you actually make it to the trail head, what is the hardest part for you?
Waiting my departure date to finally arrive

DuneElliot
05-11-2017, 09:11
Waiting my departure date to finally arrive

Yup. I have a week left. I love Wyoming but not having backpacking year round is kinda sucky

Ashepabst
05-11-2017, 11:22
Yup. I have a week left. I love Wyoming but not having backpacking year round is kinda sucky

you should winter in Tennessee --it's the best time to backpack around here

DuneElliot
05-11-2017, 12:01
you should winter in Tennessee --it's the best time to backpack around here
I'm actually starting to snowbird this year and moving into my RV full-time, just so I can avoid winters and backpack year round.

Nodust
05-11-2017, 12:38
Deciding where to go. So many spots I want to explore. Only so much vacation time.

doingtime
05-11-2017, 12:55
** Coming up with a decent TRIP GOAL whereby I either explore a new route or form a Quest to reach a certain objective--

This is mine

jefals
05-12-2017, 03:15
I hate planning period! I just like to grab stuff and go. I'm sure I'd never have the discipline or inclination to plan for a thru-hike.

lonehiker
05-12-2017, 09:26
I hate planning period! I just like to grab stuff and go. I'm sure I'd never have the discipline or inclination to plan for a thru-hike.

Mr. Tarlin's re-supply articles, a guidebook, a plan for colder/warmer gear swap (see Tarlin articles), 3 days of food, done.

DownEaster
05-12-2017, 16:15
Mr. Tarlin's re-supply articles, a guidebook, a plan for colder/warmer gear swap (see Tarlin articles), 3 days of food, done.
A little less hand-waving, please. You're responding to a point about through-hike planning, not general backpacking trip planning. If it's a SoBo AT through-hike (not covered in Jack Tarlin's dated resupply notes), starting with 3 days of food is insufficient unless your name is "Anish". If it's the AT you might get by with one water bottle, but if it's the PCT that would be a planning failure. A single random guidebook might give you enough information to gauge distances between water sources, or might not; a lot depends on the current weather as opposed to the weather the guidebook author experienced.

Planning for really long hikes isn't simple, because long trails aren't homogeneous. I'm sure you wouldn't want someone to take your 1-sentence planning advice to heart and then come to misadventure.

BuckeyeBill
05-13-2017, 11:16
I never had the privilege to have met "Baltimore Jack" Tarlin, but if he offered advice, I would listen. Having hiked the AT eight times, many said he was a walking encyclopedia of information. His articles may be "dated" but the basic information they contain is still holds true. Jack may be gone, but he lives on through the information he left behind.

MtDoraDave
05-19-2017, 06:43
Like others have said, the hardest part for me is trying to determine where to "safely" park my truck for a week, and lining up the shuttle. The drive is what it is (boring, stressful, exhausting)... The rest is a walk in the woods ;)

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

double d
05-22-2017, 00:12
I mainly worry about Lyme disease and ticks-I know a guy who is in very good shape who got Lyme (I worked with him) and it just took him out physically and emotionally-very stressful experience for him and his health. So...........for me the one thing I really think about is how to prevent Lyme Disease (just like everyone else I guess).

Gambit McCrae
05-22-2017, 18:09
Over 6 months ago i planned a trip to finish PA that i would have left to start this thursday. From the years of of hearing all the bad things of rocks and such needless to say i was not the most excited about doing this trip. Decided to drive instead of fly. Had a buddy lined up that is a strong hiker, had a dog sitter. Had my vacation approved thru the 4th of june. Then in the last week my partner had to drop out, my dog sitter had unexpected plans come up and I was put on 10 hour days at work which results in quite a pretty OT check at the end of every week. Today i just kinda throu my hands up, my gut told me to call off the trip as the cards just werent lining up and so i did. There is money to be had, no friend to hike with, no dog sitter, season has gotten hotter faster this year, and I felt like I was having to force way too many things to fall into place where the past 47 trips or so have mostly fallen right in place. I thought of this thread as my ego and pride have taken a beating from myself today and realized THIS is one of the hardest parts of the trips I plan, is knowing when to call it, before I get in too deep. Gotta be able to take the blinders off, remove the romantics of the trail and stay realistic before Im 9 hours from home and find out it just wasnt meant to be this time.

bamboo bob
05-23-2017, 17:45
Logistics for getting too and from the trail. Any trail. The CDT is difficult logistics especially not knowing the end date. At 68 I always overestimate how far I'll go every day and every trip. The AT is great because I can just grab my gear and go and figure it out later.