PDA

View Full Version : Critique my gearlist, please!

mindi
01-28-2006, 00:59
I'm not leaving for my AT thru until March 22nd of '07, and I'm probably going to have most of my gear within a few months, so I have plenty of time to test out everything and replace what I don't like or what doesn't work for me. This is a VERY tentative list...I want feedback but remember I'm new to this so try not to be too mean :o ...The stuff with a star next to it I either already have or it is on its way..Clothing includes what I'll be wearing.

Gregory G Pack*
Tent-Not sure yet,thinking of MSR Hubba or similar
Bag-Cat's Meow 20 deg*
Tent stakes
silk bag liner*
Thermarest*
2 trash compacter bags (One to line pack and one for sleeping bag/sleep clothes)
Silnylon bag cover*
ION alcohol stove with potstand and windscreen
lighter
3 pairs Smartwool socks (have one pair now and I LOVE them)
possibly cheap liner socks, have to do some more hikes before I decide if I need them
Rainjacket*
3 bandannas*
gloves or mittens
1 long-sleeve silk top long underwear
1 silk bottom long underwear
1 wicking t-shirt
1 midweight long underwear bottom
1 midweight long underwear top
200 wt. fleece jacket
men's swim trunks
rainpants
balaclava
crocs*
gaiters*
food bag*
walmart grease pot
titanium spork*(someone is sending me this, but I may switch to a spoon)
fuel for stove in a water bottle
duct tape wrapped on a pencil or poles
small notepad
Gatorade bottle plus 2L bag for water
Klearwater(not sure how many bottles to take)
small pack baby wipes
small amount of toilet paper
diva cup
toothbrush and baking soda or toothpaste dots
small stick sunscreen
small DEET
lip balm
foot powder
small bottle Dr. Bronner's (repackaged to a smaller container)
piece of fruit netting for scrubbie
first aid kit with moleskin, tweezers, 1 gauze pad, 1 bandaid, and packet of neosporin
extra small knife
headlamp
rope for bearbagging
camera
extra memory cards for camera
2 extra batteries for camera/headlamp
light fannypack for camera/lipbalm/etc.
earplugs
whistle on a string
2 hairties
safety pin
vitamins and glucosamine
knee strap
prescription meds/beekit
otc meds
ID and cash/traveler's checks
calling card
wingfoot's book or Companion (I'm probably going to copy and staple together parts of both)
2 Ziploc bags for water dipping/trash
pin-on compass
hiking poles*

Thanks for any input! :)

bfitz
01-28-2006, 01:29
Mini-checkers? Deck of mini cards? Music thingy?
I don't know what a balaclava or a diva cup is but I'm copying your list just to use as a template for a friend.....

ScottP
01-28-2006, 02:15
It looks like you've done your homework. Below are a few more things to think about.

Tent-Not sure yet,thinking of MSR Hubba or similar

Look into hammocks and tarps as cheaper/lighter options.

silk bag liner*
why?
Thermarest*
Look into closed cell foam (ridgerest) as a cheaper/lighter option (if you can still return)

Silnylon bag cover*
Do you mean pack cover?
3 pairs Smartwool socks (have one pair now and I LOVE them)
Two might be plenty
possibly cheap liner socks, have to do some more hikes before I decide if I need them
I like liner socks. I use 2-3 pairs of them with no wool socks in the winter.
3 bandannas*
3?
gloves or mittens
Sure you need them? Depends on the seasonr
1 silk bottom long underwear
Why?
1 wicking t-shirt
Why when you already have the silk shirt?

200 wt. fleece jacket
You might want 300 wt, depending on season. Plus, here is a thread with some info on fleece alternatives http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-7338.html
men's swim trunks
Mesh running shorts might be more comfortable.
balaclava
Depending on season

gaiters*
Not sure if you need these or not. I find them unnessecary for trail hiking, some people swear by them.
food bag*
small pack baby wipes
You might do better to carry a small container of alcohol-disenfectant
small amount of toilet paper
What's wrong with leaves?
first aid kit with moleskin, tweezers, 1 gauze pad, 1 bandaid, and packet of neosporin
Athletic tape? Or do you plan on using duct tape? Butterfly bandages? Scissors? I think normal band aids are sort of useless. How big is that one gauze pad?
light fannypack for camera/lipbalm/etc.
What's wrong with your backpack?
knee strap
What is this?

Peaks
01-28-2006, 09:53
Everyone is different. I'd say that your list is probably a good place to start. As you go along, you will find things that you like, and things that you don't like. I wouldn't change too much on your list.

firefly
01-28-2006, 10:18
Here is something you may want to consider. I like to keep my camera, lip balm, and snacks handy. I tried hiking with a fannypack turned around in the front but it annoyed me. In the good old days my backpack was a Dana Design Terraplane (deep sigh) and I used a "wet rib" with it. This is a pouch that attaches to the shoulder strap and sternum strap of your pack. It has has a seperate pocket for your water bottle. It hangs down over your ribs and allows very quick access to stuff. They still sell the wet rib and they also have a version without the water bottle holder called a "dry rib". The wet rib weighs 7 oz. If this is something you are interested in but do not like the weight Golite sells something called the team pack. It weighs 1 oz..is pretty small but will hold that camera. It will attach to about any pack but it sits across your chest. Something else I thought of was your silk underwear. I have heard mixed comments from some people about having silk underwear on a long hiking trip. It may work great for you but you might want to poll some of the women thru hikers about their experiences with it. Good luck on your hike :)

Fiddler
01-28-2006, 11:03
Titanium spork? Be sure to take a lexan spoon as well. Then when you get enough of that spork and toss it in a garbage can or hiker box (sooner than you think) you will still have something to eat with.

mindi
01-28-2006, 12:12
Thanks everyone!
ScottP-I planned on taking the silk liner to sleep in alone when it's warm and to keep my bag cleaner...
I'm still really debating shelters. I like the idea of a double-wall tent because of the condensation/rain issue and because I'm more comfortable setting them up, but the lighter shelters will save me a lot of weight. I may go with something like the Hubba and try lugging it 20 miles with a loaded pack, if it is just too much, I can always sell it and get something lighter.
I might borrow a Ridgerest from someone and see if I'm comfortable sleeping on it, I was under the impression that the Thermarest would help with insulation a little when it got cold?
I did mean a pack cover :)
I'm thinking about going with a material other than silk for my base layer, the silk long underwear that I was considering are REALLY thin. The wicking t-shirt was just a short-sleeve option to wear when it's warmer or to layer with the long-sleeve shirt when it's colder.
I will look into a heavier fleece and mesh running shorts.
I'm still not sure about gloves, some people swear I need them and others don't think so if I have pockets in my jacket.
One pair of socks I'm probably going to keep with my bag so I have a clean, dry pair to throw on at night. The other two I'll probably switch between.
The three bandannas include the one I'll have on my head, so I'll have 2 tied to my pack. Potholder, sweat wipe, tie one on a tree so I know what direction to head in the morning, etc. :)
I am thinking about a small bottle of hand sanitizer along with the wipes and ditching the TP.
I'll probably use duct tape instead of athletic tape if I need to. Hopefully will be able to use the knife instead of scissors (or get a small swiss army style knife that has scissors). You're right about the bandaid probably being useless, they never stay on me anyway since I sweat too much. I figured a small gauze pad would be useful to cover up a wound that needs more attention until I get to a town. Butterfly bandages I will look into.
I like the 'wet rib' idea, I think what I'll do is probably get the fannypack and see if it drives me crazy, if it does I'll get one of those.
Mostly I want the fannypack to get at things that I might need on a moment's notice, like a camera. My backpack is toploading and I don't want to have to stop, take it off, and dig around when I see my first bear or moose (keeping my fingers crossed..lol..)
The knee strap is something I'm considering because my knees give me problems, I've heard good things about the Cho-pat. I'm going to do some more hiking first to see how my knees hold up before I decide if I want to get it.
bfitz-I thought about bringing a small walkman radio with or a bird book as my 'luxury item'..I want to see how my weight looks fully packed first. I already have the small notepad for journaling and writing down what I take pictures of, so I don't want to overdo it. The Diva cup is a female product for that time of the month. Your friend can find it online if she's interested or email me if you need a link. A balaclava is like a hood that covers your neck and head with a hole for your face.
Fiddler-the spork is being sent to me free, but I'll probably end up going with a spoon. I'm going to try it out first before I decide. :)

Thanks for the input everyone, keep it coming!! Once I get everything and try it out, I'll report back on how everything worked and what I replaced/retooled.
:) Mindi

jackiebolen
01-28-2006, 13:15
Your knick-knacks are out of control! I feel overwhelmed just reading your list, I can only imagine how you'll feel on the trail. Just a couple quick suggestions:

Only 1 bandanna is necessary.
Only 1 long underwear bottoms

Forget the swim trunks, rain pants, fruit netting, fannypack, whistle, safety pins, compass

Seeker
01-29-2006, 03:14
bandana for which way to go in the AM- i hope you're kidding... GA=ME, look at the sun in the morning, then go left... that's north. :D

swim trunks seem to be what you're wearing, and they'll work fine...

rainpants-i didn't see an outer shell pants garment. these may be it, but they might only be needed for a few weeks. send home if not used.

fruit netting-hmm. try it and see. can always get rid of it. stick, leaves, or pine needles work too.

fannypack-keep it and see. you seem to have a lot of things that you want 'handy'... this is a way to do it. if it's not useful, send it home.

whistle/compass/safety pins-keep them and see. if they become too heavy, you can decide then. i keep two safety pins in my fleece hat.

duplicate longjohns aren't necessary, imho.

"Rope" for bearbagging-i hope you meant a light cord and not true 'rope'. kelty triptease is 1oz for 50'. 1/8'' or 3/16'' line will also work fine, and can weigh as little as 3-4oz.

spork-i gotta agree with a previous poster...a lexan tablespoon does it all for me.

gaiters-some people swear by them, some swear at them. if you're expecting snow, they might be useful. i think you did mention a march start date, so that makes more sense now...

you haven't mentioned boots/shoes...

socks-2 pairs is fine... one to hike in, one either dry inside your pack or around your neck/waist/inside your shirt to dry them out. try three for starters. you can send one home if you want to later on.

is klearwater a chemical water treatment like Aqua Mira or polar-pur? never heard of it. also, didn't see any water bottles... suggest two 20oz widemouth waterbottles like from Aqua Fina or gatorade. lighter than nalgene (1 oz vs 6 oz), and maybe a 1qt platypus in case you need to carry a little more on a dry section of trail.

overall, looks good.

Ridge
01-29-2006, 04:25
You have room for adjustments. I would carry a lot, instead of a little, Toilet Paper. You really need to do a shakedown of several days or even a week before you try a long hike.

neo
01-29-2006, 11:23
ditch the tent and sleeping bag and get a hammock and sleep quilt:cool: neo

HarleyHogPit
01-29-2006, 13:54
I'm planning my thru hike for this March and I am very impressed with your list. I just got back from the PA Ruck (great time, awesome people) and they gave some great tips on gear. I think I am going to go with the Hubba tent myself and then switch to a hammock in the summer. I wanted to ask you a few questions about the diva cup. I was thinking about getting one for the trail but I think it may be too hard to keep clean. Also, what kind of rain jacket do you have? I'm still trying to decide on rain gear. I don't know how necessary traveler's checks will be. One guy told me he carried them all the way from Georgia to Maine and the cashed them in when he got home. I'd be interested to know what the base weight of your pack will be because your list is very similar to mine with the exception of a few items.

Have you thought about shoes?

Sounds to me like you should start this March.

mweinstone
01-29-2006, 22:54
not needed;2 bandanas,poles,compass,dip bags,wingfoot book,otc meds,bee kit,knee strap,vitimins etc,safe pin,whistle,plugs,batts,fanny,camera,cam card,band aid,gause,neo,lip,sun,tpaste ,wipes ,cup,clearwater,notepad,duct tape,pencil,gaiter.every thing else is fine. your preparing for way to many things.instead of preparing to repair and treat illness and give first aid and take pics and keep journels and instead of calling for help or drinking from a cup or keeping your legs protected and all these things. why not throw caution to the wind and simply be dry,feed,warm,and sheltered?and go for a walk.your not leaving the planet. this isnt your last chance to get neosporin ointment.you want to shed your worries and streangthen your ability to survive without all this.try going into the woods with nothing but a sleeping bag and a tarp for just one night and see the ability of our great bodys to simply need a warm spot and a sip of water.then pack you pack with simplicity in mind.we are simple,our sosiaty is not.the AT is .

K-Man
01-30-2006, 00:05
You have an excellent gear list going here. Everyone has their own opinion as to what gear is "right". My suggestion is to take everything you have listed here out as much as you can before your thruhike and pay attention to what you use and what keeps getting shoved back in your pack. I make a list of every single item that goes into my pack before a trip and when I get back I check to see if I used that piece of gear or not. If two or three trips go by that I haven't used a piece of gear (and it's not first aid or repair or rain type stuff), it gets left at home the next time. This approach has really helped me cut my weight down. I will see you on the trail next March, I'm starting 5 days before you.

mindi
01-31-2006, 01:26
Thank you everyone for the great advice!
I'm definitely going to do several hikes with all my gear once I get it all and then adjust accordingly based on how comfortable the weight is and what I find that I don't need.
Harley, I haven't tried out the Diva cup yet, but I'm getting it in the next month or so, so I can try it at home and see how it works. From what I've heard from other women, it's pretty easy to rinse out with water on the trail (of course you'll want to dump the water in a cathole or something), then you can give it a more thorough cleaning when you get into town if necessary. I'm guessing that the baby wipes will come in handy in that regard as well. After I try it out on a hike I'll be happy to let you know how it worked.
The rainjacket I had sent to me by another hiker. It's a Red Ledge with the mesh lining cut out to save weight. It is light, has a hood and pockets, armpit zippers for ventilation, and taped seams. I wore it just out in the yard today while I was planting some stuff in the rain, and it kept me dry without making me sweaty, but obviously I'll have to get out doing some strenuous hiking in it before I can really tell how well it's going to work.
The shoes that I chose are Merrells, which I have been told by several people are way too heavy. However, I tried on about 15 pairs of shoes and boots, and they were the only ones that felt good on my feet and didn't cause toe cramping/slamming into the front or a lot of heel slippage even though they are a size bigger than my usual size. I'll of course have to do a lot more hiking in them before I decide if they are too heavy and I can always find something lighter if I need to.
The Klearwater is a new product that is similar to Aqua Mira, but it's all in one container instead of two, so it doesn't require mixing and you don't have the problem of one bottle running out before the other.
I wish I was leaving this March! Unfortunately I have to save money first. Anyway, the extra time will be good to get myself in shape and test out all my gear and rework/replace as necessary.
Here is the link to the Diva Cup..Diva Menstrual Cup (http://pacificcoast.net/%7Emanymoons/divacup.html)...and the Klearwater...KlearWater by Xinix Chlorine Dioxide No-Mix Water Treatment Solution @ Backpac (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/klearwater_xinix_chlorine_dioxide_clo2_water_treat ment.html?id=sL6RJiqU:205.188.116.134)
Let me know if those don't work and I can always email the links, I haven't tried putting a link in a post yet so I'm not sure if I did it right.
K-Man, can't wait to see you out there!

Nokia
01-31-2006, 02:30
Depending on when you are going, you might have too many clothes. I like to have a set I hike in (usually shorts, t-shirt, and maybe a mid layer if I'm chilly). If you get cold still throw on the rain coat. That thing will keep things nice and toasty, but your clothes will get just as wet. I keep fleece pants, one base layer bottom, a fleece and a down jacket for in camp. The only other thing is I agree you only need 2 pairs of socks and 1 bandana. Oh and I don't think poles are optional. You'll love them in all the ups and downs in the south. Have a great hike!

jlb2012
01-31-2006, 08:43
wrt the bee kit - if you are allergic to bee stings I would recommend getting desensitized before your hike since you have time and just taking some antihistimine on the hike - if you are not allergic to bee stings then don't bother with the bee kit

wrt bandanas - 3 is what i use - 1 wrapped around my head to keep the sweat out of my eyes, one to blow my nose on and one to wipe out my pot and spoon

wrt to spoon - I use an MRE spoon these days but I used to use the lexan table spoon - the MRE spoon is slightly lighter but with a longer handle that is good for eating out of a zip lock bag

wrt Walmart grease pot - I would recommend the one from K-Mart (Stanco) - see thread : http://www.thebackpacker.com/trailtalk/thread/42465,3.php or the 3 cup pot from Antigravity gear

mindi
01-31-2006, 10:46
As far as the bee kit, I went into anaphylactic (sp?) shock when I was about 7 from bee stings. I received allergy shots for some time when I was a kid but I didn't finish them, so my doctor said I probably have been desensitized enough that a Benadryl will take care of any reaction I'd have from a single sting. He recommended that I take the beekit anyway in case I get stung more than once or have an unexpected reaction. This is one case where it's better to be overly cautious and take the extra weight in my opinion, because if I do have a severe reaction, there's no way I'd make it to help in time unless I have the shot.
I just had someone send me the link to the Kmart grease pot yesterday, I agree it looks like a better option.
I'm still trying to figure out how many bottles of the Klearwater I'll need for the whole hike so I can coordinate how much I'll need to carry and put in my maildrops.
I'm reworking my clothing list and I'll repost it once I get it figured out. Thanks again for the help, everyone!

neo
01-31-2006, 10:50
As far as the bee kit, I went into anaphylactic (sp?) shock when I was about 7 from bee stings. I received allergy shots for some time when I was a kid but I didn't finish them, so my doctor said I probably have been desensitized enough that a Benadryl will take care of any reaction I'd have from a single sting. He recommended that I take the beekit anyway in case I get stung more than once or have an unexpected reaction. This is one case where it's better to be overly cautious and take the extra weight in my opinion, because if I do have a severe reaction, there's no way I'd make it to help in time unless I have the shot.
I just had someone send me the link to the Kmart grease pot yesterday, I agree it looks like a better option.
I'm still trying to figure out how many bottles of the Klearwater I'll need for the whole hike so I can coordinate how much I'll need to carry and put in my maildrops.
I'm reworking my clothing list and I'll repost it once I get it figured out. Thanks again for the help, everyone!

you will do fine,you will learn more about what you need and dont need as you hike the trail
i started out with 60 lb pack in georgia,now it never gets over 25 lbs,
good luck on your thru hike:cool: neo

John B
01-31-2006, 11:46
I liked the safety pins so much that I now keep 4 attached to my pack. Great for hanging clothes off the pack to dry while hiking. I also carried a ziploc baggie for my trash. And I can't remember what all I used them for, but I found that a couple of rubber bands were helpful.

I used a travel toothbrush and a travel-sized tube of toothpaste and brushed after every single meal and nearly every snack. I felt much better for doing so. As I'm sure you know, a little bit of Dr. Bronner's goes a long way. I managed to get cleaned up (by trail standards) every afternoon. Gelled alcohol is great for using before handling food. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I felt better for being as clean as I could. But then others seem to relish the slop and stink, so whatever works for you.

That's my .02 worth. Good luck.

Moxie00
01-31-2006, 13:46
I've not only thru hiked but done alot of extended trips in the west and southwest. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes but my answere are based on my personel prefrences and things I've seen fellow hikers use.
Gregory-good choice, I started out with an LL Bean, bought a Gregory in Damascus. Now use a Lowe Alpine, (fits my frame size better)
Tent; Consider the LL Bean lite stuff solo. Cheap, light, and a bug screen.
Bag, okey
The Stuff comes with alominum stakes, very light-I must have found a dozen stakes at camp sites along the AT.
Silk Liner- forget it, you don't need it.
Thermarest, started out with one, developed slow leak, couldn't find it. much prefer closed cel I bought to replace it.
Use your pack cover and forget the compactor bags. A good cover keeps everything in your pack dry.
alcohol stove is an excellent choice, I left my wind screen in a hiker box as unnecessary extra gear.
Two Smartwool lasted me Ga to Me and I still have them, Never backpack with smartwools without liners, I went the distance without a single blister or hot spot, without the liners I get both.
Rainjacket, get a set of FroggsToggs. I sent my goretex jacket and rainpants home. Toggs don't need treatment when washing, are much lighter and very durable, breathable, wind and waterproof and dirt cheap.
I took one pair if light fleese gloves.
One long sleeve wicking shirt is all you need, forget the silk top. Long underware bottoms are good, the wicking long sleeve is the only top you will need. No tee shirt but a short sleeve button shirt lets in air and I prefered it on hot days.
I prefer a light fleese pullover, get good quality.
I carried swim trunks as back up shorts and to wear in town while I did my laundry.
Rainpants, see FroggsToggs
Balaclava, leave it home, get a fleese hat.
crocs okey,
gaiters, don't leave home without them, when you hike in the rain they keep watter out of your boots and are great in the mud and snow you are bound to run into.
what is a greesepot? if I don't know what it is you don't need it.
A lexan spoon is all you need, (I had two)
Soda bottle my choice for fuel bottle.
Duct tape on hiking pole, way I did it.
ditto note pad
Old pepsi bottle good for water, I also had two collapasable nalgene water bags, (2 liter)
Forget the baby wipes, purill or any alcohol sanitizer works well with your bandana.
A half roll of toilet paper in a zip lock bag worked for me.
Don't need a cup, sent mine home.
Don't carry deet and sunscreen until you need them, purchase them when they become necessary. Same with lip balm,
I didn't need foot powder but it is nice.
I found a small bar of 100% Ivory soap in a zip lock more convient than Dr. Bronners or liquid camp soap.
Add a tube of hydrocortisone to first aid kit, you will get a rash from time to time.
Get a Swiss Army Knife, it does everything for the weight.
Headlamp, I have several, prefer the Tika Plus
Rope is good, light nylon best. Carry a cheap carabena to hang pack.
Use rechargeable batteries, carry two spares and charge them at hostels, A small charger weighs very little. Use in camera and headlamp,
A small camera on your backpack strap will keep your camera close at hand. Often great photo ops come up quickly and you don't want to fiddle for your camera. A whistle should also be on your pack shoulder strap. Forget the earplugs, you will be tired enough to sleep through anything or can improvise ear plugs. I carried several safety pins on my pack and used them to hold socks and underware to dry while I hiked.
Vitamins, and meds, don't leave home without them.
You need ID, cash, travelers checks, also have at least $2 in change as you may find a soda machine at a road or trail crossing and want a cold drink, Photocopy the pages of the data book and companion and mail just the pages you need for the section you are on to yourself.
You shouldn't need the compass, I sent mine home. The sun will tell you which way is north or south and that is all yoiu need to know. Just follow the blazes, If you are northbound east is right and west is left.
I love hiking poles.
A final word, if everyone hasd the same preferences Ben and Jerry would only hsve to make one flavor. What I outlined worked for me but may not work so well for you. Good luck and I hope to see you in Maine, I maintain a section of the trail here and also spend alot of time hiking on it.

mweinstone
01-31-2006, 19:55
i just read everything concerning menstral cup holders!

mindi
02-01-2006, 00:22
thank you all again for the suggestions, especially for your detailed list, Moxie! Working a lot lately..(unfortunately the gear and the hike aren't going to pay for themselves..) so I haven't had a chance to rework my list yet as far as clothes, etc. but I will post updates to the list and also let you all know weights,what I replaced/ditched, etc. after I get it all and do some hiking with it. Thanks again, everyone!
:) mindi

mindi
02-03-2006, 00:28
Here is my updated clothing list...I found many of these items on closeout online, so nothing is over $20 (a lot of it is much less)...I haven't purchased any of it yet though, since I wanted to wait for a little feedback first. I really haven't changed much other than eliminating the long sleeved lightweight top and going for synthetic base layers instead of silk. Anyway, here it is...thanks for your help, everyone!
Lightweight wicking long underwear bottoms-1 pair
1 short sleeve wicking top
Expedition weight long underwear-one each top and bottom
Rainpants
shorts (mesh or swim trunks)
Fleece jacket
Rainjacket
Balaclava
3 pairs smartwool socks
still not sure about gloves.

I'm actually really debating if I'm going to need the rainpants or not. Somehow I have a feeling I'd end up hardly using them except for when I'm doing laundry in town.
I'm also considering the Coleman Inyo Solo tent. I've contacted them for more information about their return/exchange policy before I buy it though, so I can try it out and see how I like it first. The price is right and with a little trimming I can get the weight down, another female hiker I talked to used the older version of this tent on a thru and loved it but I really have to take it out and sleep in it before I know if it's for me.
I did my first long dayhike last week through the Big Cypress Swamp and my cheapo poles performed beautifully, as did the smartwools! I thought they'd be trashed with all the mud, but after I hosed them down and ran them through the wash they were as good as new.
Hopefully I am going to have all or nearly all of my gear by the end of March/early April, then I'm going to weigh it, trim it, and test it out.
I also had someone ask me the other day what my 'luxury item' was going to be. I hadn't thought about it much. What kind of luxury items do all of you carry, if you did? I am thinking about a small radio with earbuds or a bird book, but I'm not sure. I've heard conflicting reports about radio reception on the AT but I'd probably only use it in my tent at night.
Thanks again for help and suggestions..

Jack Tarlin
02-03-2006, 00:39
My luxury items:

*A book, sometimes a large one.
*Bourbon
*Extra fresh fruit
*A 2-person tent

By the way, your list is coming along well. Bring gloves of some sort; you almost certainly will run into sleet or snow with a late-March start.

simplehiker
02-06-2006, 02:12
The grease pot is way over hyped. It is a germ magnet with his curled lip! If you want to be guaranteed to get some type of gut bug cook something other then water in this pot. A good cooking pot is a nice place to splurge after saving money on other items.

Think about what you will be cooking and how you cooking after a month or two on the trail. You will most likely be cooking more gooey complex meals then being satisfied with water boil only meals. A non-stick coating is a must in my opinion if you are only carrying 1 cook-able pot.

Search around the mainstream hiker online retail then start looking at the small independent stores. I am sure you will be able to find a nice nonstick Ti pot you will be happy with.

Seeker
02-06-2006, 22:15
The grease pot is way over hyped. It is a germ magnet with his curled lip! If you want to be guaranteed to get some type of gut bug cook something other then water in this pot. A good cooking pot is a nice place to splurge after saving money on other items.

Think about what you will be cooking and how you cooking after a month or two on the trail. You will most likely be cooking more gooey complex meals then being satisfied with water boil only meals. A non-stick coating is a must in my opinion if you are only carrying 1 cook-able pot.

Search around the mainstream hiker online retail then start looking at the small independent stores. I am sure you will be able to find a nice nonstick Ti pot you will be happy with.

you can cut the lip off with a pair of decent tin snips and then file the edge down flat... works great!

simplehiker
02-06-2006, 23:34
you can cut the lip off with a pair of decent tin snips and then file the edge down flat... works great!

It takes a lot of work and some skill to do this correctly. I have done it and I have seen others. As simple as it is to some, cutting and filing metal is not a common skill for most. Most of the time it makes just a different place to store food bits. The lip curl also gives the grease pot stability. For all that work and one ugly, highly stick pan I think its worth the cost to just buy a good pot. And then you can have nice light weight lid and a actual handle.

And I don't want to seem over germ-a-phobe but I happen to think most trail sickness is due to poor hiker hygiene such as failure to wash hands and pots as opposed to over-hyped water purification concerns.

Sorry for the thread hijack with my anti-grease pot rants. :)

mindi
02-07-2006, 10:20
The Kmart greasepot does not have the lip that turns inward like the Walmart pot, so I'm going to go with that if I don't get a Titanium pot. Thanks for the tips, everyone.

simplehiker
02-07-2006, 13:09
The Kmart greasepot does not have the lip that turns inward like the Walmart pot, so I'm going to go with that if I don't get a Titanium pot. Thanks for the tips, everyone.

Wow, learn something new every day. Didn't know kmart has a pot.. sweet. Well I will be of to the big K tonight to check it out.

Programbo
02-13-2006, 19:56
LOL..I`m tempted to post what I would commonly carry on a month long (Or longer) trip back in the early-mid 70`s just for yuks...But I think it`s better to train alittle harder and be able to carry the extra few pounds than it is to have to go without or rough it for that long

Seeker
02-14-2006, 14:07
It takes a lot of work and some skill to do this correctly. I have done it and I have seen others. As simple as it is to some, cutting and filing metal is not a common skill for most.

hmm... you might be right... i'm pretty handy... others might not be... thanks for reminding me of that...

still good to find out that kmart has one without the lip...

sdoownek
03-20-2006, 08:26
what is a greesepot? if I don't know what it is you don't need it.

Wow. For not being able to spell or maintain a hold on decent written communication, you're an arrogant bastard.

sdoownek
03-20-2006, 08:28
I'm with B-Jack; my luxury is a flask of Makers Mark.