PDA

View Full Version : The Finer Things In Life

Mr. Dio
05-10-2017, 08:06
For all thru-hikers past and present , what were the luxury items you kept on trail despite the weight? The crazier the better.

Runner2017
05-10-2017, 08:07
two bottles of scotch

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Francis Sawyer
05-10-2017, 08:42
Scotch, scotchy-scotch feel in running down into my belly!

Francis Sawyer
05-10-2017, 08:43
Cigars! St Louis-Rey series G 6x60 maduro .

Leo L.
05-10-2017, 09:02
I carry a family size pack of Celebrations.
One piece after every meal is my extravagance!
http://www.celebrations.de/

Longboysfan
05-10-2017, 13:09
Tea and sugar.

Old Hiker
05-10-2017, 13:29
Shots of Fireball - celebrate mid-way and the end.

Extra clean, dry socks.

Gambit McCrae
05-10-2017, 13:55
Jack Daniels. Copenhagen. Inflate Pad. Battery Pack.

Sarcasm the elf
05-10-2017, 15:26
A 55 pound dog.

Deadeye
05-10-2017, 15:34
Heady Topper

Sarcasm the elf
05-10-2017, 15:52
Heady Topper
And here I can't even get my hands on any. :o

Riocielo
05-10-2017, 15:55
Half and half (mini-moos) for my coffee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Riocielo
05-10-2017, 15:57
Half and half (mini-moos) for my coffee.

Just saw this was addressed to thru-hikers. I'll bet us section hikers carry even crazier things since we don't carry them as far.

BuckeyeBill
05-10-2017, 16:00
Real set of cutlery: knife, fork and spoon.

Dogwood
05-10-2017, 18:03
Pretty much everthing beyond water, oxygen, some nourishment, and some way to address of the elements are luxuries/convienences.

4shot
05-10-2017, 19:30
A book. I like to read for a few minutes in my tent. Also, my sleeping pad was ginormous by most thru hiker standards. but it helped me sleep. which helped me get through the next day. rinse, lather, repeat.Before you know it, you're at the other mountain that's 2100 miles +/- from the one you started at. It was pretty easy for the most part except for the times it wasn't. then it was difficult. but the other times that weren't difficult were easy. For the most part. It was a vacation as they say. just the most unusual vacation of your entire life because it' s hard to find lobster or prime rib or even a decent cabernet or gin and tonic in places like Franklin or Duncannon. but you will leave the trail with your books, sleeping pads and whatever else you carry PLUS a really cool trail name which no one in the real world will ever know or understand. But you don't really care because you no longer have to eat peanut butter sandwiches every day or eat those instant mashed potatoes or Snickers bars all of which taste really good while 800 miles from your starting point but if you had to eat that crap at your real house in your real life you would toss it in the garbage can derisively whilst ordering takeout Chinese or pizza and dreaming of doing it all over again. simply because you love vacations.The unusual kind.

Lnj
05-11-2017, 09:35
A book. I like to read for a few minutes in my tent. Also, my sleeping pad was ginormous by most thru hiker standards. but it helped me sleep. which helped me get through the next day. rinse, lather, repeat.Before you know it, you're at the other mountain that's 2100 miles +/- from the one you started at. It was pretty easy for the most part except for the times it wasn't. then it was difficult. but the other times that weren't difficult were easy. For the most part. It was a vacation as they say. just the most unusual vacation of your entire life because it' s hard to find lobster or prime rib or even a decent cabernet or gin and tonic in places like Franklin or Duncannon. but you will leave the trail with your books, sleeping pads and whatever else you carry PLUS a really cool trail name which no one in the real world will ever know or understand. But you don't really care because you no longer have to eat peanut butter sandwiches every day or eat those instant mashed potatoes or Snickers bars all of which taste really good while 800 miles from your starting point but if you had to eat that crap at your real house in your real life you would toss it in the garbage can derisively whilst ordering takeout Chinese or pizza and dreaming of doing it all over again. simply because you love vacations.The unusual kind.

I love your way with words! Here here!! Clink and drink.

Pony
05-13-2017, 22:22
Coffee. Not that instant crap, real coffee.